Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop Quick mask virtually non-functional  (Read 1545 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Photoshop Quick mask virtually non-functional
« on: June 12, 2014, 04:18:06 pm »

I'm running Photoshop CC (x64) under Windows 8.1. I use a home built computer with an AMD FX9350 chip, 32Gb RAM and an nVidia GTX 660 graphics card.

I find that Photoshop can no longer render the Quick Mask on an image. I wait forever. It renders blocks of red, but never completes the redraw. If I look at the image to fit view, it renders it quickly. However, if I zoom in to do localized work and clean up mask edges, it just never renders the whole mask. (see images)

Anyone else have this issue?

Nemo

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
Re: Photoshop Quick mask virtually non-functional
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 08:10:00 pm »

Just tried it on my Win 8.1 Intel based computer and I get the same behavior. Quick mask renders immediately when view is 50% or smaller and fails to render at 66.6% or greater.
Computer specs Intel Cor i7-3770 16GM RAM Win 8.1 Pro with media center 64 bit
Nvidia GeForce GT 620

nemophoto

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 10:18:31 pm »

Thanks for checking that out Les. Hmm. Some sort of nVidia bug related to Win 8.1? Glad I'm not the only one experiencing that issue. Out of curiosity, do 16-bit TIFFs, or 8-bit LZW TIFFs or layered TIFFs render properly for you in Windows file Explorer? Anything but 8-bit uncompressed TIFFs show up as either weird posterized thumbnails or just a TIF icon on my system as well.

sniper

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 03:50:43 am »

Just tried this on the home pc (I'm away from the studio and most of my computers) and no problems with CS5, and thats on a fairly low spec pc on 32 bit.

nemophoto

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 09:02:42 am »

I didn't have this issue with Win 7 nor with CS6, and definitely not CS5. Nor did I have the thumbnail issues with Win 7.

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 12:38:37 pm »

Don't have the issue with CS6.
Windows explorer shows all tiff files correctly if I select any of icon size view options. If I select list or details as the view option, I get the tiff icon (as expected).
Seems that the problem, at least for me, is related to  Photoshop CC because I don't have the problem with Windows 8.1 and CS6.
Les
Pages: [1]   Go Up