Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D-Day Images  (Read 2448 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
D-Day Images
« on: June 11, 2014, 03:37:14 pm »

If your mind is attuned t

francois

Re: D-Day Images
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 06:53:46 am »

Different galleries but both very interesting. I like the idea of blending tourists with original images.
Francois

degrub

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 10:56:42 am »

Sobering.

Frank

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 11:19:36 am »

I'm all for remembering those who have fought for their country and paid the ultimate price but at some point we have to move on and to be honest I think that time has come. What does it say about a country that has to look back 75 years for its last moment of triumph?

Oh well, that's me buried under an avalanche of contempt.

Isaac

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 01:13:42 pm »

What does it say about a country that…

You seem to be thinking of a single country?

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 02:53:52 pm »

You seem to be thinking of a single country?

I can't say too much about the States as I am not familiar with how it is on the ground out there but looking at all the desperate patriotism on display in Britain I find myself repulsed by the frantic waving of the flag as if that's going to get them anywhere. I also find it rather ironic that as they celebrate the overthrowing of tyranny the mayor of London buys three water cannon for crowd control.

degrub

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 02:58:03 pm »

War is never a triumph even if one's country is on the dominant side.

Frank

Isaac

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 03:00:40 pm »

I also find it rather ironic that as they celebrate the overthrowing of tyranny the mayor of London buys three water cannon for crowd control.

Do you really intend to equate the Mayor of London with Hitler? (Not your finest 10 seconds.)

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 03:01:29 pm »

War is never a triumph even if one's country is on the dominant side.

Frank

Quite so.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 03:18:13 pm »

Do you really intend to equate the Mayor of London with Hitler? (Not your finest 10 seconds.)

And that is hardly the finest post.

Where have I equated Johnson with Hitler? Boris, despite his buffoonery, is an intelligent and calculating politician, Hitler, to a great degree, was a charismatic chancer who filled a void.

Now, if you would like to think a little more about the situation of 1944 you will appreciate that it was the time when America, helped by Britain, began the final assault on Hitlers self styled Third Reich. The Third Reich being an empire of tyranny where violence was used by the state against it's own people was obviously a bad thing and the good old Brits (of which I am one by the way) would never fall to such a level. Yet now the UK police will have access to weapons of force which they may freely use against British citizens on a indiscriminate basis, something that was unthinkable in the decades following the war because so many had died fighting a government that engaged in just such practices. Well, that's what I was told when growing up in those decades but it seems that my peers who had actually lived through the war had got it wrong all along.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 03:52:15 pm by Justinr »

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 04:39:31 am »

I'm all for remembering those who have fought for their country and paid the ultimate price but at some point we have to move on and to be honest I think that time has come. What does it say about a country that has to look back 75 years for its last moment of triumph?

Oh well, that's me buried under an avalanche of contempt.

On a single battle field in France there are 46,000 Australians buried. I am sure they would be glad that you have the freedom to express your views. Fortunately I think you are in the minority.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 05:43:05 am »

On a single battle field in France there are 46,000 Australians buried. I am sure they would be glad that you have the freedom to express your views. Fortunately I think you are in the minority.

Oh I am in the minority, and I fully appreciate that, but at some point the UK has to discard this comfort blanket of events of 75 years ago and face up to the world as a modern state and all this flag waving currently extant in Britain (not just the 'celebration' of World War Battles) is, to my mind, just a form of denial.

I'm not sure why you bring the Australians into this as I have already stated in this thread I am talking about Britain because that is the country I know best and am hardly qualified to discuss other states.

degrub

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 03:00:45 pm »

Water cannon have been in use in the larger cities in the US for at least 50 years as a way to disperse crowds. Better than bullets, rubber or real, i think. Many pumper fire trucks have one as part of normal gear.

Frank

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 08:28:39 pm »

What does it say about a country that has to look back 75 years for its last moment of triumph?

Oh I am in the minority, and I fully appreciate that, but at some point the UK has to discard this comfort blanket of events of 75 years ago and face up to the world as a modern state and all this flag waving currently extant in Britain (not just the 'celebration' of World War Battles) is, to my mind, just a form of denial.

I'm not sure why you bring the Australians into this as I have already stated in this thread I am talking about Britain because that is the country I know best and am hardly qualified to discuss other states.
I don't know how old you are perhaps you should google "Falklands War". As for it being a "celebration" of war, it's not, it's just about remembering those who died to save your way of life, many of whom came from the other side of the globe. Perhaps you should take a trip over to some of the battle fields and have a look.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 03:53:32 am »

I don't know how old you are perhaps you should google "Falklands War". As for it being a "celebration" of war, it's not, it's just about remembering those who died to save your way of life, many of whom came from the other side of the globe. Perhaps you should take a trip over to some of the battle fields and have a look.

Old enough to remember veterans from WW1 in silent tears at the war memorial, old enough to have parents and peers who lived through the second conflict, old enough to have grandparents who fought on the home front through the blitz, old enough to have friends who fought in the Falklands and see the psychological effect it had on them and yet mature enough to see that we have to let go, put it in the past and deal with the present world.

As to whether it's a celebration of war or not, that's in the eye of the beholder, but carry on playing with your tanks and guns while Adolf's successor rules the roost in the EU and Winston's political descendent burps and farts about on the sidelines.

Pages: [1]   Go Up