Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommended paper for Acrylic mounting  (Read 6392 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Recommended paper for Acrylic mounting
« on: June 04, 2014, 11:11:34 pm »

Is there a recommended paper for mounting a print under acrylic? 
Mike Guilbault

Landscapes

Re: Recommended paper for Acrylic mounting
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 01:28:46 am »

I imagine it should be a super smooth glossy paper.  Any luster surface or anything with bumps would probably look funny when squeezed up against the plexi and could very well separate that much easier since it might not have full contact with the glue.  

Edit:  Oppps.. never mind.. I read it wrong.  I thought it said mounted under acrylic, when making a facemount acrylic piece.  But I see you mean just framing with acrylic versus with glass where I guess the print wont be touching the acrylic.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 07:47:13 am »

The papers I have seen used are RC glossy the smoothest possible surface.  Most of the Rag glossy papers, will not have a 100% smooth surface. 

And note, if your printer happens to scratch the face of the print (like my 9900 does), then the scratches may or may not show up once they are face mounted.   

It's a great llooking finished product, but I feel that most of the commercial applications of this are not using an inkjet image. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 08:23:14 am »

Actually, KP, I am asking about face mounting. Thanks
Mike Guilbault

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 08:26:29 am »

Has anyone tried a paper like premium luster for acrylic face mounting.  Or what about a smooth matte paper?
Mike Guilbault

Landscapes

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 09:28:54 am »

I think a matte surface defeats the purpose.  Facemounting to acrylic gives you that super glossy look by way of the acrylic, so a matte paper wouldn't look so matte anymore, and that glue might not seep too well into the matte surface.. it might also get wet would be my guess.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 10:10:13 am »

I think a matte surface defeats the purpose.  Facemounting to acrylic gives you that super glossy look by way of the acrylic, so a matte paper wouldn't look so matte anymore, and that glue might not seep too well into the matte surface.. it might also get wet would be my guess.

It may defeat the purpose but the irony is that Wilcovak in The Netherlands will face mount Photorag with its Diasec process without additional measures. For inkjet RC papers it first adds a lamination film to the RC surface before the sandwich is face mounted with Diasec. The glue is a silicone, not water based.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
April 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 11:08:20 am by Ernst Dinkla »

shadowblade

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 10:30:00 am »

I wonder if it's possible to facemount paper to acrylic using undiluted Glamour II.

After all, it's transparent enough to be used to coat paper or canvas, flexible, and, being an acrylic itself, should bond easily with an acrylic panel.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 11:07:45 am »

I wonder if it's possible to facemount paper to acrylic using undiluted Glamour II.

After all, it's transparent enough to be used to coat paper or canvas, flexible, and, being an acrylic itself, should bond easily with an acrylic panel.

Glues that do not attack the PMMA surface but rely on adhesion for the bond, keep their weight and mass in the curing and do not have to evaporate solvents may be better suited. All in view of an optimal optical transparency. Some flexibility kept in time to dampen different expansion coeff. of the materials used may be needed too.  Hence silicone and possibly UV curing polyurethanes or acrylics.

--

shadowblade

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 12:28:00 pm »

Glues that do not attack the PMMA surface but rely on adhesion for the bond, keep their weight and mass in the curing and do not have to evaporate solvents may be better suited. All in view of an optimal optical transparency. Some flexibility kept in time to dampen different expansion coeff. of the materials used may be needed too.  Hence silicone and possibly UV curing polyurethanes or acrylics.

--

I guess the other way to get a transparent face-mount onto a piece of paper is not to glue the paper to a sheet of acrylic, but to print the transparent layer onto the paper using a UV-curable laminate!

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 04:07:13 pm »

I guess the other way to get a transparent face-mount onto a piece of paper is not to glue the paper to a sheet of acrylic, but to print the transparent layer onto the paper using a UV-curable laminate!

Liquid lamination machines with a wire wound coating rod exist, UV cured. High volume work.  Two component liquids are more often used for thicker finishes, 1- 2 mm. A vacuum chamber could do wonders I guess. RC papers preferred then as I understand it.
http://genesispd.nl/en

Not unlike dome finishing of printwork.

http://www.rtape.com/blog-post/how-to-dome-vinyl-graphics

--

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 10:03:26 am »

Soooo... any recommendations for paper? I'd prefer Epson if at all possible because I can easily get it (across the street from my studio). 
Mike Guilbault

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 12:51:42 pm »

Any textured paper the texture will be amplified.
The smoothest you can find is best. (At least for us.)

Our test put these two at the top.
Ilford Prestige Smooth High Gloss Film  Has a tint of metallic sheen which makes it my number 1 pick.
Pictorico Pro Hi Gloss White Film  Pure white and extremely smooth.
Any metallic paper. They are all very smooth surfaces and if your image is right for metallic it is the most cost effective choice.

shadowblade

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 12:55:19 pm »

Soooo... any recommendations for paper? I'd prefer Epson if at all possible because I can easily get it (across the street from my studio). 

Why not Pictorico film, or another polyester film of some kind?

It's basically the inkjet version of Fujiflex, which works very well mounted behind acrylic.

An OBA-free film would be even nicer, if one existed.

PatrickAllen

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 02:48:46 pm »

Use smooth glossy paper for transparent film adhesion or matte paper for silicone adhesion. Check with your mounter to see what they are using. Most in the US are still using film adhesive. Epson Premium Glossy or anything along that line or smoother is good. Luster papers are ok but not great, so go with the glossy. For the silicone, use Epson Hot Press Bright or similar.

Best,
Patrick Allen
KenAllenStudios

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 11:03:00 pm »

Thanks guys.. that helps!
Mike Guilbault
Pages: [1]   Go Up