Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hiking with MFDB. Arca Rm3di and iq160.  (Read 1680 times)

JamesJetel

Hiking with MFDB. Arca Rm3di and iq160.
« on: May 30, 2014, 12:17:00 pm »

I'm going to ask some questions, many of which could probably be answered with - "shoot film".

I'm going to be hiking for 6-10 days in South America with limited access to  electricity. I'm wondering if  doing this with the IQ system is going to be feasible.
My questions are-
1. Power - I've gotten some good response on battery solutions for the field in prior posts. The best of which involves after market high capacity batteries connected to a dummy battery in the IQ. I there a less bulky or even solar powered solution where I can charge batteries while I hike?
2. Pack - I'm a happy owner of the Think Tank Airport Security, and a mildly outfitted Photobackpacker Kelty P2 from Bruce Laughton. The latter is a good hiking solution, but I'm wondering if anyone has any good experiences with others.
3. Storage - Once upon a time the Epson hdd's with the screens on them were good solutions. But that was  a while back and I'm not sure how compatible they are with IIQ files.  Anyone field tested any good solutions?
4. Ballhead - I normally use the manfrotto 410, but it can be rather bulky and is about twice the weight of my feisol tripod. Maybe I should ask Kerry, but any rm3di users have thoughts?
5. Rain cover - anyone make themselves one?
Other things I'm not thinking about....????

Thank you in advance!
JJ

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Hiking with MFDB. Arca Rm3di and iq160.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 02:06:43 pm »

I think I’d just load up on 32gig cards. but you could carry a hyperdrive, or maybe a small tablet.  Just carrying cards would be a little pricey but definitely lighter.

As far as charging batteries, I guess it depends on how “limited” electrical access is, and what your needs will be. If you can recharge the batteries every 2 or 3 days from power, I think I’d just carry a bunch of batteries,  there are new higher capacity batteries which would help. If you have to go 6 to 10 days and are shooting heavy, that probably wouldn’t work ...

Maybe something like this to charge while you hike or are camping?

http://www.goalzero.com/backpacker-hiker

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 02:21:02 pm »

I carry a IQ260, 40mm, 60mm and 28mm, and at times 90mm along with rm3di.

You might want to consider purchasing a Factum, as you only need the frame, the guts of your rm3di will fit inside.  About 1.5 lbs lighter may not sound like much but over time it will.  Not as bulky as the rm3di either.

I use 2 different packs, one when I am working in and around water, i.e. crossing where I need 100% water proof solutions.  The other pack I use the F-stop Satori.  

https://shop.fstopgear.com/us/products/mountain/backpacks/satori-exp.html

The Satori is not as big as it looks on screen and if you are a taller person, I don't think you will like the fit of the smaller packs as the waist belt hits too high up.  Great pack, they also sell a rain cover that gives you 100% coverage and it's seam sealed.  Will fit in most airline carryon space and if the pack is too big, then just take the ICU out and carry it on the plane, and check the pack.  The removable ICU design of F-Stop is excellent.

Battery, be careful on the solution you mentioned as with the IQ the door has to stay open.  I am also a bit wary of this since you can't really tell how much heat or discharge the battery is using.  Phase One is coming out with a 3400 millamp cell, not sure when as they were supposed to already be on the market, but I would check with a dealer on availability.  If you are not going to be ever close to a place to re-charge, the Phase One solution may be a bit tough as there is no AA solution I know of.   The whole battery issue is one thing I would like to see Phase One address, net it's not that hard to make a battery with more millamp's that will fit inside the case.  You just need to want to.  

Storage, never used the Epson style hard drive, however you might try to take along a smaller computer like the Surface Pro 2, and a SSD drive, 256GB capacity or a couple of them.  They will download at USB3 Speeds and you won't need to have the laptop on very long, it's just a matter of weight.  However should weight much more than the Epson drive as I recall they were not that light.

Ballhead, for weight, consider the RRS BR-40.  It will hold your rig, and it's not heavy at all.  I use one on my setup when I know I will be going on hikes longer than a mile or so.  Knobs are small, and it takes a bit to get used to, but it's rock solid.  If you use it make sure you order the clamp from RRS that will accommodate your Arca foot, if you go quick release, or use the screw clamp.

I would also look at the Gitzp 1542 mountaineer tripod,  3 leg 4 section, not too heavy and still will hold the wight of your rig.  

Paul

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Joe Towner

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 05:50:47 pm »

For storage, grab a pair of the Hyperdrive ColorSpace2's (diskless - add your own SSDs for better battery life).
http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive/UDMA-2/

It'll work with the IIQ files
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf6ZsXEn1xA
t: @PNWMF

DanielStone

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 09:12:52 pm »

since you mentioned it in your original posting, are you TOTALLY against shooting film?

TBH, carrying 20rolls of MF film isn't all that heavy, and depending on your shooting routine(bracketing?), you might find that film and a handheld spot or ambient meter might serve you very well. Of course, lens coverage might limit which format(s) you could shoot(up tot 6x9 on the MF Arca cameras, IIRC?)

TBH, I don't own a digital back myself, and maybe never will. I shoot film(mostly 6x8cm and 5x7" sheet film), and drum scan it. I get HUGE, beautiful files if I make sure that every step of the process is done correctly. Film is easy to carry, most films these days have great reciprocity, so longer exposures aren't too bad of an issue to correct for. Of course, finding a good scanner operator isn't all that hard, but if you want to not spend a bunch of money, shoot thoughtfully.

Will you be carrying OTHER SUPPLIES, like camping gear, food, etc. with you as well? Or will this "hiking" be more like day hikes from a base camp or a lodge/hotel/from the car?

If you're adverse to film altogether(seeing that you already have an IQ160), let us know ;). I just felt like playing devil's advocate, but I'm slightly jealous too, I'd love to go hiking/photographing in S. America as well :)

cheers,
Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up