Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: current printer recommendations  (Read 1032 times)

ears

current printer recommendations
« on: May 31, 2014, 06:37:02 am »

I haven't seen a printer review in some time around here.  Can any one make a recommendation from the current crop of printers.

I think A3 would be big enough. 

Thanks in advance

Ears

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: current printer recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 06:43:55 am »

I don't want to be facetious, but when you get ten different recommendations, what are you going to do?

Have you done any homework, for example, (1) defining in detail what you intend to do with the printer - how often it will be used, what formats of output you want from it, what kind of maintenance you are prepared to put into it, what kinds of paper you will use, what criteria you have for the printer's colour gamut and black and white printing qualities, whether you need or don't need a roll feeder, how important the manufacturer's reputation for service and support is to you and its availability where you live, etc. etc. (2) Based on your careful of at least all these factors, have you read various reviews and user experiences in the multitude of forum topics in this forum and other such forums on the internet? (3) Have you visited a retailer who may have several models on display and be able to demonstrate for you, to get a feel for what you think may be suitable for your needs?

In sum, making smart choices take a bit of work and thinking - you can always ask for recommendations here of course as you are doing, but be aware it is unlikely to be sufficient if you really want to know what you are doing.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Simon Garrett

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 07:31:01 am »

And most important: price range. 

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 07:33:58 am »

Possibly - though the candidate models may not be that far apart in acquisition cost. Usually what matters more are operating costs - ink in particular - size of cartridges and price per ml, ml used per sq.ft. of paper coverage, ml used for de-clogging.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 04:33:15 pm »

I haven't seen a printer review in some time around here.
That's because nothing has changed.   I think it's been 3 or 4 years since any significant changes in printers have been introduced. All of the discussions since then, including pros and cons still apply

For a3, Epson 3880 is by far the best choice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up