Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ColorMunki/SpectraView  (Read 2720 times)

Steve Verrall

ColorMunki/SpectraView
« on: June 16, 2014, 10:49:48 pm »

Hi all,

My first post here. I have a NEC PA271W with the SpectraSensor Pro calibrator. Unfortunately after 18 months the SpectraSensor Pro died. It is out of warranty and after talking to NEC tech support (friendly and helpful) it seems there is nothing more I can do. It's dead. (That is not my question though, just some background)...

I also have recently bought an Epson 3880 and I want to be able to create my own printer/paper profiles, so I've now got a ColorMunki Photo (just arrived at the door 5 minutes ago). This will serve double duty to calibrate for screen and print.

From reading this forum, I understand that the ColorMunki can be used with the SpectraView software that is still installed on my Win7 PC (and may even provide a slightly superior level of calibration vs ColorMunki software). But since I now have the ability to create printer/paper profiles, should I use the ColorMunki software for both screen and printer paper calibration/profiles and forget about the/uninstall the SpectraView software?

Or can you/should I calibrate my NEC monitor with SpectraView/ColorMunki and, separately, create the printer/paper profiles using ColorMunki software and hardware together?

Hope that makes sense :)

Cheers,
Steve.

Mac Mahon

Re: ColorMunki/SpectraView
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 11:08:14 pm »

Steve

Use the Spectraview s/w for the PA27W for the best job.  Other experts here can give you the good oil on why that's the best option.

Use the CM Photo s/w for the printer.

FWIW I use i1Pro w Spectraview for my PA24W and i1Pro w i1Profiler for the 3880 with excellent profiles IMHO.

Tim

howardm

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 07:43:52 am »

until recently, I had a similar setup.  Use the SV softwrae w/ the CMPhoto device.  It'll work w/o issue (it's vaguely possible you'll need to attach a USB cable between the monitor and the computer (just keep that in mind)).  You can use the CM software to generate the printer profile or if you really want 'control', you can use Argyll to create/read print targets and through the use of a custom ruler/guide, create targets w/ much higher patch count.  There are quite a few threads on different forums regarding that.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 10:02:19 am »

But since I now have the ability to create printer/paper profiles, should I use the ColorMunki software for both screen and printer paper calibration/profiles and forget about the/uninstall the SpectraView software?
Always use SpectraView with that display! The ColorMunki software can't deal with the internal electronics of the NEC nor provide anything close to the calibration control and quality of SpectraView. Use the Munki software to build paper profiles.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 11:24:23 am »

Hello,

I want to hook into this thread with a similiar question :

Is it possible to use the color Munki software next to Spectra View, so that a notebook-screen can be calibrated with the color Munki software and the NEC PA272W with the Spectra View ?

Many thanks and best wishes

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 11:39:09 am »

Is it possible to use the color Munki software next to Spectra View, so that a notebook-screen can be calibrated with the color Munki software and the NEC PA272W with the Spectra View ?
You can use the Munki software on the laptop. You can't use SpectraView on it. Getting the two to match? Probably not going to be easy if possible.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 12:34:44 pm »

Yes (or at least, "Maybe").  Not concurrently, but consecutively.

I have done this for years on Mac Laptops with different NEC monitors.  On the Mac, you must disable the Munki software in order to run SpectraView (I or II, under 10.7 or 10.8 ), but your profiles — one made by the Munki software for the laptop screen and one made by SpectraView for the NEC monitor, and both made using the Munki spectrophotometer — are saved and are used concurrently.

Fwiw, for a long time I got quite usable color-matching between any single NEC and a laptop with a Retina display.  (It's all gone haywire, but that's another — long and continuing — story.)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 12:36:48 pm by KirbyKrieger »

Steve Verrall

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 07:10:19 am »

Thank you all the advice.

I've calibrated the screen now with the SV software and will use the Munki software for the printer.

Cheers,
Steve.
Pages: [1]   Go Up