Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Corran Croft  (Read 613 times)

Dewi Sant

• Dewi Sant Photography
Corran Croft
« on: May 30, 2014, 04:17:15 pm »

Another from my Silver Efex attempts. This is an old Crofters hut in the isolated village of Corran in the Western Highlands of Scotland.  I've fixed the border on this one. 

Silver Efex has really renewed my interest in Monochrome photography, I'm off on a European roadtrip in a couple of weeks, I guess most of the shots I take there will be done with Mono in mind. I've got a new travelling companion for the trip as well - an Olympus PEN EPL-5 m4/3rds.  Even with 4 lenses (inc two legacy: a Pentax 50mm f1.7 and a Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm) the rucksack isn't even half the weight it used to be with the DSLR gear - I'll be able to get it in the car boot a lot easier as well (small car).

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Corran Croft
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 07:47:37 am »

Perhaps it is due to the small size of the representation here, but I get the impression that you've overdone the SilverEfex - the equivalent of over-saturating a colour image. The blacks seem too black - almost lifeless without detail. The contrasting highlights, would be appropriate if the rock was glistening wet, but the rock (and roof) don't look wet. I understand that you may want a "dark", contrasty, moody image to portray the subject, but just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

However, that being said, an image treatment like this might serve well on, for example a rock or punk music album cover.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up