Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: same image different in PS vs LR  (Read 1572 times)

bwana

same image different in PS vs LR
« on: June 05, 2014, 10:21:55 am »

I made an HDR of three images shot on a fuji x1oos IR converted camera in photoshop.  and saved it as a tiff in PS. I imported the tiff into LR 5.4.
sRGB colorspace, 16 bit, macbook pro calibrated LCD
As you can see, the same image appears very different on the same screen in the two apps. (see original)
Changing to grayscale in the respective apps without any other adjustments brings them closer but exposure differences are significant.

any suggestions as to understand why this is happening?

bwana

Re: same image different in PS vs LR
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 10:45:57 am »

well i repeated the process and noted some interesting details.
the original raf files were made bw by clicking the bw tab in LR. no other changes were made.
when you make an HDR in ps, it asks you if you want to tone in ACR- to which i replied yes
in the resulting HDR, you are in 32 bit pro photo colorspace.
and even though i started with bw raw images, the resulting HDR has color!
converting to 16 bit results in sRGB. the resulting tiff file is what is rendered above in the first post.

however, if the conversion to bw is performed first in PS simply by choosing grayscale, then the resulting tiff is rendered better and much closer in PS and LR

remember, this is the SAME image just opened by two different adobe apps.

not exactly confidence inspiring..

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 10:27:49 am »

After a quick test comparing the same image in Photoshop CC (latest) and in Lightroom 5.4 (OSX 10.7.5) I too can see subtle differences between the rendering in each.

Interesting…

But I don't know what to make of it ?

kirkt

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 12:04:33 pm »

In your first screen shot, the PS image is a 32bit preview of the HDR file.  According to the description of your workflow, you then converted this to a 16bit image, in sRGB, and saved that as a TIFF - that TIFF is presumably what is being displayed in LR?

The two image files are completely different, as the 32bit file in PS is being shown with some screen tone mapping that you set up in the "View > 32bit preview options..." menu item.

It sounds like the basic premise of your musing is that LR and PS are displaying the same image differently, when they should be identical with color management between applications.

To be fair, you need to compare the displayed 32bit TIFF in both applications to see if the screen mapping each application uses is similar (there is no 32bit exposure preview slider in LR - I suppose you need to use the Exposure slider to get the same preview capability in LR).  Also, I do not know what LR is doing to 32bit files with the auto-ranging tonal compression at the highlight end.

In any case, this comparison would be interesting (32bit preview in LR and PS) to see if the screen mapped preview is similar.  If you open the identical sRGB JPEG in PS and LR, do you see a difference in the rendering?  If you do, then there is a problem.

As far as the black and white issue goes, who knows.

kirk
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 03:58:01 pm by kirkt »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 12:18:08 pm »

As far as the black and white issue goes, who knows.

Converting to b&w in Lightroom is not the same calculation as the Photoshop conversion to greyscale mode. If the results are similar, it's a coincidence - try a different image.
Pages: [1]   Go Up