Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How is that Creative Cloud Working out for you? CEO top 10 pay raise.  (Read 5241 times)

Pogo33

Just want to follow up with Adobe CC users and see how that wonderful change has worked out for you? Noticed any significant change? I have not. But Adobe wants you to think so and they have to gin up some excitement that they would normally receive from a product release.

Well rest assured that the man who brought you all of this, alienated at least a third of their user base and caused Adobe's revenues to fall (while surviving a temporary increase in their stock price) has received a 31% increase in pay. Yes, our beloved Shantanu Narayen, CEO of Adobe received a $3.7 million increase, from $12 to $15.7 to reach the top 10 in CEO pay increases as reported on The Big Picture blog. I wonder if any of this wealth trickles down at Adobe? So send him our love......

chez

Doesn't sound like you really want to discuss how CC is working out for people. Looks to me like all you want to do is piss on Adobe. No thanks.

Glenn NK

Doesn't sound like you really want to discuss how CC is working out for people. Looks to me like all you want to do is piss on Adobe. No thanks.

+ 1.

But I wonder how one knows that Adobe has in fact "alienated at least a third of their user base" ?
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

donbga

You are just trolling dude. Move on.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/

You are just trolling dude. Move on.
If you examine the 35 post's of Earl's since 2008, there is solid evidence to suggest you are correct.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Farmer

It's worked out great for me, thanks for asking!
Phil Brown

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk

Just want to follow up with Adobe CC users and see how that wonderful change has worked out for you? Noticed any significant change? I have not. But Adobe wants you to think so and they have to gin up some excitement that they would normally receive from a product release.

Well rest assured that the man who brought you all of this, alienated at least a third of their user base and caused Adobe's revenues to fall (while surviving a temporary increase in their stock price) has received a 31% increase in pay. Yes, our beloved Shantanu Narayen, CEO of Adobe received a $3.7 million increase, from $12 to $15.7 to reach the top 10 in CEO pay increases as reported on The Big Picture blog. I wonder if any of this wealth trickles down at Adobe? So send him our love......

I just turn on the computer - do my work as usual.  All working fine for me - I pay some money to Adobe and they provide excellent software.  I suppose the CEO's pay does seem quite high but what am I meant to do about that?

StephaneB

• http://www.lumieredargent.com

Just want to follow up with Adobe CC users and see how that wonderful change has worked out for you?

It's great! Thanks for asking...

Stéphane  [url=http://www.lumieredargen

MarkM

• Alaska Photographer Mark Meyer

A question that will become increasingly important as more time passes is: how is not using that Creative Cloud working out for you? It's pretty easy to stick with CS6 at the moment, but sooner or later you will be using antiquated software that puts you at a competitive disadvantage. Since you are using CC, I presume you don't have a viable alternative to suggest, right?

Phil Indeblanc

A question that will become increasingly important as more time passes is: how is not using that Creative Cloud working out for you? It's pretty easy to stick with CS6 at the moment, but sooner or later you will be using antiquated software that puts you at a competitive disadvantage. Since you are using CC, I presume you don't have a viable alternative to suggest, right?

The answer *can be simple, yet challenges your convenience...
I don't agree that such software is reason enough for being disadvantaged. The disadvantage you'll have with competition, is weak and low quality work.
One alternative available now is CorelDraw Suite X7, and I think Painter is a nice addition also. I have not used them in a long time, yet I own them and upgrade when I see it making sense. Till now I have Cs5 and it is working just fine so far.
There are other applications growing. There will be alternates. I hope this rental business model will collapse like a bad dream one day, as being the only option given. Hopefully we will see alternate software devs move closer together and vamp out such strongholds companies have, and limit the dominance from keeping users at their mercy.  I have no close ties or affiliation to Adobe, or anyone, and I can comfortably have this personal view point. Certainly I can see the OPTION of such business models allow those that cannot otherwise afford the entry price benefit from it. But even then, there have been alternative options (students, educators, etc). And surely the CC model is advantageous for some users needs. Of course it doesn't apply to all users.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 08:19:35 pm by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

ButchM

It's pretty easy to stick with CS6 at the moment, but sooner or later you will be using antiquated software that puts you at a competitive disadvantage.

If anyone believes that the version moniker or brand name of their software of choice can place them at a "competitive disadvantage" once it reaches some self-imposed expiration date .... where is your "advantage" if EVERYONE is using the same identical software?

Which is more important? The software or the photographer?

Need one only employ Adobe CC to be successful?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney

It's not that simple. Without the proper tools, the photographer can't photograph.
What happens to the person who buys a new camera system or product, has to use a newer OS but is determined to stick with CS6 but the new hardware or OS can't run it? That could put a photographer in a position that is a "competitive disadvantage".

chez

If anyone believes that the version moniker or brand name of their software of choice can place them at a "competitive disadvantage" once it reaches some self-imposed expiration date .... where is your "advantage" if EVERYONE is using the same identical software?

