Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Downwards  (Read 1551 times)

stamper

Downwards
« on: June 22, 2014, 10:21:34 am »

Stairwell in Scotland's Centre for Design.

Richowens

Re: Downwards
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 11:24:06 am »

Well seen, well executed...........WOW.

Rich

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 12:08:55 pm »

Bravo Stamper. Finally!: something to see on User Critiques other than tourist snapshots and flower pics that don't come up to seed catalogue standards. It's been about two weeks since the last post worth a response -- with the single exception of sharperstill's "2 Boat Lengths." Keep doing this. And Seamus, it's been too long since we've seen any of your work. I hope you're shooting.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 10:19:18 am »

Bravo Stamper. Finally!: something to see on User Critiques other than tourist snapshots and flower pics that don't come up to seed catalogue standards. It's been about two weeks since the last post worth a response -- with the single exception of sharperstill's "2 Boat Lengths." Keep doing this. And Seamus, it's been too long since we've seen any of your work. I hope you're shooting.

Nice to see Russ at his honest best!

Stamper, I might have said something about one of your recent posts being my favourite - but this one trumps that one...it is one of those that I would like to have taken!
 "Bravo!" has been copyrighted here so I'll say "Dis moers!" (Afrikaans for Bravo)  :)

William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

B-Ark

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 10:59:29 am »

Excellently seen and captured.

I'm guessing that this isn't just a "fortuitous accident" - you pre-visualized this, and then waited for (or 'ordered') a human through the scene.

stamper

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 05:52:33 am »

Correct. I thought the stairwell looked like a good high contrast abstract type of image which I captured and decided to wait for a person to pass. It happened quickly - thank goodness because I tend to be impatient - and the image was what I got with little processing, other than a switch to B&W in Silver Efex pro to drain what little colour there was. Thanks Russ and William for your kind comments. :)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 02:57:19 pm »

Late to the party, so I can only join the chorus of accolades.

However, since you admitted in another thread that nitpicking annoys you, in particular about imperfections, I couldn't resist: there is a distracting highlight at the very left edge, the bottom, curved part of the handlebar. Cropping out that part of the image would also help with the overall feeling of symmetry. Another suggestion: there is a man figure in the upper window, which nicely juxtaposes with the real guy in the lower part; it might make sense to accentuate it a bit with increased local Clarity and/or contrast. Just a thought, feel free to ignore it.

RSL

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 03:19:03 pm »

ROTFL!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 03:20:45 pm »

ROTFL!

Are you settling a score, Russ? ;)

RSL

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 03:48:26 pm »

Absolutely! ;D

stamper

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 03:59:24 am »

Slobodan, thanks for your praise. Regarding the highlight on the handlebar - it is called a banister in Scotland - I left it there as a counterpoint to the highlight on the opposite handlebar. I could have darkened the figure in the window pane a little bit more but it would possibly have competed more with the figure on the stair? As to nitpicking then in my 14 years of shooting I have yet to capture an image that was perfect that didn't have something that wasn't quite right in the scene. Some photographers spend hours on an image and leave it for another day, usually with layers in PS. They then come back to it for a final polish and are still not really happy with the final outcome. In reality the image is never finished in their mind, always wondering if there is a final tweak. No matter what they do to the image another person will always find a way to "improve" it? Personally I feel that if you get the image to look "good" in a reasonable length of time then it is time finish up and move on to another and let the viewer of the image have their "nitpick" If the "nitpick" isn't unreasonable then I am happy. ;) :) BTW I am looking forward to your next offering because I have a particularly sharp scalpel the size of a pitchfork that I would like to wield. Hopefully you won't do an Isaac on me and won't post anything? ;D

seamus finn

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 09:25:02 am »

Came late to this too. It's a wonderful image - one of your best.

John R

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 06:17:00 pm »

I agree, wonderful.

JR

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 03:45:18 pm »

Excellent! Well seen and composed.

Russ - I agree, but am also guilty of adding tourist shots (hopefully not any of the flower photos you describe!). But, you must also consider the name of this website before you are too critical. The word "Landscape" just might have an affect on what we choose to post.

While not a landscape, stamper's photo is greatly appreciated.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

RSL

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 04:05:29 pm »

Terry, Check the LuLa front page right now. Michael posts all sorts of pictures including, frequently, street. I suspect the title "Luminous Landscape" has a more general meaning than you're accepting. Perhaps it's a reference to life.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 05:05:51 pm »

Terry, Check the LuLa front page right now. Michael posts all sorts of pictures including, frequently, street. I suspect the title "Luminous Landscape" has a more general meaning than you're accepting. Perhaps it's a reference to life.

No slight meant in any way - I spoke with my tongue somewhat planted in my cheek, which is why I added the "greatly appreciated" comment. If I wanted only landscapes, I wouldn't be here!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up