Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ink Selector replacement on Epson 7900 - seeking advice  (Read 3074 times)

datro

Ink Selector replacement on Epson 7900 - seeking advice
« on: June 17, 2014, 10:55:43 pm »

Well, I was hoping I'd never have to deal with this, but my 5 1/2 year old 7900 has finally acquired a "clog" which I cannot clear using the normal recommended cleaning methods.  It's in the Green channel, and I'm missing a small block of about 3 lines (one of them partial) in the lower half of the nozzle check pattern.  This is the first time ever that I've not been able to easily clear missing nozzles.

I'd been printing fine with my Green 350ml cartridge at 1% before this showed up, but since in the past I've seen problems when cartridges get low I put in a new Green cartridge to be sure I wasn't having ink starvation or pressurization issues. I should also mention that the replaced Green cartridge was dated 2009 so it has been there for quite a while, though I routinely agitate the cartridges in my printer every 6 weeks, and I typically print at least once or twice a week.  So far the heaviest clean I've done is a CL4 in Service Mode on the O/G pair.  I've also printed a few solid Green blocks (using the nice QTR-based ink purge utility contributed here on LuLa a while back) to see if possibly there is air in the line which needs to get pushed out (which I've also seen happen when cartridges are replaced).  Still missing the same nozzles, though occasionally on one of the many nozzle test patterns I would see a few nozzles come back and others drop out in the same part of the pattern.  And a few nozzles appear to be very faint, as if some ink is getting out, but not the normal amount.  I don't see any evidence of a deflected nozzle which is printing in the wrong place.

I've done quite a bit of reading and research to determine my next step.  Since the service manuals clearly recommend replacing dampers every year, and since I have never replaced them, I'm leaning towards doing an Ink Selector replacement.  I understand that bad dampers typically cause full loss of a color, not just a few lines, but I've also seen comments here (and elsewhere) that bad dampers can result in other symptoms as well.  In any case, I've done service work on equipment similar to these printers and I feel quite comfortable doing the work myself.  I have the Service Manual and Field Guide, and I've also reviewed Eric's novel and videos for his great advice on head replacement and wiper replacement.  (By the way, I have been replacing my wiper at least once a year.)

So, now to my questions...hopefully someone here has done this and can give me some pointers:

1.  The Service Manual says that the ink lines must be purged of all ink before replacing the Ink Selector using special drain cartridges.  It's clear that the ink lines must be disconnected from the Ink Selector to replace it, but I'm wondering if it is really necessary to drain the lines.  This means wasting a ton of ink, not to mention the expense of purchasing the set of drain cartridges.  Does anyone have a different approach that would save the ink in the lines while the Selector is installed or would that be pure folly and prone to a total mess of ink?

2.  Any comments on pros/cons of replacing the Ink Selector in my scenario?  For sure it is possible my head is bad, but it seems to me that the combination of a) low cost for the Selector (vs. a new head), and b) the fact that I've never replaced something that is recommended for yearly replacement suggests that I should try the Selector first.  What do you experienced technicians think?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

dannybirchwood

Re: Ink Selector replacement on Epson 7900 - seeking advice
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 04:41:41 am »

Hi Datro

I think you will find that the ink drain when changing the damper unit is optional cuts out making a mess. Personally I have never bothered. Just release a cartridge before you start to un pressurise the system. Remove ink pipes wrap some tissue around them to stop ink going all over the place.

Chances are if this was/is the head you would want to change the damper with a new head so yes i would also try this first. Have you tried a SS clean ??

Where are you sourcing parts from ?
Dan Garland - Fine Art Printing

datro

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 11:08:31 am »

Thanks Dan for your reply.

For parts, I've been getting my wiper assmblies from Compass Micro, so my plan would be to go there for the Ink Selector as well.

Regarding doing a SS Clean:  I've so far not done this, mainly because I want to be careful not to damage my head if indeed that is not the problem.  I note that the Service Manual says "Use SS Clean only if no other cleaning steps work," however I also know that SS Clean (unlike all other cleaning methods) will attempt to fire the piezo electronics and in some circumstances could produce a damaged head.  Am I being too cautious?  Would a single SS Clean be worth doing before replacing the Ink Selector?

Thanks,
Dave

dannybirchwood

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 08:47:25 am »

Hi Dave

I cant really decide that for you. There have been reports of this damaging the head in some cases. I have performed one SS clean on my 9700 and it did clear the clog with no further head problems.

However its up to you if you wish to take the risk. It could be your head has gone bad anyway, its a tough call.

Keep me posted. Unfortunately Compass don't seem to ship here to the UK. No one supplies parts over here getting hold of them is a nightmare. Thanks for the info though

Keep me posted

Thanks
Dan Garland - Fine Art Printing

MarkJohnson

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 09:44:58 am »

Dave, I posted a similar problem earlier in the year, with pictures of the nozzle test pattern:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=87423.msg711648#msg711648
Now, the defective area in the middle of the green nozzle test pattern is occupying an even larger area. However, I am not yet noticing any problem with printed output. Apparently the green nozzle itself contributes little but does at times enhance gamut.
I am going to continue printing as normal and replace the head when there is a noticeable problem. Consensus amongst those I've consulted is that it seems to be a head problem.
I don't understand the workings of the 7900 as well as you do but I thought this comment might help.
Mark
Mark J

datro

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 12:06:08 pm »

Thanks Mark for your comments.

It's pretty clear you have/had deflected nozzles and probably something in the nozzles preventing proper flow of ink.  My nozzle pattern is quite different, only a single missing block of almost three consecutive lines in the lower half of the pattern.

I've considered trying to do a "head soak" (mentioned in your previous thread) but the challenge with the 7900 is the head and capping station is almost vertical, not horizontal, so I'm not clear on exactly how I would do a head soak short of removing the head and doing it outside the printer.  I guess I'll need to find that earlier post from Dan Berg to understand what method was being discussed there.

Thanks,
Dave

MarkJohnson

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 12:53:42 pm »

I tried the American Inkjet Systems method, with a few drops of CLF007P on the relevant pad on the capping station & re-parking the head overnight, as described on http://www.americaninkjetsystems2.com/support/unclogging_inkjet_print_heads.html. It made no difference unfortunately.

Not sure why my green nozzles would be deflected. I haven't heard or seen evidence of a head strike.

Meanwhile, almost all the green nozzles have now gone and I've just today started to get banding in the direction of head travel..

Mark
Mark J
Pages: [1]   Go Up