Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mounting to gator without a press - any way?  (Read 711 times)

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
mounting to gator without a press - any way?
« on: June 17, 2014, 06:05:48 pm »

Hi all,
   I've got a rush job that needs 10 20x30 images printed on moab exhibition lustre mounted to half inch gator. I have previously had zero luck with spray adhesives - they all peel loose, bubble or introduce other problems over time. I don't have a roller system or heat press. Is there any other good way to get the photos to stay mounted? has anyone had any luck with miracle much on a smoother non-absorbant paper like the lasal lustre? other bullet proof ideas?
thanks!
Mark

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
Re: mounting to gator without a press - any way?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 07:26:49 pm »

Take a look at this http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/product_specific.cfm?ClientID=15&ProductID=23870

I have been using Beva 371 Film for various applications including gator with oil primed linen for my paintings. it should work very well with photos and all you will need is an ordinary household iron.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 07:28:38 pm by petermfiore »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 10:54:45 am »

If you don't find a press, you can also consider the following:

Canson Baryta, which is not RC paper a the Lasal.  The RC is the issue you are having with a spray mount, as the RC will not really ever allow the spray mount to bind.  The Canson is Alpha Celluose and excellent paper.  As Gator has a rough surface, this would allow for a very good mount.  I would try the Elmers Acid Free or Standard 3M Super 77.  Since Gator is not acid free, anything but, the spray not being acid free should not matter much. 

As for M Muck, I don't think it will work on RC, just won't hold long term.  It needs a porous surface, like Canvas.  Also M Muck is very viscous and Lasal 300 W may have some issues laying down evenly on it.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 11:21:38 am »

thanks for the great info guys.

I'm actually thinking I have a compromise in printing on Optica 1 (a favorite paper anyway), spraying two coats of medium/heavy timeless and mounting with MM - the timeless gives the RC gloss feel (not exactly but the customer and I both like it) and the optic binds nicely in the MM.

on the list - buy a roller press, I keep needing one at regular intervals.
Pages: [1]   Go Up