Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to get Lightroom to use DCP profile for Sigma Merrill?  (Read 3071 times)

Chris2500DK

How to get Lightroom to use DCP profile for Sigma Merrill?
« on: June 05, 2014, 04:34:55 am »

I've taken a picture of my colorchecker and converted it to TIFF in Sigma Photo Pro with just white balance and exposure corrected.
I've put the TIFF into Lightroom and exported it as a DNG.
Then I've opened the DNG in Adobe DNG profile editor and created a DCP profile.
This is saved in C:\Users\<x>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles where all the other profiles are.

But when I import my Sigma Merrill images in Lightroom I only get the "embedded" option in Camera Calibration.

How do I make Lightroom use my profile?

Denis de Gannes

Re: How to get Lightroom to use DCP profile for Sigma Merrill?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 06:07:14 am »

Are you working with a raw file? Already rendered images like tiff, jpeg will already have a profile "embedded".

p.s. I believe you should have used Lightroom to convert the raw file from your camera to DNG and then proceed to create the DCP Profile.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 06:11:32 am by Denis de Gannes »
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Chris2500DK

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 06:10:09 am »

Are you working with a raw file? Already rendered images like tiff, jpeg will already have a profile "embedded".

I can't work with the raw file, Lightroom/Adobe Camera Raw doesn't support Sigma Merrill raw files.

The Adobe profile editor only works on DNG files as far as I can see, so I wouldn't be able to create a profile from a raw file anyway.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 06:50:09 am »

You cannot apply a DNG profile to a TIFF file, even if you exported it as DNG , since the TIFF file already is color space encoded and had applied the white balance factors.

Not all DNG are equal, at the end it is just a container.

You can apply DCP profiles to Raw DNG or Linear DNG (demosaiced only, not fully processed)

A commonly used analogy:
Raw DNG - Raw
Linear DNG - Half baked
TIFF->DNG - Full baked

Regards

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 10:07:49 am »

The Adobe profile editor only works on DNG files as far as I can see, so I wouldn't be able to create a profile from a raw file anyway.
Correct, you need to build the profile upon a DNG and the use the profile on raw files (DNG or camera raw files). The TIFF is rendered and the profile is out of the picture at that stage.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Rand47

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 09:28:56 pm »

Correct, you need to build the profile upon a DNG and the use the profile on raw files (DNG or camera raw files). The TIFF is rendered and the profile is out of the picture at that stage.

I tried the OP's approach some time back, though in trying to use the flat field plug-in.  Finally dawned on me that that didn't work either.

I know we DP Merrill users are a very small user base but I sure wish Adobe could support them.  Now that the DP M Quattro is about to be released, I have little hope of DP Merrill support for my current Merrills. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams
Pages: [1]   Go Up