Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with lighting gear for air travel  (Read 3453 times)

jojo204

Help with lighting gear for air travel
« on: June 14, 2014, 05:34:32 pm »

Hey guys so ive made the switch to MFD (credo 40) and I need some help with find some appropriate gear for air travel.  I shoot mainly fitness and glamour and 90% of my work requires me to travel by plane.  I am finding my self needing more power now to shoot at a min f8.  I had the perfect setup with 2 Elinchrom quadras with 4 heads and a ring flash, accessories and 2 extra batteries.  The problem is that the recycle times at more power (250-300 watts) takes too long to get into a groove. 1.5-2 seconds.  I want something more around a second to recycle.  Soooo I went out and got a Ranger RX speed AS thinking this will solve all my problems.  Just get 1 more and 2 heads for a total of 4 heads.  Not a chance!  Way TOO HEAVY.  the one kit alone is 56lbs with out the extra head.  Air travel allowance is 50lbs for most or less.  Anything over is an extra $50 charge to a max of 100lbs.  I dont want to be paying an extra $200 on bag fees and over-wights each time travel each way.   

Im not opposed to getting a power pack such as the profoto D4 but its way to expensive right now figuring i have to get 4 heads and new speedrings for all my elinchrom modifiyers.  Another option i was thinking was just getting 4 self contained heads and then a couple of those new LiPi power packs that paul c buff is offering.  I would power the D4 the same way. 

So if you guys have some suggestions that would be great.  these are the things I require-

-1 sec recycle time to hit f8(min)
-lighter than 50lbs
-4 heads
-powered or external power

thanks

this is was my travel kit.  I loved that i got everything in it.

heinrichvoelkel

Re: Help with lighting gear for air travel
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 07:24:23 pm »

If I would live in the states, I would ship all my equipment ahead via Fedex ground or UPS. Even the the kids to school and the wife to the mall.
Seriously, get a Tenba Air Case, ship your your stuff, travel light, take amazing pictures.

george2787

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 05:29:53 am »

A mix of profoto b1 and d1 should do.

stevesanacore

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 12:38:55 am »

I have three cases with Profoto moonlights that I fly with. Four Compact 600's with cables and reflectors in a Lightware 4 head case - under 50lbs. I started buying the Profoto D1 500 Air's to replace the Compacts. They are lighter and recycle faster. They also now have battery powered versions called the B1. I've traveled with almost every brand of professional strobes and Profoto are the only ones that hold up for me.
We don't know what we don't know.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 10:29:56 am »

The Profoto B1 AIR lights are terrific and because the battery is integrated into head (but there is no AC option) far easier to travel with.

I'm not a big fan of the D1 series however.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 05:22:15 pm »

I assume these rules apply everywhere, so have you checked out the carrying of Lithium batteries lately. It's almost not possible.

At least with medium format you can shoot a bigger aperture and use less power, which will give a faster recycling.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 05:34:54 pm »

I can't claim wide familiarity with all the strobe equipment out there, but my understanding is that Profoto and the Paul Buff Einstein monolights provide the fastest recycling times with fairly high power. Assuming this is correct and you have ruled out Profoto for now because of cost, then it would seem as though the Einsteins are your only option. Not as durable as the Profotos of course, but at least the company has a reputation for good service, respectable quality control and the equipment is reasonably light weight. Could combine with their portable lithium batteries. Not as compact as the Ranger Quadra system, but what are you going to do if you must have faster recycling? The Einstein strobes weigh 4.5 lbs apiece and their Mini Vagabond Extreme battery weighs 6 lbs. Recycling time with the Einstein and Mini Vagabond Extreme is about 1 second at 320 ws and about 2 seconds at 640 ws. Would certainly like to know who else provides those specs at significantly less money than Profoto.

MrSmith

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 06:33:29 pm »

I assume these rules apply everywhere, so have you checked out the carrying of Lithium batteries lately. It's almost not possible.

At least with medium format you can shoot a bigger aperture and use less power, which will give a faster recycling.

Flying with li-on batteries is not a problem if you do your homework. For elinchrom rangers you remove the fuses, and tape over the contacts, download the airworthy certificate from the battery testing place in Poland, download the guidelines from your airline and work out the allowance from the amp hour rating and include the instruction manual with a post it note at the right page with flying info. This is all folded neatly and secured with a rubber band round the battery in your hand luggage. Never had an issue by doing things properly and being able to show customs/security the right paperwork.

Pages: [1]   Go Up