Need one only employ Adobe CC to be successful?

Don't know...seems like many people employed PS to be successful. Nothing has changed in this regards to being successful.

chez

It's not that simple. Without the proper tools, the photographer can't photograph.
What happens to the person who buys a new camera system or product, has to use a newer OS but is determined to stick with CS6 but the new hardware or OS can't run it? That could put a photographer in a position that is a "competitive disadvantage".

Seems like people upgraded from CS2 --> CS3 --> CS4 ... just to be more productive. This same productivity improvements continue with CC. Exact same reason people are not using CS2 today...a few years from now people stuck on CS6 will be less productive ... Thus at a disadvantage.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com

Seems like people upgraded from CS2 --> CS3 --> CS4 ... just to be more productive. This same productivity improvements continue with CC. Exact same reason people are not using CS2 today...a few years from now people stuck on CS6 will be less productive ... Thus at a disadvantage.

But not a creative disadvantage.

Sure studio photographers needing to adjust 1,000 images at a time for instance, may be at a productive disadvantage, but landscape photographers and those that create individual fine art images and work, may actually be at an advantage by not continually upgrading, as they already know their system so well, they don't have to waste creative time thinking about or learning new tricks, that are more often than not irrelevant to landscape and fine art photographers anyway.

I am against renting software from any supplier as you may have gathered by now, but I know that if Adobe came up with some killer function that I just couldn't live without or recreate with a few clicks of my mouse, then I would probably have good think about signing up, even though it would completely put my teeth on edge to do so. But as of today, they have not done so for the type of creative work I do. So the only other argument for renting and constantly upgrading is Raw support for new cameras should you or I wish to buy one, which lets be honest, to save £120 per year and all the hassle, I am sure I could find a satisfactory work around to get my new camera's Raw files seamlessly integrated into my old workflow.

Dave
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 04:56:06 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

john beardsworth

• My photography site

I am against renting software from any supplier as you may have gathered by now, but I know that if Adobe came up with some killer function that I just couldn't live without or recreate with a few clicks of my mouse, then I would probably have good think about signing up, even though it would completely put my teeth on edge to do so.

I think the trouble is that many people who share your views will no longer test drive the latest version sufficiently to appreciate if a hyped new feature is actually something that would be a killer in your hands.

John

ButchM

Don't know...seems like many people employed PS to be successful. Nothing has changed in this regards to being successful.

Once again, you gloss over the whole point. I didn't ask if those who do use Photoshop have achieved success. I queried the group if they actually believe success can only be achieved via a specific brand and version of software. If said software is not employed it is impossible to succeed?

If that is indeed the case ... shouldn't ALL Adobe users be equally successful? By your logic, all that is required is a specific brand name and version number in order to be successful.

Seriously, if you honestly believe that, shouldn't you be dissuading everyone from using the tools you count on to offer you an even more distinct competitive advantage?

chez

Once again, you gloss over the whole point. I didn't ask if those who do use Photoshop have achieved success. I queried the group if they actually believe success can only be achieved via a specific brand and version of software. If said software is not employed it is impossible to succeed?

If that is indeed the case ... shouldn't ALL Adobe users be equally successful? By your logic, all that is required is a specific brand name and version number in order to be successful.

Seriously, if you honestly believe that, shouldn't you be dissuading everyone from using the tools you count on to offer you an even more distinct competitive advantage?

I think you know the answer to the question you asked. Many are happy and successful just using LR or elements. However, people that use CS6 do so for a reason...not a stays symbol I would hope. Ask these people why the use PS and not some other product that is out there. There have been many products over the years that were here today gone tomorrow...why haven't these PS users jumped onto those products?

You can be successful with just about any product, the question needs to be asked is can you be as successful with another product as you can be with PS. Do you want to spend years understanding the minute details of another product like you have PS? I think many will answer...bring on CC as that is the horse that got me here and I'm going to continue riding it.

Robert Ardill

• Images of Ireland

Well, I've upgraded to CC after being incredibly p...ed off with Adobe. I don't particularly mind paying the monthly charge for Lightroom and Photoshop (after all, it's not so much more than upgrading every couple of years, and it spreads the cash-flow).  But what really concerns me (and I don't know what to do about it) is that as time moves on it's rapidly becoming impossible to step back.  What do I do when Lightroom becomes Lightroom CC and I can't step back because stepping back might mean having to rework all my raw images?

I do think it's very worrying that we are going down this road without having the option of freezing at a particular point (perhaps when we can't afford to continue paying the CC subscription).

So for me it isn't the present ... it's the future that concerns me.

Robert
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney

I queried the group if they actually believe success can only be achieved via a specific brand and version of software.
Only? I doubt it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up