Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote control or wired "cable release" for the Sony A7R  (Read 2978 times)

Paul Roark

Remote control or wired "cable release" for the Sony A7R
« on: June 20, 2014, 11:25:36 am »

Do any of the third party remotes work with this camera?  A B&H Photo rep has informed me the Vello RS S1ii does not work.  The Sony RM-VPR1 is what the rep has steered me to.  It's, of course, more expensive, but more important for me at the moment is that it's out of stock and I don't have the time to wait.

Thanks,

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Re: Remote control or wired "cable release" for the Sony A7R
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 02:52:39 pm »

Hopefully CamRanger is working on a Sony version of their system.

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 04:11:22 pm »

Have you any secret information that such is in the pipeline? I found nothing on their site.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 07:55:36 am »

The Camranger solution would be great, and if they come out with a solution that would be great.  The proprietary port Sony uses, however may slow them down.  Sony's microUSB port is different than the "standard" that most other companies use. 

I am not that family  with the layout of the A7 family but on the Nex 7 the IR sensor  was on the front of the camera, which  limited the use of the remote, and it was very point to point.  If the A7 has a IR sensor on the back of the camera the IR release may be more useful.  However there is still no intervalometer soluiton for the A7 family I am aware of.  Camranger should fix that.  The Sony timelaspe app only works with the fixed shutter speeds and will not work with bulb. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 06:33:38 pm »

Sony's microUSB port is different than the "standard" that most other companies use. 

That is just a cable issue and is easily solved I suspect  it is the making the software compatible that is the issue and since CamRanger is a pretty small company I i suspect they want to see what the demand or market might be before they spend R&D time and money on the issue.

I wish I had inside knowledge but I don't.

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 09:14:52 am »

I am not that family  with the layout of the A7 family but on the Nex 7 the IR sensor  was on the front of the camera, which  limited the use of the remote, and it was very point to point. 
Paul
What's up with Sony on this issue?  The same (IR on the front) pertains to the A65-77 models also.  Does Sony think we only shoot selfies? I do a lot of macro work with my A65, working with a lightbox which almost completely encloses the front of my camera, rendering the IR port completely inaccessible.  I am forced to either use a wired remote, which I don't really like (the wire has a way of knocking over things), or to try to hide a mirror inside the box the reflect the IR beam back to the camera. This doesn't work for my primary setup, which has a slitted flap covering the front of the lightbox, diffusing the on-camera flash which triggers the other flash(es).  As Michael has oft pointed out, Sony doesn't seem to have any photographers on its design staff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up