Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 390,000 Instagram followers give Mississippi mom a job  (Read 8304 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: 390,000 Instagram followers give Mississippi mom a job
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 01:51:49 pm »

There's a book called Can't Buy My Love which is probably a good starting point.

Starting to point to what? Obtaining a degree in statistics? I already have a postgrad course in it, should I get a PhD in order to appreciate your laconic statement ("everyone is wrong"). Every time someone throws a book at me in a forum discussion, I wonder what was the point. Shall I get an advanced degree in the subject just to be able to participate in forum discussions?

My point being, when someone throws in a blanket statement like that, it should be followed by a sentence or two of at least a basic explanation. That would be a minimum courtesy to other forum participants, without telling them: "Go first read a book to understand what I meant."

Justinr

• Ink+images
Re: Re: 390,000 Instagram followers give Mississippi mom a job
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 02:27:12 pm »

I don't even know if you've thought about exactly what you mean by effective :-)

I posted the following ten days ago -

First of all we have to measure effectiveness, how is that to be done? Cost efficiency, response rate, cost to sales ratio? There is a fellow on here who is certainly better qualified than I on these matters so I can say little more.

I was rather hoping that would count as thinking about it, but perhaps not.

amolitor

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 08:30:54 pm »

I was asked to produce studies.

The book is a starting point for digging up the relevant studies. It should provide ample information to locate as much or as little information on the studies I mentioned as you care to have.

I don't have the citations for the studies on hand. I do have a book title on have which can you to them, though.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 09:17:16 pm »

I was asked to produce studies....

Well... what I was asking is to produce studies in the sense of providing a sentence or two of so-called executive summary, ideally in your own words, unless there is a textbook explanation already. Then web links or book titles might make sense if someone wants to dive deeper. As I said, I consider myself pretty versed in statistics, but I must admit I never heard of the concept "statistically, almost everyone is wrong." By the way, is that a stand-alone statement, or directly related to the preceding sentence?

Is the meaning of that claim, for instance, that, while "everyone says that ads don't effect them," real numbers prove them wrong? In other words, if "everyone says that ads don't effect them," how come ads made Google uber-rich? Could it be that ads really do not effect anyone, yet companies paying Google are simply stupid, not realizing it? Or could it be that indeed ads have no influence on 62% of consumers, but the remaining 38% more than make it up? Or that 62% are simply lying (as you seem to imply)?

There is another phenomenon, related to political polling, that might be similar to what you had in mind. Namely, non-reliability of certain polls, in particular exit polls. I think the effect even has its own name, after an LA mayoral candidate who lost even if polls and exit polls predicted a sure win. The explanation behind the effect is the following: when polled, especially face-to-face, like in exit polls, people tend to answer more politically correct or socially acceptable, e.g., that they voted (or will vote) for a black candidate, while in reality they voted based on their long-establshed prejudices.

amolitor

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 09:32:47 pm »

My wording was sloppy, to be sure.

The executive summary of the state of the art in research along these lines (as I understand it) is that advertising works pretty well. In particular, a high percentage of people

• believe that advertising does not work very well on them
  • are severely underestimating the effect that advertising has on them personally

Justinr

• Ink+images
Re: Re: 390,000 Instagram followers give Mississippi mom a job
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 02:57:57 am »

Listing those questions doesn't provide enough for us to say yes that's "effective", no that isn't "effective".

Maybe not, but it suggests that I had certainly thought about them and may have come to my own conclusions but was aware that there are people on here far better qualified to comment on such criteria.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2014, 10:26:32 am »

That really doesn't help with your question -- "Do you know just how effective it is?" -- because we need to know -- "exactly what you mean by effective".

Which is precisely the question I asked earlier (First of all we have to measure effectiveness, how is that to be done? Cost efficiency, response rate, cost to sales ratio?) but as the proponent of web based marketing (as I understand your position) it is a question you have not addressed even when I suggested that FB has yet to be proven as a worthwhile means of advertising.

So, you first, how would you measure the 'effectiveness' of web based advertising?

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2014, 03:07:03 am »

Nope, neither proponent or opponent.

It is the question you needed to answer before you suggested that FB has blah blah.

So what's the problem then?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2014, 09:28:54 am »

Jesus! You two better get a room in Hairsplitting Hotel. ;D

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2014, 02:30:54 pm »

Jesus! You two better get a room in Hairsplitting Hotel. ;D