Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Last Bloom of Youth  (Read 1105 times)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
The Last Bloom of Youth
« on: June 03, 2014, 09:56:35 am »

Would like your reaction to the two different crops. I think I prefer version 1 because it becomes more about the flower blossom and the bottle is distracting in version 2, although I like it almost as well. If my intention is to emphasize that blossom, which do you prefer and why?
Thanks for the comments.

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
Re: The Last Bloom of Youth
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 10:32:59 am »

Hi David

I find the bottle distracting in both versions.
To me, it is all about the flower, so I would only show the flower. Perhaps pull it out of the bottle a bit more then take only the flower. If you were to merely crop the bottle out I think the stem would be to short.

William

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Johnny_Johnson

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 11:44:30 am »

If you were to merely crop the bottle out I think the stem would be to short.

But even that looks better to me than having the top of the bottle show.

Later,
Johnny

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 12:35:53 pm »

David,
... If my intention is to emphasize that blossom...

David, my friend, I do not give a damn (rhetorically only, of course) what your intention was... your second image is simply exquisite! And for all the wrong reasons (wrong from the standpoint of your intentions, that is). You (and others) call the bottle distracting (meaning attracting too much interest, against your intentions), I call it attractive, a valuable visual and metaphorical counterbalance to the flowers. It glows bright yellow-green, full of life, in total juxtaposition to the dying flowers. In the first image, everything seems dead, the flowers and the subdued green bottle. #2 is life where you do not expect it (dead sand) and death where you do not want it (flowers).

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 05:30:20 pm »

I entirely agree with Slobodan on this. The bottle in #1 is distracting because there's not enough of it. In #2, it's truly a part of the scene and it just works.

[horizon police] It would be even better if the water level didn't slope down to the left. [/horizon police]

Jeremy

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 05:24:03 pm »

Interesting take gents, I can fix the horizon, officer! My dad picked that one as well. I was focused  ;) on the blossom, live an dead, not really thinking about the bottle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up