Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A7s and the medium format look - Am I the only one who cares?  (Read 29712 times)

Vladimirovich

Re: Sony A7s and the medium format look - Am I the only one who cares?
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 09:19:38 pm »

There is something in the "look" of the D700 pictures which sets them apart from the others
you can simply  show us using raw files available from http://www.imaging-resource.com  ::) ... just you know take some cut from the white patch on the whibal card present in those shots (it is usually exposed very good, no readout noise affecting that part of the image), for both D700 and some other FF camera  and we are all attention to see that "look" in that crop (same parameters of raw conversion in ACR for example - all NR and sharpening sliders to zero)... it is a repeatable thing, isn't it... so it is easy to show, isn't it... that mythical "visible pattern of the sensor"  ;D

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2014, 09:22:52 am »

Are you saying you like pixelation on your images? All you have to do is downsample. I do not associate low resolution with "CCD like" rendering. Maybe you can restate what you are trying to say. It seems like a vague idea that falls apart when written down. We all have those. It helps us get to deeper understanding.

Yes, because it render very nice on print. Might be part of the magic.
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

andrew00

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2014, 08:19:30 am »

I'm very interested to see more about this.

I'm rarely happy with the colour from a lot of cameras, both for stills and video, so if the A7S has some mojo there that'd be great.

chez

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2014, 10:51:29 am »

I shoot B&W film in 6x9 and 4x5 and I have never reproduced B&W from digital like I get from my film. Tonal range and the beautiful slow transition to saturation just is not reproducible with digital.

Personally for me digital beats film, for me anyway. My Canon 20D and 5D, Panasonic G1 and GX7 and Sony A7 all produce images that surpass anything I got from film and I've never had anyone say "That image is way to digital." I never used MF though, just 35mm.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2014, 11:30:05 am »

Tonal range and the beautiful slow transition to saturation just is not reproducible with digital.

But of course it is possible to reproduce the same tonecurve, by adjusting the linear tonecurve to a film-like response. Depending on the required tonecurve, it may also be necessary to adjust the exposure of the Raw file.

One could even create a camera profile for that purpose by feeding a manipulated input file to the profile building application. Boost highlight contrast of the target, and the profile creation process will compensate for that with a shoulder roll-off to neutralize.

One could even go as far as introducing graininess and color sensitivity of Black and White film in addition to the tonecurve, to match the original film characteristics.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2014, 10:36:04 am »

I'm late to the party, but based on my experience (over 30 years with Nikon & Olympus 35mm, Pentax 67, extensive 4x5, Olympus E-1 to E-30, now Nikon D800E) skip the Sony an go straight to a D800. It won't disappoint! It's like having 4x5 IQ in a system I can canoe and backpack around. I am not using the expensive wonder-lenses (e.g. 24/1.4), only D lenses and the IQ is still there.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 06:12:23 pm »

I shoot B&W film in 6x9 and 4x5 and I have never reproduced B&W from digital like I get from my film. Tonal range and the beautiful slow transition to saturation just is not reproducible with digital.

Yeah, sure.

$200 old Rebel, $100 50mm AF lens, my yellow box 400 ISO profile.

Second one is 1Ds3 (ok, we're in a different price range here)

E.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:15:10 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

chez

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 07:41:40 am »

I'm talking about printed images, not some limited jpegs on a screen.

Yeah, sure.

$200 old Rebel, $100 50mm AF lens, my yellow box 400 ISO profile.

Second one is 1Ds3 (ok, we're in a different price range here)

E.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 10:37:22 am »

I'm talking about printed images

printed how ?

chez

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2014, 10:44:39 am »

I print both with my large format printer at home as well as have some printed using darkroom techniques from a lab in Toronto. These prints ( both my own and lab ) are better from film images than from images I get with my 5D2 and A7R...for B&W.

printed how ?

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2014, 01:59:02 pm »

I print both with my large format printer at home as well as have some printed using darkroom techniques from a lab in Toronto. These prints ( both my own and lab ) are better from film images than from images I get with my 5D2 and A7R...for B&W.
I recall a discussion on here a few years back on this very subject. I added a few B+Ws of my own for feedback and the film guys said they showed showed exactly what they meant as the pics has a certain something that digital lacked.
The kicker - the pics were not only digital, but taken on my pocket camera.

