Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: glass-less display  (Read 7248 times)

shadowblade

Re: glass-less display
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2014, 10:53:57 pm »

I tried the duct tape rip test in scrap prints coated with polycrylic, prints made with,Moab Entrada, Epson enhanced matte, Cold Press Bright and Breathing color Pura smooth
In all cases the tape rips deep, o it looks like the varnish penetrates deeper than the ink layer.
Is that the answer you where looking for?
Hugo

Thanks - that's what I was hoping to see. Looks like the varnish stabilises and binds the inkjet layer to the paper in a way that the solvent-based sprays don't - when you use the duct tape test on unsprayed paper, or paper sprayed with a solvent-based spray, the paper base stays intact and the inkjet layer comes off with minimal force.

huguito

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2014, 11:06:42 pm »

I like your idea for this test.
I did it on prints coated with Polycrilyc.
Would be interesting to see if someone else can do the same with coatings of Timeless or Glamour

Hugo

shadowblade

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2014, 01:26:45 pm »

I like your idea for this test.
I did it on prints coated with Polycrilyc.
Would be interesting to see if someone else can do the same with coatings of Timeless or Glamour

Hugo

Credit for the 'duct tape' test must go to Bill T, who described this method a few months back when myself and a few others were discussing the use of these aqueous varnishes to permanently fix the inkjet layer to the paper base by enmeshing them both in a layer of Timeless, rendering inkjet paper as permanent as uncoated watercolour paper while retaining its printing qualities.

He reported good results with Epson Watercolour and Breathing Colour Pura Smooth/Velvet papers, but poor results with Canson papers (although his mixture did not contain a surfactant). With a surfactant to enhance its wetting properties, I suspect Timeless (and other aqueous varnishes) would be able to sink into a wider range of matte papers, and perhaps even some glossy papers.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up