Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CameraRAW program for JPG  (Read 5672 times)

davidr805

CameraRAW program for JPG
« on: September 15, 2005, 02:13:05 pm »

I recently ad a post asking for a simple program to edit pictures.  I haven't receive any replies. It may be because I couldn't  explain my self clearly. So this is a second   attempt.

I have a friend that does weddings. So he does the usual things, crop, levels, brightness, contrast and the like. But he does it on photoshop .. and it takes a lot of time doing each photo one  by one ..

So I was wondering if there is a plug in or a program  (like photoshop CameraRAW) that would allow me to edit on JPG s

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 02:32:34 pm »

Sorry, it's still not clear what you are asking.

Is your issue the amount of time you spend editing individual images?  If you are going to edit one by one then it's going to take time no matter what software you use.  You can easily build actions that apply simple adjustments to levels, contrast, sharpening automatically in Photoshop.

If you don't want to edit one by one you can ususally crank up the satuation, shaprness, contrast etc in the camera - in which case you don't need any other software.

You mention jpgs specifically - but something like Raw Shooter Essentials (free) gives decent basic editing controls and reasonable options to automate your workflow.  They will release a $ version "shortly" (I'm guessing under $100) that will give you even more control, cropping, curves etc.

If it's the price of photoshop that bothers you, then Photoshop Essentials or Picture Window have loyal followings.

davidr805

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 02:47:44 pm »

Glad you told me "Sorry, it's still not clear what you are asking."  

Let's se ...

1) On CameraRAW . you can se all the photos you are going to edit ( on photoshop I would have to open each one, close , save )

2) On CameraRAW I have most of the editing tools that I would need.  I have the levels, corp, exposure, and the like. ( on photoshop I have to... well I think you know ....all the steps in order to adjust levels ...  cropping )

In short .. On CameraRAW I have all in one window.. simple, easy, perfect for him and even  for me ... I do landscape ...and i can afford staying 20 minutes on one photo

if I find something like camera raw but  for jpg .. I would  almost say bye bye to photoshop

"edited" I was thinking that if CameraRAW is so good I should convince this guy and me ( I do sometimes) to shot on RAW  :D  :D

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 03:52:09 pm »

Well, first I do encorage you to shoot RAW.  I assume the problem with ACR is that even after you've made the adjustments, you still just end up in PS and you still have to go through the save steps (not really too onerous?  one tip is to learn a couple of the keboard equivalent keystrokes - you can really fly using the keyboard instead of the mouse where possible.)

If you shoot jpg I'm not sure that any program is going to really give you the workflow you want - in PS it's only one click to bring a shot from bridge into the editing environment.  If you're willing to spend 10 - 20 minutes editing a shot the convenience you might gain by being able to edit jpgs in an ACR "like" environment is going to be pretty minimal.

If you're already familiar with PS, even shooting JPGs I can't see it making sense to switch.  Anything simpler isn't likely to speed up your workflow significantly and  isn't going to give you the range of options that PS will.  

You might take a look at Picture Window Pro and see if you like the interface any better - there's a 30 day free trial.

Also RSE (in the next version - current version is free - so take a look) might give you what you're looking for - it will automatically save the processed RAW images in whatever format you want tiff 16 or 8 or jpg, but it's never going to give you the flexibility that PS does.

davidr805

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 07:57:54 pm »

Thanks for your time Tim,

"In short .. On CameraRAW I have all in one window.. simple, easy, perfect for him and even  for me ... I do landscape ...and i can afford staying 20 minutes on one photo "

What I mean was that even-tough I can stay 10 -20 minutes on one photo .. I would like to have an interface like CameraRAW for JPGS.

My friend, that does weddings, he doesn't edit to much .. So something like Picasa, I found this one .. it seems to have every thing I am asking for in one window ... IF I COULD ONLY FIND ONE FOR MAC..

I don't know if you are familiar with iPhoto.. it lets you edit photos and is more than enough for my friend .. but its slow

I took a close look at CameraRAW and it has more editing options that would this guy ever need.. but I couldn't custom the clone tool ... (4x8) is it possible to do so?