Another thought, maybe you haven't mastered digital B+W to the standard you can do film B+W. I've seen amazing B+W from digital sources [and some ropey stuff].
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:03:04 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Vladimirovich

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2014, 03:19:37 pm »

I print both with my large format printer at home
and that's digital... 0s and 1s... it does not matter that the source was film... granted some B/W films in a large formats you mentioned is still quite competetive vs sensors in digital cameras in some aspects.

chez

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2014, 05:59:52 pm »

and that's digital... 0s and 1s... it does not matter that the source was film... granted some B/W films in a large formats you mentioned is still quite competetive vs sensors in digital cameras in some aspects.

Ummm, you conveniently left out the darkroom prints.

chez

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2014, 06:03:36 pm »

I recall a discussion on here a few years back on this very subject. I added a few B+Ws of my own for feedback and the film guys said they showed showed exactly what they meant as the pics has a certain something that digital lacked.
The kicker - the pics were not only digital, but taken on my pocket camera.

Another thought, maybe you haven't mastered digital B+W to the standard you can do film B+W. I've seen amazing B+W from digital sources [and some ropey stuff].

How were these prints presented? Were they scanned, a photo take or some other digital form converted to a JPEG. This whole digitization of a print is a big equalizer. I would think it would be a total crap shoot telling anything apart once JPEG'd onto the net.

jjj

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2014, 07:20:25 am »

How were these prints presented? Were they scanned, a photo take or some other digital form converted to a JPEG. This whole digitization of a print is a big equalizer. I would think it would be a total crap shoot telling anything apart once JPEG'd onto the net.
Try reading a post more carefully before replying. I was talking about a thread on LuLa, so there's hardly likely to be any physical prints involved is there?
Also note the fans of film photography were the ones claiming my digitally originated images had something that digitally supposedly lacked. The fact that they were presented as jpegs online is irrelevant.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2014, 10:38:38 am »

Ummm, you conveniently left out the darkroom prints.
intentionally - for as long as nothing is "digitized" at some point in the workflow I do agree that there might be some "magic" that you might see "in person only" (and not through some images posted)... it is like DxO FilmPack - I am not sure about the current situation but they used to keep a library of scanned actual films inside their software to use them to imitate a particular grain... so it is not like just the math - it is using the same "grain" that you see once you make anything digital in your workflow at any moment.

jjj

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2014, 11:37:18 am »

intentionally - for as long as nothing is "digitized" at some point in the workflow I do agree that there might be some "magic" that you might see "in person only"
The only 'magic' is that wielded by the person behind the camera. Muggles did crap work even when shooting on film. :D

melchiorpavone

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2014, 11:40:06 am »

But of course it is possible to reproduce the same tonecurve, by adjusting the linear tonecurve to a film-like response. Depending on the required tonecurve, it may also be necessary to adjust the exposure of the Raw file.

One could even create a camera profile for that purpose by feeding a manipulated input file to the profile building application. Boost highlight contrast of the target, and the profile creation process will compensate for that with a shoulder roll-off to neutralize.

One could even go as far as introducing graininess and color sensitivity of Black and White film in addition to the tonecurve, to match the original film characteristics.

Cheers,
Bart

Or, one can simply shoot film! (Taken with Leitz 350mm Telyt-R on Leicaflex SL2, on Fuji Pro 400 film). This is the kind of "nature" photography that I like.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 12:01:28 pm by melchiorpavone »

tremainc

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2015, 11:27:43 am »

Also late to the party.... I'm thinking that because of that age of this thread, most of it has been solved, but I own the D800 and the A7s.. (originally bought because I shoot video as well as stills).. the A7s has opened up more creativity to my shooting primarily for its small size and weight. Comparing it to a D800 defeats the purpose really of having a small full frame mirrorless camera. I like to shoot with my D800 when I need high res, and use the A7s for pretty much everything else.

Shooting events/concerts for clients at high ISO, and being able to send them 4 megapixel versions for their social media live straight from the WIFI in the camera is invaluable, and the images it produces are in fact amazing.

Borgefjell

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2015, 07:37:44 am »

I am using a D3 (same sensor as D700) and a Sony a7. At the beginning I had the same feeling, pictures taken with the D3 just had a different look, soft and crisp details at the same time and very nice colours. After using the Sony a7 more and more my lightroom-skills adopted a bit and today I would prefere the more modern sensors. In my opinion they have a more "clinic" look but this can easily been changed if one is using raw.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up