Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Half alive  (Read 30944 times)

neilcowley

Half alive
« on: September 14, 2005, 09:47:37 pm »

The board is running again but only to test if the member list has been saved.  If you can login and post, please do so on this thread to test things out.  We should be running off of a faster database and more stable system.  So jump on and post away and see if it burns up again

I've been able to rescue the topics from the other two forums, but not the 'about this site'.  So you you'll have to start the discussion about this board again.  Sorry about that.

Paul Sumi

Half alive
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 09:54:07 pm »

I was able to log in.  6:54PM PDT, Los Angeles.

Paul

neilcowley

Half alive
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 09:54:58 pm »

well tell your friends, lets start it cooking again

giles

Half alive
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 09:59:18 pm »

Looks like it's working.

Richowens

Half alive
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 10:06:55 pm »

Thank you Neil,
I like the new look.
Logged in with no problem 7:05 P.M. PDT
Rich

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Half alive
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 10:14:18 pm »

Congratulations Niel. Job well done!
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Half alive
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 10:26:07 pm »

Neil, in "Digital Cameras" and "Papers Printers Ink" I notice the topic threads are repeated twice. The others seem to be in order. Also, the posting gap for new topics seems to be from September 11th - I notice a new thread I started several hours before the crash (I belive it was the 12th?) in the Printers section is gone - I'll renew it. It seems perhaps about a day of postings before the crash got lost in the process. Wonderful to have it back again!
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

macgyver

Half alive
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 10:27:46 pm »

Umm... I was out of contact since friday the 14th or so.....

what happened?  was it the whole 'hacker' thing that everyone was worried about?

-mac

Peter McLennan

Half alive
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 10:36:46 pm »

At 7:30 PM PDT, I see this thread and double copies of everything else when I select "new posts".  All topics appear under "Digital backs" section, regardless of content.

Harrowing times, Neil.  We appreciate all you're doing.

:laugh:

collum

• http://www.jcollum.com
Half alive
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 10:58:31 pm »

logged in

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
Half alive
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 10:59:41 pm »

Neil, I can log in . Thanks for all your time and effort. Seems to be double posts in "Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear" as well.

Thanks again
Julie

Hank

Half alive
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 12:11:24 am »

Here I be.

Hank

Half alive
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 12:17:09 am »

The Quick Post option at the bottom of the page seems not to function, so I came here.  If my other post shows up without any indication on my end, you figure it out.

neilcowley

Half alive
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2005, 12:32:35 am »

Yea guys I'm aware of all the post problems.  I'm not sure but the backup that I created when the forum started having its serious issues didn't finish all the topics in all the forums and while rescuing I may have double imported some of the stuff. So you'll find holes of missing stuff and some double stuff. The forum software was under such stress that it didn't properly run the backup, I feel terrible about the loss, but I may not be able to restore much of those threads.

If everyone is able to login, I'm grateful.  What caused the crash was corruption in the member list.  That and the fact that we were using text files for a database and they were too big for thier own good.  We're now running off a mySQL database and it is quite capable of growing with us  We should have made this transition a year or two ago, and we could have avoided this - but only hindsight is 20/20 right.

I appreciate your patience for the outage and I hope it will remind you what a valuable place this is due to all of your contributions!

neilcowley

Half alive
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 12:37:55 am »

Yea guys I'm aware of all the post problems.  I'm not sure but the backup that I created when the forum started having its serious issues didn't finish all the topics in all the forums and while rescuing I may have double imported some of the stuff. So you'll find holes of missing stuff and some double stuff. The forum software was under such stress that it didn't properly run the backup, I feel terrible about the loss, but I may not be able to restore much of those threads.

If everyone is able to login, I'm grateful.  What caused the crash was corruption in the member list.  That and the fact that we were using text files for a database and they were too big for thier own good.  We're now running off a mySQL database and it is quite capable of growing with us  We should have made this transition a year or two ago, and we could have avoided this - but only hindsight is 20/20 right.

I appreciate your patience for the outage and I hope it will remind you what a valuable place this is due to all of your contributions!

dmerger

Half alive
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2005, 01:24:58 am »

Appears okay.
Dean Erger

U_Grsl

Half alive
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2005, 02:53:39 am »

Looks OK for me
UG

61Dynamic

• http://
Half alive
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2005, 02:55:35 am »

Well that answers the issue of sluggish performance in the past.

Well, glad to see things up and running again.

Digi-T

Half alive
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2005, 03:05:40 am »

Whadya know? It's already faster for me

LeifG

Half alive
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2005, 03:44:14 am »

Blimey!

The one aspect of this site that struck me most was how incredibly slow it was. It's now hurtling along like greased lightning. Thanks.

Leif
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up