Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: balancing rock  (Read 1996 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
balancing rock
« on: June 09, 2014, 03:28:24 pm »

Not even a smidgin of saturation increase!

Jeremy

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: balancing rock
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 05:41:35 pm »

Ok, but then the WB must be a bit too warm. Have you checked red channel for clipping?

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 08:34:58 pm »

Nice shot Jeremy. I have that same shot, but the ladies with us wouldn't let me wait until the light was perfect! I understand and agree with the WB shift. It is already VERY red rock and depending on what was going on to the north west with stuff in the air, I can almost believe the colors. It is a beautiful place.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 09:10:01 pm »

Minor point - it is called Balanced Rock.

francois

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 06:51:29 am »

I like it, it is very luminous but Slobodan has a point regarding WB…
Francois

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 02:36:15 pm »

Ok, but then the WB must be a bit too warm. Have you checked red channel for clipping?

I have, and it's nowhere near clipped. OTOH, you may be right. If I use the snow in the background as pure white, the rocks lose most of their colour. I'm not sure that's the right thing to do, but it's certainly an option to get a less surreal appearance.

Jeremy

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 03:04:48 pm »

... If I use the snow in the background as pure white, the rocks lose most of their colour. I'm not sure that's the right thing to do, but it's certainly an option to get a less surreal appearance.

Yes, that way you could achieve the "correct" WB, but it would not be the right thing to do, I agree. The sense of the sunrise/sunset warmth should be preserved. My suggestion was to try to back off just a bit with the temperature slider, just so that the red areas regain a bit more detail and 3-D.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:19:37 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Johnny_Johnson

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 03:08:08 pm »

As you know from being there, the rocks take on a more and more reddish color as you approach sundown. I certainly wouldn't white balance such that the visual effect went completely away. I haven't looked at it in awhile but I remember my capture at sundown being similar to yours.

Later,
Johnny

wmchauncey

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 06:54:58 am »

When we first start this ludicrous hobby, having the "perfect" white occupies a lot of PP time. 
Later we learn that it is a flexible beast, subject only to the whims and emotions of our memories.    ;)
The things you do for yourself die with

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 07:23:44 am »

I have, and it's nowhere near clipped.

Sorry, Jeremy, but the image as presented is clipped (see attachment).
Perhaps a profile conversion issue?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 08:24:56 am »

The red is clipped in sRGB, not in Adobe RGB and so on.

wmchauncey

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 08:50:30 am »

Like has been shown...it very likely was not showing clipping on your monitor but, the very fact of your conversion and displaying for the web will impart an increase in saturation,
as well as a boost toward the right side of the histogram.  Especially true if you go from a ProPhoto color space to a sRGB color space.    ;)

churly

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 10:46:58 am »

Like has been shown...it very likely was not showing clipping on your monitor but, the very fact of your conversion and displaying for the web will impart an increase in saturation,
as well as a boost toward the right side of the histogram.  Especially true if you go from a ProPhoto color space to a sRGB color space.    ;)

That's interesting and totally consistent with what I have seen with conversion to sRGB from ProPhoto for the web.  Thanks for the reminder.
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 01:32:06 pm »

Like has been shown where? I'd like to study up on this a bit as I have wondered about this as well.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 01:39:52 pm »

Like has been shown where? I'd like to study up on this a bit as I have wondered about this as well.

I guess in reply #9?

It stands to reason that if you start squeezing a large color space into a smaller one, some colors might start "piercing" the smaller box and would have to be "pruned", i.e., clipped.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: balanced rock
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 02:36:58 pm »

Interesting discussion, in particular Bart's analysis. My histogram came from LR, which uses what I understand to be an enormous colour space internally. My LuLa preset has it convert to sRGB, which I imagine must have rather less headroom in the reds.

Here's a version with the colour temperature reduced in LR by 1,600 degrees. It hurts the eyes a bit less, I concede.

Jeremy

PS: Peter, you are of course right.

wmchauncey

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2014, 03:00:03 pm »

It's not a difficult thing to check...simply set a color checker point, note the colors and do the same after converting to another color space.    ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up