Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canvas Choices  (Read 1042 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Canvas Choices
« on: June 18, 2014, 07:47:28 am »

If you were going to make a canvas gallery wrap destined to hang in a hospital what canvas/protective overcoat would you choose and why?
Mike

Miles

Re: Canvas Choices
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 08:46:42 am »

The local hospital where I live in Maine, USA has always had an interest in photography and invited photographers to submit images from this area to be reviewed with the hospital paying to have the winning photographs printed, coated and mounted for display in high traffic areas with a plaque below each image recognizing the photographer.  They chose to use Breathing Color Lyve canvas, Timeless coating mounted on a 1.75" gallery wrap system similar to Hahnemuhle's or Breathing Colors easy wrap systems.  The results are quite impressive and I take time to look the images over anytime I visit (a few are mine).  The prints are in high traffic areas including the lobby and near elevator stops.  A reception was held for the chosen photographers with news media present.

If your question was intended to be in regards to sanitary requirements, I cannot speak as to the choice of materials.  Probably there are better materials such as metal prints if you are concerned about germs and the ability to clean the artwork. 

I was/am happy to support any endeavor to make a hospital visit nicer in some small way. 

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 09:08:31 am »

I would use, BC Timeless Glossy or satin on a matte canvas.  This is what I have placed in over 10 different hospitals in my region with no problems. 

Glossy canvas, still needs an overcoat especially in a hospital, where you never know what the conditions will be.  I find it much easier to coat matte than glossy canvas. 

Other coatings to consider, Glamour II, or Clear Star's lineup.   Also the new re-done Lexjet product set is very nice also. Plus they ship in a modern jug, not a paint can, so it's much easier to work with them.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 11:27:34 am »

the clear winning combo for me is lyve+timeless, I've got the process nailed, love the results and am always sad when I try something else to see if I'm missing something. I don't like glossy canvas,. Matte canvas+glossy timeless.

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 11:45:29 am »

Seems like everyone likes the BC combo. Seems to me that a heat activated overlam would be most durable?

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 07:47:01 pm »

Seems like everyone likes the BC combo. Seems to me that a heat activated overlam would be most durable?

The heat laminate is more durable by a long shot.
Several things to be mindful of.
You must have a hot roll machine. They are out there used just more expensive.
You have to be really careful when laminating canvas with a lot of black.
It is possible my black ink was not dry enough before laminating?
If you look close it almost looks like it is delaminating?
Seals print guard luster gives a beautiful luster finish.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 08:10:04 pm by Dan Berg »
Pages: [1]   Go Up