Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Eizo CG19 or new iMac 27"  (Read 1113 times)

Barossa.1

• www.jonathan-moore.com
Old Eizo CG19 or new iMac 27"
« on: June 18, 2014, 06:16:31 am »

Firstly I'll apologise if this is in the wrong forum section.

Heres the situation. I have an Eizo CG19 bought in around 2007. The internal colour calibration software is now out of date and won't work with the Mac OS system but thats not really a problem. My Mac Pro is also circa 2006 and works fine with the Eizo. It runs OS 10.7.5 Lion and can't be further upgraded as the computer internals won't support anything newer. At some time in the near future it all needs changing. I used to shoot high end architecture with a Leaf Aptus but have moved to the other side of the world for a quieter life and now shoot wine on a simple Nikon DSLR.
So, heres the question. How good is the iMac 27" screen compared to the aged Eizo? Will it be fine for simple studio work and just how bad is the reflection problem with the gloss Mac screens?
Thanks

Tim_Smith

Re: Old Eizo CG19 or new iMac 27"
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 08:05:08 am »

I can't offer any insight into the relative worthiness of the iMac screen but I can tell you that monitors (even Eizo) do not last forever. I recently replaced my previous Eizo with a new one after it had exceeded it's expected life hours and would no longer calibrate correctly. My own personal preference is to keep the monitor and CPU separate in order to allow for the flexibility to change either of them. For me, this is a business expense. I completely understand the attraction of the iMac and have seen it used to great effect.

Best,
Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up