Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adapters for using 4/3 lenses on M 4/3 cameras  (Read 4508 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Adapters for using 4/3 lenses on M 4/3 cameras
« on: June 04, 2014, 09:40:53 am »

I bought the Olympus 50mm f/2 macro (a 4/3 lens) for use on my Panasonic G3 using the Panasonic DMW-MA1 adapter. It works, but the autofocus is excruciatingly slow. Does the adapter have an effect on this? Would I be better off with the Olympus MMF-3 adapter? Thanks.

GLJ

Re: Adapters for using 4/3 lenses on M 4/3 cameras
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 09:51:00 am »

I bought the Olympus 50mm f/2 macro (a 4/3 lens) for use on my Panasonic G3 using the Panasonic DMW-MA1 adapter. It works, but the autofocus is excruciatingly slow. Does the adapter have an effect on this? Would I be better off with the Olympus MMF-3 adapter? Thanks.

No

BJL

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 10:09:15 am »

None of the FT-MFT adaptors will help because they are all just passive devices to hold the lens at the correct distance from the sensor and pass through the electrical signals.

The only MFT option for faster AF with that lens (or any Olympus FT lens) is a new body: the EM-1, with its on-sensor PDAF.  Hopefully, this PDAF (or alternative solution) will come to future lower-priced MFT models.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 01:27:12 pm »

None of the FT-MFT adaptors will help because they are all just passive devices to hold the lens at the correct distance from the sensor and pass through the electrical signals.

The only MFT option for faster AF with that lens (or any Olympus FT lens) is a new body: the EM-1, with its on-sensor PDAF.  Hopefully, this PDAF (or alternative solution) will come to future lower-priced MFT models.

Thanks - I see an EM-1 in my future!

rothberg

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 12:12:50 pm »

The EM-1 makes a huge difference
My 150 F2 sorta focused on an EM-5
I think its at least as fast (maybe faster) that it was on an E-5
The 300 that would not focus at all on the Em-5 works great on the 1

I am very glad that I held onto these lenses in dark days.  Somebody said (maybe Kirk Tuck) "You date bodies, but you marry lenses"

Andrew David

• My Instagram page
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 09:42:16 pm »

Depends on what you want the autofocus for. I'm not sure if the E-M1's phase detection AF will improve the AF speed of the 50mm f/2, as it is an older 4/3rds lens without the SWD? It certainly won't miraculously transform itself and rival the M.Zuiko 60mm for AF speed, and any gains in AF will be limited to the central AF point. If you're wanting autofocus for high magnification macro work, in my experience it's best to just stick with manual focus anyway.

AFairley

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 12:35:26 pm »

Depends on what you want the autofocus for. I'm not sure if the E-M1's phase detection AF will improve the AF speed of the 50mm f/2, as it is an older 4/3rds lens without the SWD? It certainly won't miraculously transform itself and rival the M.Zuiko 60mm for AF speed, and any gains in AF will be limited to the central AF point. If you're wanting autofocus for high magnification macro work, in my experience it's best to just stick with manual focus anyway.

Not to mention that the 50mm macro is not a snappy focuser even on the 4/3 E-5.

Deep

Re:
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 06:09:06 am »

I just tried the equally slow 35mm macro on my EM1 today and was surprised at how snappy the focus was.  Much faster than on the 4/3 E620 it came with and, from memory, snappier even than it was on my old E3.  You do need PDAF to drive those 4/3 macros properly.  The G3 can't do that.
Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up