Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black Bear  (Read 1981 times)

rstrick2

Black Bear
« on: June 05, 2014, 11:24:04 am »

I visited Cades cove in the Smoky Mountain and found some bears to photograph

Colorado David

Re: Black Bear
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 12:18:14 pm »

Nice.  I'm convinced that North American Black Bears are harder to photograph than Brown Bears or Grizzlies.

NancyP

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 03:16:51 pm »

very nice!

Fine_Art

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 07:19:32 pm »

Nice focus on you. It that a tag in each ear?

DwayneOakes

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 07:46:22 pm »

very nice cool bear

stamper

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 03:40:46 am »

You will be happy the bear didn't find you? ;)

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 09:14:18 am »

+1. Pleasing composition with the two spikes of grass sort of framing the bear's face.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

telyt

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 09:55:27 am »

Very nice portrait.

I'm convinced that North American Black Bears are harder to photograph than Brown Bears or Grizzlies.

Black bears think of themselves as a prey species because they evolved when Grizzlies, Saber-tooted Cats and Dire Wolves were preying on them, so they're more likely to run away than a Brown Bear or Grizzly Bear is.

OTOH in some populated areas where hunting is not allowed such as Lake Tahoe they've learned that people are not a threat.  I had to back up and maneuver to see between other people to photograph this bear, with a 280mm lens.  The Forest Service was on hand to keep people and the bear separated.

davidh202

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 12:02:29 am »

A few years ago I was led to a link to a website that had a live den cam streaming video of a Bear named Lilly, and followed the birth, growth for a year, and following year the unfortunate death of her yearling cub named Hope. The experience was to say the least, a real treat and heartbreaker all in one.

These sites may be some of the most informative and educational on Black Bears. Dr Rogers works very hard to dispel  the misconceptions most people have about Black Bears

Very worthy of some exploration if you like Bears.
http://www.bearstudy.org/website/about-wri/staff/lynn-rogers,-ph.d..html

sister site
http://www.bear.org/website/bear-pages/black-bear/basic-bear-facts.html

Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/lily.the.black.bear

« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 12:06:30 am by davidh202 »

Colorado David

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 12:51:46 am »

I was typing a response earlier when a transformer down the street blew up and we lost power.

I have photographed or been around bears in Alaska, Alberta and Saskatchewan.  Black bears are much more wary.  They have a lot to be afraid of.  They're kind of the whitetail deer of the bear world. . . sorta.  They can still kill you better and faster than a whitetail deer.  I was motoring around an island in Southeast Alaska with a friend and colleague looking for bears.  We would find sows on the beeches teaching their cubs to turn over rocks, looking for crabs to eat.  We put in at a creek as the tide was going out.  We tied up the boat and then push it out as far as we can so we don't wind up with our boat way up the beech when we want to leave.  We were wearing rubber waders and waded up the creek in the tide water, crossed over and sat down with some cover behind us.  Soon a young sow with twins approaches the creek to cross near us.  She sniffed at out trail where we had waded when it was under water, sat up, made some sound in bear language, and was off at a dead run the other direction.  The cubs were curious about what made mom run and looked back.  Mom said something else in bear language and the cubs obeyed immediately.  On the other hand, I've had brown bears or grizzlies almost pose as if they really didn't care I was there.

The Great Smokies bear is a young one.  His ears look pretty big compared to the size of his skull.  Wildlight's bear is older.

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 01:34:46 am »

Sorry to distract the thread, but did you see the bear in the hammock… link

Cheers,
Tom Brown

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 02:30:37 pm »

They're kind of the whitetail deer of the bear world. . . sorta.  They can still kill you better and faster than a whitetail deer.

Mostly. Unless you do something stupid like that one (very lucky) photographer who tried to push a wide angle lens into the face of a buck during rutting season and got away with only a damaged lens. They have those big pointy things on their heads for one reason only. When I was doing bear research with George Kolonosky he always said, "Black bears will run from you, polar bears will always try to eat you, and grizzly bears you can never tell." Not always true about the black bears (having participated in the necropsy of a bear after a fatal attack).

This is another excellent bear site: http://www.bearaware.bc.ca/

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up