Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radial Filter: Hide (H) Mask Toggle  (Read 1476 times)

John Caldwell

Radial Filter: Hide (H) Mask Toggle
« on: June 02, 2014, 03:00:02 pm »

Is there any means of looking at the GUI to determine if the Radial Filters mask is in a Hidden or Unhidden state at the instant the Radial Filter tool is selected? In my hands, I can only see if this filter's mask selection is in a Hidden vs. Show state if I drag in the image field. While not a huge issue, I'd very much like to be able to look at the tool panel to see if we are in a Hide or Show state before applying the mask. My preference is to see the mask handles as I drag in the image, but as it is now, I tend to delete the mask I just laid down if the mask was created from a Hidden state. If this has been harped upon previously, forgive me.

I'll say that the Radial Filter has been a huge time saver to me, as I process a lot of repetitively captured images such that synchronizing settings, and just repositioning the radial filter masks as needed between images, has been just great. We can't do the same thing with moving Brush masks of course.

Many thanks,

John Caldwell

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Radial Filter: Hide (H) Mask Toggle
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 03:59:54 pm »

Lower left corner:

John Caldwell

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 04:19:16 pm »

Thank you, Slobodan. How would Auto Show work in this context, if I may ask? If I am correct, the Hide or Show value of the Radial Filter's mask will be the last state in which the filter was used, even if Auto Show has been selected. As an example, if Tool>Overlay>Auto Show is selected, the pins do show as soon as the Radial Filter is made the active tool. If you then Hide the radial filter's pin and move on to another tool, the Radial Filter's pins will be hidden the next time you return to the radial filter. Do you not see this on your system?

Again my wish is to be able to look at the tool palette at a glance, and observe whether pins are Shown or Hidden, and do that as soon as the radial filter is chosen as the active tool.

If I've misunderstood the solution you have offered, I apologize.

Many thanks,

John Caldwell

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 04:42:57 pm »

Auto Show works the moment you move your mouse into the image field.

Again my wish is to be able to look at the tool palette at a glance, and observe whether pins are Shown or Hidden, and do that as soon as the radial filter is chosen as the active tool.

If I understand you correctly, that can be achieved by selecting "Always" from the pop-up menu.

John Caldwell

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 04:56:40 pm »

Yes, but the moment you hide the radial filter pin, that hidden state is retained to next time you visit the radial filter. Your suggestion of using the Always state would make sense (for me) as the default starting condition for the radial filter, meaning once first selected the pin is Shown, but even with Always previously selected the starting state of the filter is the last one used - Hide or Show. So if you Hide the filter pin after your masks are laid down, the filter will always return in a Hide state the next time the radial filter is chosen as the active tool.

Once again, the goal is to glance at the right handed tool palette, see whether the radial filter's mask is currently in a Hide or Show state, so you can toggle that state with a simple H-keystroke. I do now see, with the help you have given me here, that you can see the current state of pin hiding my keeping the toolbar visible. So that is a workaround, I guess, but (for me only) not as succinct as having some sort of visual toggle at the tool panel to convey the Hide vs. Show condition of the toggle.

Thanks for your interest, Slobodan.

John Caldwell
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 05:16:46 pm by John Caldwell »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 06:17:11 pm »

... you can see the current state of pin hiding my keeping the toolbar visible...

Yes, and if you make the toolbar itself invisible (by toggling T), then, of course, you want see it. My humble suggestion is never to use the H toggling (Hide/Show) in the first place.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 01:41:29 am »

Yes, and if you make the toolbar itself invisible (by toggling T), then, of course, you want see it. My humble suggestion is never to use the H toggling (Hide/Show) in the first place.

+1. I leave all the local tools and spotting on auto show.
Pages: [1]   Go Up