Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: West Coast of Ireland  (Read 3689 times)

ajw

West Coast of Ireland
« on: September 20, 2005, 03:33:13 am »

Hi

My girlfriend and I are planning on taking a holiday traveling up the west coast of Ireland next month. Can anyone suggest any MUST SEE locations between Limerick and Sligo for us to stop off at.

Thanks

Andy

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
West Coast of Ireland
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 08:33:03 am »

I visited that very region on my honeymoon in 1992 (Ireland met both of our requirements: cheap and overseas! I don't think cheap anymore applies.) I met not a single Irishman/-woman from 16 to 96 who was not warm, welcoming, and eager to chat with us tourists. The food--especially seafood--like the hospitality, was fabulous, and the beer...oh, the beer! I regret only that i've not had a chance to return.

The Cliffs of Moher are quite stunning; and as I recall pretty much the entire countryside in that area offers one photographic vista after another. I wish I could be more specific--someone will doubtless pipe up--but the whole region is a photographer's bacchanal.

I just hope your companion understands that she will be on her own while you take care of important photographic business; and I hope you like green. It has to be the greenest place on the earth.

enjoy yourself--I'm jealous.

Mike (mostly Sicilian but irish at heart) Sebastian
michael sebast

Wim van Velzen

• http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl
West Coast of Ireland
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 09:57:19 am »

Hi Andy,

I would like to do the same! I am sure you will love the Cliffs of Moher, as Mike already mentioned, as well as the entire area of The Burren. Connemara and Mayo are well worth a visit also.
Sligo is nice, but less spectacular than the other areas.

And the Irish are very nice people indeed!

You can see my Ireland photos here.
I don't have a signature.

Wim van Velzen

• http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl
West Coast of Ireland
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 09:58:50 am »

sorry, double post
I don't have a signature.

ajw

West Coast of Ireland
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 08:28:19 am »

Wim
Some very nice shots of Ireland on your site.  I must say that the Burren was on the plans already.  

Mike
I'm not sure if my girlfriend realises quite how much time I plan to spend wondering the hills, but we'll see.

Thanks
Andy

rincewind9

West Coast of Ireland
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 03:58:51 am »

As per the posts above, the Burren and the Cliffs of Moher are the major draws in Clare. Visit Doolin if you can (it makes a good base for both of the above, and affords some good views of the cliffs from its harbour. Be warned, however, that it's a huge tourist draw in and of itself (it's a center of traditional music) and is thus crowded in the peak season.

If you have time (a few days, at least), visit the Aran Islands. Inis Mor features a spectacular ancient (megalithic, if I recall correctly) fort named Dun Aungus. It's a semi-circular stone fort perched on a 300ft cliff.

My advice would be to take the coast road as much as possible, detouring inland for significant locations. Connemara is well worth spending time in. Achill Island in Mayo will provide a day or two's exploring.

Sligo itself offers some very impressive scenery - the Ox Mountains are not insignificant, and have a wonderful monolithic feel to them. Particularly spectacular is Benbulbin just north of Sligo town. While you're in the area, visit Lough Gill just to the south and east of Sligo town.

Since you're so close, and if you have time it's well worth taking the drive to Slieve League in Donegal. It's a long drive from Sligo if you're just doing a day trip, so it's a good idea to get accommodation locally (somewhere around Killybegs is a good idea, but stay on the west side of town if you don't like the smell of fish). Slieve League is a spectacular mountain with the (purportedly) highest sea cliffs in Europe - although I've seen the same moniker given to cliffs in Scotland, Shetland and St. Kilda.

There's a (cringe-inducing in places) road to an overlook at the cliff tops that gives a very impressive view. Go at sunset for a real treat, although you may be eaten alive by midges. Buy midge repellant and you'll suffer less. Nonetheless, it's worth the trip.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Peter

Fine art prints: www.petercox.ie

ahphoto

West Coast of Ireland
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 09:07:37 am »

All the above suggestions are very good, there should not be any bugs at this time of year. Doolough in Mayo is wonderfull as is Killiary Harbour, Ireland's only Fjiord and its deepest natural harbour. The burren might be a bit bleak right now as spring is the best time to see the unique flora but the landscape is still stunning. Remember if you don't go out making images on a bad day, you won't know what a good day looks like. As I live in Ireland , I would be happy to provide any more information. Regards, Anthony
Anthony Hobbs
Photographer Kilkenny, Ire
Pages: [1]   Go Up