Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 6 to be CC (subscription) only?  (Read 11391 times)

dreed

Lightroom 6 to be CC (subscription) only?
« on: June 13, 2014, 04:51:23 am »

From elsewhere on the web I found this:

"With the surprising lack of the Lightroom 5.5 release candidate that we were all expecting to be released with the Camera Raw 8.5 from a few days ago, we have a strong suspicion that Lightroom 6 will be released at Adobe’s Creative Cloud relaunch/refresh launch event on June 16th (no LR beta expected this time as we have typically seen in previous releases!). Lightroom has become an important part of CC and the popular Photoshop+Lightroom subscription plan. However, based on what we’ve heard from several sources close to Adobe, we have a strong feeling, to our disappointment, that Lightroom 6 will be subscription-only. So if this is true, no upgrade will be available to version 6 unless you decide to pay a monthly fee for it. Adobe’s betting big on subscriptions and investors seem to like it (as seen in the stock price the two years). The new Lightroom for iPad app is also for CC subscribers only so this is probably just a prelude of what’s to come. Lightoom’s competition has dwindled as it appears that their largest competitor to Lightroom, Aperture, won’t be releasing any new versions anytime soon."

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Lightroom 6 to be CC (subscription) only?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 05:45:42 am »

There's a lot of rubbish on the web.

I found this too:

"Sure, we can all guess there may be a move to make LR subscription-based too. So why didn't Adobe do it already, eh, when everything else went over? If not then, why now? The thing is, Adobe has a wide range of products and has different business models - what's more, LR has always been deliberately treated as a product separate from the Creative Suite. Going forward, you could see LR as a gateway product to PS and the wider suite and the CC services, so you might not want to limit it to those willing to subscribe. What's more likely is further integration with subscription-based services (such as 5.4's mobile sync) and other CC services such as Typekit, preference synchronisation, etc reaching the point where substantially all users want to subscribe."

« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 05:48:02 am by john beardsworth »

stamper

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 08:15:40 am »

Looks like another Adobe bashing thread? ;)

eliedinur

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 08:27:27 am »

LR 5.4 appeared first as ACR 8.4 RC without an LR 5.4 RC, but eventually the LR 5.4 version came along, so the first premise of that quote, "With the surprising lack of the Lightroom 5.5 release candidate that we were all expecting to be released with the Camera Raw 8.5 from a few days ago," is already invalid and there is no reason not to suppose that the rest of it bears a strong resemblance to what bulls leave in fields.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

dreed

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 09:01:31 am »

LR 5.4 appeared first as ACR 8.4 RC without an LR 5.4 RC, but eventually the LR 5.4 version came along, so the first premise of that quote, "With the surprising lack of the Lightroom 5.5 release candidate that we were all expecting to be released with the Camera Raw 8.5 from a few days ago," is already invalid and there is no reason not to suppose that the rest of it bears a strong resemblance to what bulls leave in fields.

Well, by the end of Friday we'll know.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 10:22:29 am »

My memory may be faulty - but I can't remember there ever being RC versions of decimal point updates in Lightroom.

There was a RC of LR4 and then of LR5 but I don't recall them for 5.1, 5.2, 5.3 etc.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 10:25:13 am »

Don't read anything into the appearance or otherwise of RCs.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 10:47:57 am »

To get the real answer you need to find a Certified Professional Seer who will read the entrails of a three-headed chicken that has been fed only Eye of Newt since birth.   ???
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

jferrari

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 10:51:14 am »

- entrails of a three-headed chicken that has been fed only Eye of Newt since birth.

That's what I had for breakfast!!!!! :o
Nothing changes until something changes.

Glenn NK

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 01:01:29 am »

Looks like another Adobe bashing thread? ;)

Or maybe there is much time to kill and nothing else to kill it with?
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

dreed

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 02:35:31 am »

To get the real answer you need to find a Certified Professional Seer who will read the entrails of a three-headed chicken that has been fed only Eye of Newt since birth.   ???

This forum has contributors to it that would know... and I doubt that they've used entrails of three-headed chickens. Or newts.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 03:16:49 am »

This forum has contributors to it that would know...

Oh, some of us know (for a fact) that the post about LR6 coming on June whatever and being subscription only is complete horseshit...so, what do you want to know? That's it's silly and stupid to rely on rumors and speculation? OK, that's silly & stupid...

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 04:35:45 am »

That's what I had for breakfast!!!!! :o

That's a surprising admission, in context. Are you volunteering your entrails for reading? It could be uncomfortable, of course.

Jeremy

jferrari

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 07:13:59 am »

Are you volunteering your entrails for reading?

Nah. Jeff already solved this one... No entrails needed.
Nothing changes until something changes.

allegretto

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 10:45:47 am »

Oh, some of us know (for a fact) that the post about LR6 coming on June whatever and being subscription only is complete horseshit...so, what do you want to know? That's it's silly and stupid to rely on rumors and speculation? OK, that's silly & stupid...

thanks for the breath of honesty Jeff. Not going Cloud is important to some of us. I do hope Adobe never adopts this as their exclusive business model

AFairley

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2014, 11:11:22 am »

As an ex lawyer, I am compelled to point out that Jeff's statement can be read to mean only that there will be no subscription only LR 6 announced in June, leaving open the possibility that it will be announced in July or August.  ;)  But my personal opinion is that Jeff is too plain spoken to stoop to that kind of weasel-speak.   :)

Glenn NK

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2014, 12:08:01 pm »

From elsewhere on the web I found this:

Sadly/unfortunately one can find anything on the web, including complete horse stuff.
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2014, 12:31:42 pm »

It's been said so many times but apparently needs repeating: Those that know will not say. Those that don't know will say anything (and it's usually wrong).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2014, 06:12:30 pm »

As an ex lawyer, I am compelled to point out that Jeff's statement can be read to mean only that there will be no subscription only LR 6 announced in June, leaving open the possibility that it will be announced in July or August.  ;)

Let me more succinct...nothing about that article as it relates to LR6 is correct...and Tom Hogarty still says that Adobe has no plans of making LR a CC only product and will continue LR as a perpetual license release. There will be slight differences in LR perpetual vs LR CC–but at this point it really only means LrM for CC. All other features and functions (and processing) remains the same.

Is that clear enough?

AFairley

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2014, 06:37:43 pm »

Let me more succinct...nothing about that article as it relates to LR6 is correct...and Tom Hogarty still says that Adobe has no plans of making LR a CC only product and will continue LR as a perpetual license release. There will be slight differences in LR perpetual vs LR CC–but at this point it really only means LrM for CC. All other features and functions (and processing) remains the same.

Is that clear enough?

Jeff, I think you missed my smiley faces, didn't mean to get your dander up...  Peace.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up