Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: "Photoshop CC (2014)"  (Read 25060 times)

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
"Photoshop CC (2014)"
« on: June 18, 2014, 03:24:30 pm »

Why does the 'new' Photoshop CC not overwrite the existing copy? I just downloaded it and it sets up as a separate "Photoshop CC (2014)." I had to copy over the Preferences from my existing Photoshop CC copy. I don't understand why we should have multiple copies on our desktop.

Oh, and now I see that the Plugins/Extensions have not been ported over. Bloody pain.  Or have I missed something?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: "Photoshop CC (2014)"
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 03:25:42 pm »

This really isn't new behavior. If you went from CS6 to CC, you'd have the same condition.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 03:26:37 pm »

This really isn't new behavior. If you went from CS6 to CC, you'd have the same condition.

I thought the behaviour would change now that we have the Cloud.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 03:29:41 pm »

I thought the behaviour would change now that we have the Cloud.
I don't think it should. It's a delivery system. Would you want CC (2014) over-riding CC which you have to think of as the previous version, just like CS6/CC? There should be an uninstaller for CC once you're sure you're done with it. You may want to run both for awhile. CC 2014 should update itself from the cloud, presumably until CC 2015.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 05:16:21 pm »

Of note, is that this new update breaks all or most existing extensions.  The new version only works with HTML5 extensions, so my custom panels that I've been fine tuning for years, GuideGuide, a guide utility that I use every day, the Coolorus color picker that I use extensively, and other existing third party panels/extensions are now toast until they are rewritten.

I know that sometimes painful choices need to be made for the sake of advancing options in the future, but Adobe seems to have made another PR blunder in burying the lede on this front.  Letting everybody know that this is an entirely different animal than the previous CC updates would have been a wise move.  I'm happy that I can revert to using my previous version of CC, but don't think that this was handled very smoothly.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 05:51:04 pm by Colorwave »
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Rand47

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 06:03:40 pm »

Why does the 'new' Photoshop CC not overwrite the existing copy? I just downloaded it and it sets up as a separate "Photoshop CC (2014)." I had to copy over the Preferences from my existing Photoshop CC copy. I don't understand why we should have multiple copies on our desktop.

Oh, and now I see that the Plugins/Extensions have not been ported over. Bloody pain.  Or have I missed something?

I only have one thing to say (well maybe two).  The first is GOOD GRIEF.  The second is, what?  I hope Jeff or Eric or someone will help us understand what's up with two versions of PS CC eating up valuable SSD space.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

chez

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 06:35:38 pm »

I only have one thing to say (well maybe two).  The first is GOOD GRIEF.  The second is, what?  I hope Jeff or Eric or someone will help us understand what's up with two versions of PS CC eating up valuable SSD space.

Rand

It's always been like that. When a new version of ps came out ad you upgraded, you got both versions on your drives. Nothings changed from that aspect.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 06:47:33 pm »

I only have one thing to say (well maybe two).  The first is GOOD GRIEF.  The second is, what?  I hope Jeff or Eric or someone will help us understand what's up with two versions of PS CC eating up valuable SSD space.

What's not to understand? Is CS6 deleted or over-written when you install CC? Or CS5? No. CC and CC (2014) are completely different versions, just as CS4 and CS5 were and the installers for CC (2014) is doing exactly what all the other installers did. If you install CC (2014) and want CC as well, you've got it. If you want to remove it, there's a very good uninstaller. Gone. Again. CC and CC (2014) are to be thought of as CS4 and CS5; completely different versions.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 06:50:23 pm »

It's always been like that. When a new version of ps came out ad you upgraded, you got both versions on your drives. Nothings changed from that aspect.

Now I am confused. Wasn't it one of the selling points of the CC concept that it updates itself more frequently and faster than stand-alone versions? In other words, if CC is always the latest and most up-to-date version, what is the point if having now two CC versions? Isn't it also the reason that the name (CC) did not have any version number attached to it (in contrast to CS6 for instance)?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 06:54:01 pm »

Wasn't it one of the selling points of the CC concept that it updates itself more frequently and faster than stand-alone versions?
It does and it will. CC 2014 will get updates and new features, presumably until Adobe wants to brand a new version which is what they just did, hence Photoshop CC 2014. We can't have Photoshop CC naming go on forever.

There is no point in having two versions of CC and CC 2014 any more than having CS5 and CS6. Some people do that. Some want to work with the older version for awhile or make sure they can do production on the newer version, moving cautiously. If you update CC 2014 and want more room and don't need CC, uninstall it.

Rand47

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 06:58:26 pm »

What's not to understand? Is CS6 deleted or over-written when you install CC? Or CS5? No. CC and CC (2014) are completely different versions, just as CS4 and CS5 were and the installers for CC (2014) is doing exactly what all the other installers did. If you install CC (2014) and want CC as well, you've got it. If you want to remove it, there's a very good uninstaller. Gone. Again. CC and CC (2014) are to be thought of as CS4 and CS5; completely different versions.

No, you're right of course.  But I had a vision of the cloud versions being seamless and "continuous" - if that makes sense - with incremental updates/upgrades as it went along.  At least that's what their advertising seemed to say.   Not a big deal.  I'll just nuke CC 6 off the drive.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 07:02:12 pm »

... Adobe wants to brand a new version which is what they just did, hence Photoshop CC 2014...

