Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: LL on schedule?  (Read 40808 times)

Jay Kaplan

LL on schedule?
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2005, 02:07:13 pm »

Thanks goodness the forum is back online. My copy of the LLVJ finally showed up on October 14th.  Over 2 weeks to get from Canada to Baltimore.

Bah, I could have driven up and back in less time including a stop to visit family in New Jersey and some sightseeing along the way.

Oh well, it was worth the wait, the quality is simply stunning compared to Volume 12.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
LL on schedule?
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2005, 03:56:07 pm »

Thanks Jake21209

Glad you enjoyed it - sorry it takes so long  

Tell me: How did you watch the DVD - computer or TV?

Chris

paulbk

LL on schedule?
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2005, 06:12:26 pm »

re: Tell me: How did you watch the DVD - computer or TV?

Chris,
fyi.. I always watch the LLVJ on computer. My monitors are far better than my TV.
Use Microsoft's media player. Much more flexible to pause, back/forth, select segments. Works good.

paul
paul b.k.
New England, USA

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
LL on schedule?
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2005, 07:30:55 pm »

Interesting , it's my impression that most viewers look at the LLVJ on a computer even though DVDs are really 'supposed' to look better on a TV monitor. Maybe it's time to put back some more interactive features like 'live' web addresses?

Chris

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
LL on schedule?
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2005, 09:50:43 pm »

Interesting , it's my impression that most viewers look at the LLVJ on a computer even though DVDs are really 'supposed' to look better on a TV monitor. Maybe it's time to put back some more interactive features like 'live' web addresses?

Chris
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=50968\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, mine did finally reach Eastern Massachusetts, a week later than it got to Blasr (also in Massachusetts).

I generally watch mine on the TV, just because I have a comfortable chair there, the screen is bigger, and I spend too much time at the computer anyway! But I'll probably try it on the computer to see how much different it looks. It sure looks fine on the TV, though.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jay Kaplan

LL on schedule?
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2005, 11:39:19 am »

Thanks Jake21209

Glad you enjoyed it - sorry it takes so long   

Tell me: How did you watch the DVD - computer or TV?

Chris
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=50963\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My computer does not have a DVD player/drive. I watched the DVD on my TV. I spend way too much time looking at a computer screen at work, so when I have the chance to watch the VJ in the comfort of my home, my first choice would always be to watch it on TV. 27" vs 19" for the computer, plus the sofa is way more comfortable than sitting at my desk, ergonomic chair or not.  

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
LL on schedule?
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2005, 09:00:11 am »

I watch on my Samsung HD DLP, just waiting for the issues to start coming out in HD.

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
LL on schedule?
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2005, 07:55:39 pm »

Quote from: EricM,Nov 11 2005, 02:50 AM
Well, mine did finally reach Eastern Massachusetts, a week later than it got to Blasr (also in Massachusetts).

I,m special,,,all the time the dvd get out to everyone else,,my is almost in my hands.

BlasR
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
LL on schedule?
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2005, 10:28:46 pm »

I really enjoyed #13!  Love the widescreen usage - looked GREAT on my 51" HDTV!  The 1 cycle/second 'interlacing flicker' (see my previous post about #12)  is still there on most segments though - however they may have been shot/processed previously, saved for future use.  Some of the segments this time were perfect.  One bit of feedback on technique - you should tone down the use of digital zoom (I assume post-processed) to simulate a 2nd camera (angle).  It's REALLY obvious, as the 'zoomed' shots look like crap in comparison.  The dramatic loss of resolution on the 'tight' shots severely detracts from the segment, constantly switching back and forth.  A minor point though - overall the BEST ISSUE yet!

I am continually impressed and shocked at the overall volume of information and segment length for the money - I hope I'm not jinxing myself!!

Awesome - keep it up, and I can't wait for the next installment!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 10:31:18 pm by kaelaria »

Jay Kaplan

LL on schedule?
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2005, 03:11:21 pm »

Just a thought, in addition to the increased clarity, even though I do not have a HDTV or widescreen, I think my favorite segment is the slide show. Is there some way to have a narrative with the slide show only as opposed to music?

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
LL on schedule?
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2005, 08:15:13 pm »

One bit of feedback on technique - you should tone down the use of digital zoom (I assume post-processed) to simulate a 2nd camera (angle).  It's REALLY obvious, as the 'zoomed' shots look like crap in comparison.  The dramatic loss of resolution on the 'tight' shots severely detracts from the segment, constantly switching back and forth.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51459\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Many thanks for your thoughts - but I never use digital zoom and am puzzled by your point. The second camera is just that and the quality at my end is exactly the same. Maybe you could elaborate and point me at a couple of scenes where you see the problem?

Chris S

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
LL on schedule?
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2005, 08:20:52 pm »

Is there some way to have a narrative with the slide show only as opposed to music?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51537\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

IMO there is enough commentary within the print discussion. I use music simply as a background to smooth the slide show. You will have noticed that the slides move pretty quickly and this is for the reason of finite & limited space on the DVD (it's actually video and the longer the slide is up, the bigger the file gets; commentary would likely take much longer). I rely on viewers using the pause button if they wish to see the slide longer.

CS

kaelaria

LL on schedule?
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2005, 08:04:38 am »

Many thanks for your thoughts - but I never use digital zoom and am puzzled by your point. The second camera is just that and the quality at my end is exactly the same. Maybe you could elaborate and point me at a couple of scenes where you see the problem?

Chris S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51567\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

WOW I'm very suprised.  I'll try to get time tonight and give you some scenes - I remember one off the top of my head, the into, where M is by the bushes.  Every tight shot looks more pixelated than the full shots - and where was the 2nd camera - right next to the first?  The shots (at first watching anyway) look identical?  Are they the same camera models?  Did you try watching on a big screen to really see the differences?

michael

LL on schedule?
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2005, 09:36:52 am »

I've viewed it on a 42" plasma and don't see any of the issues that you describe.

Michael

kaelaria

LL on schedule?
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2005, 10:43:29 am »

I've viewed it on a 42" plasma and don't see any of the issues that you describe.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51610\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When I get some more time I'll make some videos to illustrate.  Probably will need to wait till after turkey day though...so freaking busy...

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
LL on schedule?
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2005, 07:42:47 am »

... where M is by the bushes.  Every tight shot looks more pixelated than the full shots - and where was the 2nd camera - right next to the first?  The shots (at first watching anyway) look identical?  Are they the same camera models?  Did you try watching on a big screen to really see the differences?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51599\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, the cameras are in the same position and are identical Sony HDV cams. I use a specially designed 2 camera baseplate on a tripod. The largest screen I have seen it on is a 32".  My guess is that you are seeing the effects of some colour correction between the two video streams - this does cause some slight degradation of image quality especially if viewed at very large size - it is also amplified by mpeg compression. This correction is done to balance the slight colour shift between cameras.

Chris S

katemann

LL on schedule?
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2005, 07:37:54 am »

Regarding delivery - I get my VJ within a few days of ordering online. Of course - it's usually overnight mail from Toronto, where I assume Chris is located.

I suspect the hold up is at the border.

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
LL on schedule?
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2005, 11:20:40 am »

It time to start asking about issue 14...

Content, timing, etc.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
LL on schedule?
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2005, 11:49:45 am »

I believe Chris may be with the Antarctica Workshop just now - not clear whether he has access to the internet.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up