Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need new video card for Photoshop CC 2014  (Read 2745 times)

kjkahn

Need new video card for Photoshop CC 2014
« on: June 20, 2014, 12:01:45 pm »

My video driver (ATI Radeon 5770), crashes Photoshop CC if I don't give it a few seconds after opening before I open a file. It causes CC 2014 to crash every time as soon as it opens. I have the latest driver but I can't make it work (Windows 7). Adobe won't reccomend a video card but the tech guy I spoke to suggested that the cards at the top of their list of tested cards are the ones to look at.

They are: nVidia GeForce: 400, 500, 600, 700 series

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cs6-gpu-faq1.html#Tested%20video%20cards%20for%20Photoshop%20CC%20and%20CC%202014

Can anyone recommend a reliable GeForce card. It has to fit in a PCI Express 3.0 x16 (or 2.0 x16) slot or slots (I have 3). If I understand it correctly, Photoshop doesn't care about Cudas or other high-performance features. I'm not a gamer.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Re: Need new video card for Photoshop CC 2014
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 12:20:25 pm »

My video driver (ATI Radeon 5770), crashes Photoshop CC if I don't give it a few seconds after opening before I open a file. It causes CC 2014 to crash every time as soon as it opens. I have the latest driver but I can't make it work (Windows 7).

If you like ATI (now AMD), you don't have to switch. I'm using a FirePro 4900 under Win 7 and it works great with Ps CC and Ps CC (2014). Here are the driver details:

Jim

kjkahn

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 04:50:27 pm »

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 05:02:39 pm »

Is your card a Sapphire?

I believe so, although I don't remember AMD using that name when I bought it. The model number, V4900, is right.

Jim

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 05:11:10 pm »

Is your card a Sapphire?

I see from their website that Sapphire is AMD's distributor for the FirePro line:

"October 2013: SAPPHIRE is appointed the AMD FirePro™ Exclusive Global Distribution Partner."

So it looks like that's the only way you can buy the card now.

Jim

kjkahn

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 05:38:28 pm »

I see from their website that Sapphire is AMD's distributor for the FirePro line:

"October 2013: SAPPHIRE is appointed the AMD FirePro™ Exclusive Global Distribution Partner."

So it looks like that's the only way you can buy the card now.

Jim

That's probably a good thing.  ATI, and later AMD, did not sell Radeons. They sold GPU chip sets to third-party manufacturers who built and sold Radeon-based video cards. The  manufacturers included Sapphire, XFX, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, Biostar, Gainward, Diamond, HIS, PowerColor, Club 3D, VisionTek and Force3D. It's difficult enough to pick a card with the right specs without worrying about the card manufacurer's quality control or individual quirks.

With the FirePro, you know what you are getting. My concerns are buying a reliable card and one for which driver support will extend through the next round of software upgrades.

Thanks again,
Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up