Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ACR 8.5 RC - LR 5.5 RC Soon?  (Read 3629 times)

MBehrens

ACR 8.5 RC - LR 5.5 RC Soon?
« on: June 03, 2014, 08:25:22 pm »

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cameraraw8-5-cc/

Comes with a new Removal Brush for Graduated and Radial filters. Hope to see this in LR soon.

Rand47

Re: ACR 8.5 RC - LR 5.5 RC Soon?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 08:40:10 pm »

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cameraraw8-5-cc/

Comes with a new Removal Brush for Graduated and Radial filters. Hope to see this in LR soon.

How cool!  I've been waiting for this ability in LR.  Huzzah!

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 12:24:33 am »

Well, you want the good news or the bad news?

ACR being a part of Photoshop CC (subscription model) can add new features whenever the engineers get something done. LR however is still a perpetual license product so LR will not get "new features" until the next major upgrade (LR6). So, if you are willing to wait till LR6 (and get the upgrade) then you'll catch all the intermediate new features added to ACR 8.x. This is the new reality...

laughingbear

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 12:55:01 am »

Hi Jeff,

quick question, I am new to CC since 24 hours only.  :) Will I see this under apps in the CC menu available for download? Currently it states PS CC is uptodate.

Thanks!
Georg

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 01:10:48 am »

Georg

You will not see RC (Release Candidate) versions in the apps section of CC.

Jeff,

That does not make much sense and will cause a lot of confusion. If they want to have the update only for CC fine, but why not naming it ACR CC instead of 8.5? I would be expecting a LR 5.5 following that notice. Additionally, what about those clients who have LR under the CC licensing and use LR for DAM? no more pairing of LR and PS? then please give us a LR CC version.

Regards,

laughingbear

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 01:25:59 am »

Georg

You will not see RC (Release Candidate) versions in the apps section of CC.

Thanks Francisco. Would have been handy though to stay on the ball with the latest improvements instead of following blogs.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 01:35:13 am »

Release Candidate versions are not fully tested and might have issues, which is not acceptable for production environments. The new version will appear in CC as soon as a general release version is made available. Release Candidates are for testers and those who follow blogs

Regards,

Schewe

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 03:24:44 am »

That does not make much sense and will cause a lot of confusion. If they want to have the update only for CC fine, but why not naming it ACR CC instead of 8.5? I would be expecting a LR 5.5 following that notice. Additionally, what about those clients who have LR under the CC licensing and use LR for DAM? no more pairing of LR and PS? then please give us a LR CC version.

It makes sense if you understand the fundamental differences between perpetual vs subscription and what Adobe can and can't add to upgrades vs updates. ACR is part of Photoshop CC and as such can get new feature upgrades. LR is still a perpetual licensed product and as such can not get new feature upgrades between major versions.

So, ACR in CC can get new feature upgrades while LR can not.

Ignore for the moment that LR is part of the CC product lineup (if bought as the photographers bundle or the full CC bundle) because LR is still controlled by it's basis as a perpetual license product.

So, ACR for Photoshop CC can get incremental feature upgrades while LR can not.

And yes, this means that ACR & LR will no longer have 1:1 feature parity. We've already seen this with ACR 8.4.

LR won't get the new features in ACR 8.5 till the next major LR upgrade–LR 6.

laughingbear

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 03:53:05 am »

Release Candidate versions are not fully tested and might have issues, which is not acceptable for production environments. The new version will appear in CC as soon as a general release version is made available. Release Candidates are for testers and those who follow blogs

Regards,

Aha, got it! Thanks again!

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 04:00:13 am »

It makes sense if you understand the fundamental differences between perpetual vs subscription and what Adobe can and can't add to upgrades vs updates. ACR is part of Photoshop CC and as such can get new feature upgrades. LR is still a perpetual licensed product and as such can not get new feature upgrades between major versions.

So, ACR in CC can get new feature upgrades while LR can not.

Ignore for the moment that LR is part of the CC product lineup (if bought as the photographers bundle or the full CC bundle) because LR is still controlled by it's basis as a perpetual license product.

So, ACR for Photoshop CC can get incremental feature upgrades while LR can not.

And yes, this means that ACR & LR will no longer have 1:1 feature parity. We've already seen this with ACR 8.4.

LR won't get the new features in ACR 8.5 till the next major LR upgrade–LR 6.

Ok, fair enough, I guess there will be a LR 5.5 with support for new cameras without the new features, similar to the ACR 8.5 for CS6

Schewe

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 04:12:52 am »

Ok, fair enough, I guess there will be a LR 5.5 with support for new cameras without the new features, similar to the ACR 8.5 for CS6

Correct...

Rand47

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 08:36:15 am »

Correct...

Jeff,

Any crystal ball estimate on LR6 ETA that doesn't violate NDA?   I'm CC Photographer's bundle, and have been looking forward to this feature. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Costas

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 09:26:00 am »

Could be August but anytime between now and September if this information is correct

http://photorumors.com/2014/06/03/adobe-photoshop-lightroom-6-coming-this-summer/

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 10:12:07 am »

If you use LR and Photoshop CC it turns out the workflow is not completely broken by not having LR and PS paired. There are some options to use the new features in ACR and keep doing what you are used to do in LR:

- Open the image in ACR, perform the desired edits and then import the image to LR together with the xmp (if you use xmp). The new edits are "seen" and maintained in LR

- If you already have worked in LR and you want to use the new features:

a)export to DNG (unless you are already working with a DNG) and open in ACR. The changes will be included in the DNG and when you finish you can synchronize it back in LR; or

b) open the image as a smart object in PS and then double click on the smart object. The image will open in ACR and you can perform the edits. Note: with this option you cannot go back to LR as raw.

ihv

• http://www.flickr.com/ihv
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 04:18:45 pm »

Well, you want the good news or the bad news?

ACR being a part of Photoshop CC (subscription model) can add new features whenever the engineers get something done. LR however is still a perpetual license product so LR will not get "new features" until the next major upgrade (LR6). So, if you are willing to wait till LR6 (and get the upgrade) then you'll catch all the intermediate new features added to ACR 8.x. This is the new reality...

I think this all is absolutely fine, especially considering the shortened product lifecycle.

What concerns me more is the bug fix prioritisation - I'm still surprised the export output sharpening took so long to fix and only happened in the frame of standard update cycle (meaning this was not really considered as a critical issue).
The current version still needs restarts from time to time after processing many images - the thumnail preview just freezes.

In the end, I hope to see more quality product, fingers crossed.

dreed

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 08:25:50 am »

Sounds to me like Photoshop CC users get to "test drive" the feature before it is released in LR - what's not to be happy about that? :D

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 08:32:17 am »

It is an interesting reversal though. In the past one has always been able to say that LR offered features that ACR lacked - Before/After being the best example - but for the first time the opposite is true.
Pages: [1]   Go Up