Ok, so if CC 2014 is a new version, what exactly is new or different from CC? There should be something rather substantial to justify a new version, i.e., X.0, rather than incremental improvements that are more suitable for 0.xx updates.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 07:06:23 pm »

Slobodan, I think you are trying to apply an unreasonable standard to Adobe's actions, by holding them to what they said they were going to do.  ;-)

IMO, this appears to be largely, or at least somewhat driven by Adobe's desire to kill off Flash within the API.  That's why the panels I mentioned, including those made with the now dead Adobe Configurator, no longer work.  I'm sure that they didn't want to send off any alarms by mentioning another strike against Flash, and they would prefer to deal with some grumbling than mention that in any of their more prominent public statements.  The last thing they want to do is to throw any red meat to the Flash haters.  Unfortunately, this will only lead to further Balkanization of the Photoshop platform, instead of the previously stated goal of having more people running the latest and greatest version.  As far as I can tell, none of the third party palette/panels works in the new version, and developers are madly scrambling to write new versions.  At least those that are still willing to stay on the treadmill.

Regarding the new improvements, there certainly are some.  None that would seem to justify an entirely different version, though, IMO, other than the reason I stated above.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 07:07:00 pm »

Ok, so if CC 2014 is a new version, what exactly is new or different from CC? There should be something rather substantial to justify a new version, i.e., X.0, rather than incremental improvements that are more suitable for 0.xx updates.
Check the feature list, there's new stuff BUT because this is a subscription, with new features coming all the time, you can't think of this as the old school "we get a new name so now we need a slew of new features". Let's hope in aggregate, you are happy over X number of months and years subscribing that you are getting newer features you can use. New naming in a subscription doesn't appear to mean the same thing as a new version when the license was perpetual. And this is all new territory.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 07:47:50 pm »

... because this is a subscription, with new features coming all the time, you can't think of this as the old school "we get a new name so now we need a slew of new features"....

So, because this is a subscription, the new school is "we get a new name so now we DON'T need a slew of new features??

Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 07:56:53 pm »

So, because this is a subscription, the new school is "we get a new name so now we DON'T need a slew of new features??
Number of new options over X number of (fill in time span) is different now. Simple as that. You don't get them all at once.

Rand47

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 08:03:06 pm »

Interesting . . . in looking at the "program size" on my Win 7 machine, CC 2014 is almost a gig smaller.   1.99 gigs for PS CC (2014), 2.85 gigs for PS CC.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 08:09:02 pm »

I'm wondering if I have a flaw in how the new code is released.   I have the PS+LR $10/month combo deal for CC.  I also have CS6 Studio of some extension type.   I was presented with the CC download application with all of my CS6 files PLUS a full suite of CC files that extends beyond the LR+PS subscription I purchased.

It successfully downloaded the After Effects 2014 file for CC with a check mark verification.  The rest of the 2014 versions downloaded, installed, but reported as failed.  On closer review it says they did DL/install and looking in my program file I see all of the apps available to me.  I clicked one and it wants me to verify my email....which I will....but I don't understand why these files were presented to me and why I was able to download them yet show a 'fail' within the adobe CC utility.

"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

chez

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 08:33:22 pm »

Now I am confused. Wasn't it one of the selling points of the CC concept that it updates itself more frequently and faster than stand-alone versions? In other words, if CC is always the latest and most up-to-date version, what is the point if having now two CC versions? Isn't it also the reason that the name (CC) did not have any version number attached to it (in contrast to CS6 for instance)?

Mine subscription did update throughout the year automatically. Personally, when a major new revision is released, I like the ability to have both active. Do you see this as bad...and if so, why?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 08:38:22 pm »

Our friend Jeff did explain to us in minute details when CC was announced and CSx discountinued that Adobe had some technical limitations preventing the continuation of the perpetual licensing model in parallel with the new subscription one (I won't use the word cloud as it has little to do with the commonly accepted definition of cloud).

He explained that this was related to the way the code was built, in particular that CC would be managed only through incremental builts that were not compatible with the maintenance of 2 streams of code.

Now, what do we see? That CC is being upgraded in 2 ways:
- The incremental builds with point additions every few months (I personnally don't really bother looking at those upgrades, just no time for that and not enough encounter with material explaining the new features, not enough discussion in forums... I wonder how many % of users actually invest time in learning these new point upgrade features),
- Major builds at a frequency that seems similar to that of former CSx->CS(x+1) releases frequency.

With the existence of these major builds (CC 2014), I don't understand anymore the initial technical rationale explaining why CS7 could not have been released with a perpetual license in parallel with the new subscription model.

Besides, the confirmed availability of the CC+LR package at 9,99 a month without any condition of previous Adobe products ownership is simply a slap in the face of people like myself who have invested in Adobe's products for many years under the assumption that this would help acquire future products at a favorable pricing. Yes, it remains cheaper than the previous perpetual license deal, but the recognition of my past support to their business is gone.

The message is clear, Adobe doesn't value the investement we make in their products. Or, put in the other way, since they have made us prisonner of an eternal subscription model, they don't need to incentive us any longer to stay on board. We are stuck. In case anybody would still have had doubts about the way they look at us, this should be clear now.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 08:40:23 pm by BernardLanguillier »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up