Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Woman Attacks Photographer For Using His Drone.  (Read 4035 times)

Kevin Gallagher

Woman Attacks Photographer For Using His Drone.
« on: June 09, 2014, 10:00:22 am »

Gotta love this one, it took place at a State Park in Madison CT. As the video says, the woman didn't know she was being taped and wound up being arrested herself. There is a bit of cursing in the video. Surprisingly I don't recall reading about this in any of our local newspapers.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=57e_1402206030

Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Woman Attacks Photographer For Using His Drone.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 11:14:05 am »

As much as I am against the concept of hate crime, as long as it exists, I would like to see attacks on photographers treated as such.

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 02:50:27 pm »

Oh I don't know, there is a certain class of paparazzi who have it coming...

amolitor

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 03:22:38 pm »

This isn't necessarily criminal, but it is social, which can be much weightier.

Like it or not, we still feel old superstitions when we're photographed. We pretend that we don't believe in the harm taking our image does. We pretend that the camera does not steal our soul. But we believe it.

Take pictures of strangers kids some time, in public place. Photographing with a drone feels more intrusive, more of a violation. Why? Is it worse to have ones soul taken by a robot?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 05:28:26 pm »

Oh I don't know, there is a certain class of paparazzi who have it coming...

Do not blame paparazzi... it is our seemingly insatiable demand for details of celebrity life that creates them. They, like vultures, simply serve a purpose in the natural or social food chain.

Iluvmycam

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 06:36:00 pm »

Carry OC spray. Cone or stream works best. At night, a tactical flashlight also is a good first warning. If they don't stop from being lit up...spray em.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 09:04:39 pm »

Interesting to see the amount of people who still seem to think that physical violence is a credible approach to solve issues.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 09:09:15 pm by BernardLanguillier »

Fine_Art

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 10:08:20 pm »

This isn't necessarily criminal, but it is social, which can be much weightier.

Like it or not, we still feel old superstitions when we're photographed. We pretend that we don't believe in the harm taking our image does. We pretend that the camera does not steal our soul. But we believe it.

Take pictures of strangers kids some time, in public place. Photographing with a drone feels more intrusive, more of a violation. Why? Is it worse to have ones soul taken by a robot?

I don't think this was about superstition, I think it was about people feeling technology is used against them. The woman is a freak, I am not condoning her attack. If I try to wonder what set her off, it is probably feeling she is at a disadvantage when people use Tech against her.

I avoid doing "street" photography for exactly that reason, I would create a social situation where the subjects are at a disadvantage.

Human lives are very interesting subjects. Several times I have been out doing photography where a powerful emotional scene unfolds. They would be great shots, I just can't bring myself to take it at what may be a vulnerable time for the subject. For example, when I was a (business) student in Cambridge, MA, I was out doing architectural shots of Boston. There was a scene I came across of this older guy looking absolutely devastated, looking up at one of the big financial buildings. I felt crushed just looking at his face about 1/2 a block down the street. Did he lose it all? He did not look like a fired banker, he looked like a retiring blue collar guy that had his life savings wiped out. There I was with a 200mm in hand. I could not bring myself to take the shot. It seemed invasive. I will never forget his face.

ahbnyc

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 11:26:29 pm »

I certainly don't condone physically attacking photographers (or other people for that matter) but I do think there is something kind of wrong (ethically, but probably not legally) about photographing people without their knowledge or consent, especially where their emotions (or what might look like their emotional state) are being depicted.  Of course, I have often enjoyed looking at street photography, so call me a hypocrite.

OldRoy

• http://
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 04:45:47 am »

Interesting to see the amount of people who still seem to think that physical violence is a credible approach to solve issues.

Cheers,
Bernard

And how can this be squared with the fact that a notional monopoly on the legitimate use of violence is the very basis of every State?

Meanwhile there are numerous regions where the least thing one has to fear from the presence of a drone is being photographed by it.
The photographer Trevor Paglen has done some interetsing work in this area.
http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandculture/article/16183/1/art-in-the-drone-age
Roy

amolitor

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 05:32:04 am »

Objections to being photographed are, mostly, rooted in superstition.

I don't much like being photographed by strangers, and I would be infuriated by a done. But it's still superstition.

To see this, just keep unpacking. You say perhaps, 'no, it's because people feel violated' then all yourself 'but why? Where is the violation?' and so on. With a few exceptions, there is no rational reason at the bottom of it all.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 05:36:04 am by amolitor »

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 05:40:33 am »

Well it seems that the local media has finally picked up on this story. This is from The Hartford Courant.

http://www.courant.com/community/madison/hc-hammonasset-beach-drone-attack-0610-20140609,0,32950.story

And This From Channel 8 News.

http://wtnh.com/2014/06/09/woman-charged-with-assault-over-drone-flight/
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 05:43:20 am by Kevin Gallagher »
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 06:08:56 am »

Hi Bernhard,

It is, and has always been, an expression of impotence, the (perceived or factual) inability of controlling the outcome of events, and one's destiny.

BTW the drone photography issue is largely a privacy issue, a subject that is culturally interpreted diversely. Public space is not an argument, because it is still an invasion of privacy, only more loosely regulated. That's why Google Street-View blurs faces and license plates.

The relationship between citizens and governments is regulated e.g. by Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights, and e.g. images taken by private persons may (in fact they do, via Facebook and the like) wind up in the hands of governments and other private organizations (e.g. insurance companies).

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 06:45:53 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 02:13:17 pm »

I don't agree with physical attacks, but in Canada at least... last year(?) a photographer in Quebec was charged for making a picture of a girl sitting on some steps without first asking permission. This doesn't fall under copyright but privacy laws. It's a little fuzzy, but if one makes a photograph of a monument for example and there happens to be a person there then there's no privacy violation, but if one shoots an image of a person and there happens to be a building or something behind that person then that's an invasion of privacy. It's a question of the main subject in the image. Use of image doesn't matter; the violation comes with clicking the shutter.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 07:27:35 pm »

And how can this be squared with the fact that a notional monopoly on the legitimate use of violence is the very basis of every State?

Totally right, state promoted use of agression as a means to solve issues is at the very core of the debate. Note that I am not debating the need to have the means to defend oneself.

Every use of violence has long term consequences, generates hatred and retaliation, provides comfortable justifications for the use of more violence.

This is the dark side of the force Star wars was talking about. ;)

The movie "bowling for Colombine" did a great job at showing how state promoted violence, embodied by the weapon lobbies, connects back to the personal level violence, distilling ideas and spreading confusion in the mind of people.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up