Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you glue two Hahnemuhle Baryta papers back to back?  (Read 2625 times)

The View

Can you glue two Hahnemuhle Baryta papers back to back?
« on: June 08, 2014, 02:13:36 am »

I'm currently designing my new book, and I'd love to have no white pages.

Only way to achieve this in a Lost Luggage Ice 9 portfolio book is gluing them back to back.

I also want to glue in an plastic strip between the two papers, and let just a bit show, and it gets punch holes, where the posts of the portfolio book go through.

I just wonder if there's a glue available (or should I use adhesive film with adhesive on both sides) so the Baryta paper won't get wavy but stays flat.

Any experience with glue and baryta paper?
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

shadowblade

Re: Can you glue two Hahnemuhle Baryta papers back to back?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 04:22:27 am »

Why not a double-sided paper?

In any case, you'd probably need some kind of interleaving between the pages anyway, to prevent them rubbing together and damaging the printed surfaces.

Iluvmycam

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 10:47:37 am »

I used to dry mount back to back silver gelatin prints. Don't know about ink jet.

The View

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 04:14:34 am »

Why not a double-sided paper?

In any case, you'd probably need some kind of interleaving between the pages anyway, to prevent them rubbing together and damaging the printed surfaces.

The Hahnemuhle Baryta doesn't come two-sided.

The tip of leaving out white pages came from a photographer who is mentoring my business ability, and I totally trust what he recommends. Books are for professional presentation and are changed every 6 to 12 months - any print surface should live that long.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

The View

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 04:15:21 am »

I used to dry mount back to back silver gelatin prints. Don't know about ink jet.

How does dry-mounting work?

PatrickAllen

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 02:40:40 pm »

You can use a pressure sensitive film adhesive. This is usually adhered using a cold roll mounting machine but you may be able to do it by hand for small prints. There are a number of manufacturers: Mactac, Seal, GBC, etc.

Best,
Patrick Allen
KenAllenStudios

The View

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 10:10:42 pm »

You can use a pressure sensitive film adhesive. This is usually adhered using a cold roll mounting machine but you may be able to do it by hand for small prints. There are a number of manufacturers: Mactac, Seal, GBC, etc.

Best,
Patrick Allen
KenAllenStudios

Thanks, Patrick.

Would 17x11 still count as small - so I wouldn't need to get a roll mounting machine?

John Caldwell

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 10:57:44 am »

Being honest, I think a back-to-back adhesion of two 325 weight HFA Baryta would feel very "scrap bookish" in hand and would be miles away from a fine art photography presentation. I believe it's a terrible idea. At the minimum, try a dry mount of two sheets back to back, and see if they exhibit the natural curl and handling of a bound book's pages. It predict it won't.

Hard to get away from the notion of two sided (thinner) papers, or just living with white pages you've been counseled to avoid.

John Caldwell

The View

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 11:48:13 am »

Thanks, John.

I'll start a thread looking for a different paper.

I love the Baryta paper, but it doesn't seem to come two-sided.
Pages: [1]   Go Up