Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3200 and Moab Slickrock Metallic Silver  (Read 1318 times)

Jim Sanderson

Z3200 and Moab Slickrock Metallic Silver
« on: June 12, 2014, 09:55:54 pm »

The Z doesn't seem to want to calibrate this paper.  Anyone know of a paper type that I can use as a preset that will?

Has anyone ever calibrated this paper with a Z3200?

Jim
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 10:50:12 pm by Jim Sanderson »

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
Re: Z3200 and Moab Slickrock Metallic Silver
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 12:27:20 pm »

moab suggests premium photo glossy.

Jim Sanderson

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 09:42:15 pm »

Unfortunately, the current Z3200ps firmware doesn't have such a selection.  I have talked to a rep from Moab and he suggested one of the options I do have.  It didn't work.  Nor did a couple of others.  It appears that the paper will not calibrate in the Z3200s.  Thanks though.

If anyone knows, please let me know.

Jim

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 03:58:04 am »

Jim,

Way more spectrometers than the one used in the Z3200 will have problems measuring on metallic surfaces that act like mirrors. For the Slickrock Silver it is also the low light reflectance that will make it hard to create a profile at all. I added the spectral plots of two metallic surfaces, the Sihl that is the brightest in my sample collection of metallic RC papers and the Slickrock Silver. The low light reflectance of the SS as shown in the spectral plot is not just the result of the spectrometer illumination system 45/0 degr. in my opinion. If I take the two paper samples both in direct or diffuse light and try to get a high reflection at any angle from the SS sample it just is the dark one of the two but at a very narrow angle were it is the brightest. I would not select that paper if I had to use a metallic surface, never done though.

Is there no HP Premium ID Gloss media preset anymore or the Everyday equivalent in the media presets of the last Z3200PS model?

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
April 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 04:01:27 am by Ernst Dinkla »

Jim Sanderson

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 10:15:38 am »

I was hoping you might have some insight Ernst, thanks for the information.  I does appear that I won't be able to use this particular paper with my printer.

Yes, they do have the HP premium instant-dry for gloss and satin.  Perhaps that is what MStevensphoto was referring to.  I did give that a try in addition to the one recommended by  the Moab Rep. 

Best,

JIm

Some Guy

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 10:33:13 am »

Just a thought.  Inkpress makes a satin (luster-type) surface for their metallic as well as a glossy.  Maybe you can use it and get a reading to apply to the Slickrock if it is too glossy for the spectro in the HP to handle?  I think Inkpress also has some downloadable ICC profiles for their papers on their website.  I did manage to get an i1 PhotoPro 2 to give me some readings off the Inkpress that are workable.  They show a couple of HP printers on their site for the metallic here: http://www.inkpresspaper.com/profiles.asp?PaperID=49

At one time I called x-rite on metallic issues.  They do sell a special spectrometer that works with metallics, but it was around $21,000 too.  Something about a multi-angle reading head in it.  MA98 I think it was, and also used for special metallic paints in automotive.

SG
Pages: [1]   Go Up