I took a look at picture window pro.. but the demo version is only on windows ; (

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 08:26:38 pm »

Start shooting RAW. I shoot 100% RAW even for weddings and concerts where I may shoot 1000-2000 frames in a single day. The reason there is no "Camera RAW" for JPEGs is because many of the adjustments done in the RAW converter must be done on the RAW data and are not easily applied to JPEG images where the white balance, tone curve, and other things have already been applied to the image. Altering such things in a JPEG is rather like putting the toothpaste back in the tube and squeezing it out on to another toothbrush. While it can be done to an extent, the results will never be as good as if you squeezed the toothpaste on to the correct toothbrush in the first place.

davidr805

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 08:38:43 pm »

I'll try to convince my friend ..

is there a custom corp on CameraRAW... ?

Do you spend a lot of time editing photos after editing on CameraRAW?

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 08:50:29 pm »

is there a custom corp on CameraRAW... ?
If you mean "crop", you can crop an image however you like, and it will be displayed in Bridge and when you open the image in PS. The crop is non-destructive, so you can change it later if you don't like it.

Do you spend a lot of time editing photos after editing on CameraRAW?

Generally, no. I set white balance and exposure settings to groups of images in Bridge, and after converting in PS, all I do is sharpen and print. I have camera Raw color-calibrated as described here, which means that if I get the white balance set right, it's a rare thing for me to adjust color in Photoshop. Good color management is a great time saver.

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 08:07:05 am »

So I was wondering if there is a plug in or a program  (like photoshop CameraRAW) that would allow me to edit on JPG s

Have taken a look at bibble? It will convert both raw, and adjust jpeg.
It's easy to do simple adjustment to many photos in one batch for jobs that don't need PS. You can crop, adjust levels and do USM etc.

http://www.bibblelabs.com/
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

davidr805

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 02:18:08 pm »

That's exactly what I want it !!!!!!            :D  :D  :D  :D

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 03:23:10 pm »

I’d do the vast majority of global editing of RAWs in Bridge (hosting ACR). It’s SUPER fast if you handle things correctly and you can then batch process those RAWs into JPEGs. You end up with JPEGs that have IDENTICAL color appearance to the RAWs plus you have the RAW workflow that’s really useful and can be quite fast. In Bridge, you can select any number of files and very quickly apply ACR corrections (saved or auto). You can also open multiple RAWs in ACR and select one, make it “look good” and apply this to all the others in the film strip mode. You’re NOT altering the RAW data! You’re simply providing correction instructions in EXIF (text) that ACR uses to show you a preview or to produce the RAW if and when you wish. This is vastly faster than even considering opening multiple large rez files to correct. And the corrections here are totally lossless. You can convert the same RAW data with multiple iterations (you can make them into Smart Objects), you can apply a different setting to the same file a dozen times. The trick is using Bridge and ACR. Sort the images so similar images are in one location. Adjust one, apply that to all the others, done. VERY fast, very efficient. You can if you wish open them in ACR and save them as JPEGs without ever handling the RAW directly. ACR will take the items in the filmstrip and save them as TIFF, PDS or JPEG and do this all while you’re working on something else depending on if Bridge or Photoshop is hosting it.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2005, 03:42:23 pm »

I have used it for 6 months now, and it does most of what I need. Almost never have to use PS any more. Once you learn to use bibble and set up the batch jobs you need it's really fast working with raw files and generate jpegs for spesific need.

One button push and i have the picture in 3 sizes (thumb, meduim and large) ready to be used on the web, or the push of a another button and i have an imaga ready to be printed.

And best of all, bibble never touches the original! All operations are only applied to the generated output.

But it's not a PS replacement, you can't edit part of the image.
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

davidr805

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 06:27:58 pm »

thanks for all your help  :)

Bibble is definitively  not a photoshop cs2 replacement , but ti has such an interface that everything is one click away as ronnynil said..  and that is what I was looking ..

like I say before .. I mostly do landscape .. and I can afford the extra time and get advantage of many plug ins that photoshop has .. but for my friend that does weddings and it has a time line .. and only does basic editing to his photos  bibble is an advantage ..
Pages: [1]   Go Up