Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Water Wall  (Read 6779 times)

Isaac

Re: Water Wall
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 11:36:35 am »

Four or five years ago … I was reading Arizona Highways magazine.  Just inside the front cover was a long, drawn out apology to the readers for accidentally allowing the publication of a cover photo that had been manipulated.

…I also wonder if they realized the photographer may have adjusted the exposure, contrast, white balance or even cropped the image. Shame! Oh right, the magazine probably cropped the image to make it fit the the aspect ratio of the cover. What bunch of hypocrites! Imagine if this same magazine were ever to publish a painting then discover later the artist left out a small twig!  OMG! Arizona ought to pass a law...

Terry, have you actually seen that magazine article?

Sounds to me like you've rushed to denounce others as hypocrites based on nothing more than someone else's vague recollection.

I haven't been able to track-down anything that matches the apology description, but I did stumble across -- "The Right Touch: Photoshop has become a household word. At this magazine, however, it's something we use sparingly. This month we used it on the cover. Here's why." pdf page 9.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 12:22:33 pm by Isaac »

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 01:49:46 pm »

This thread is the perfect example of why folks don't post images on here like they used to.

Why would anyone want to subject themselves to the self appointed critics?  Can't folks just enjoy a photograph without the urge to point our what's "wrong" with it?

I am a firm believer that in a setting like this, critique shouldn't be offered unless it's specifically requested.

If you want to critique something, great. Feel free. Just then resist the urge to type out your critique and hit the "post" button...

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2014, 02:09:01 pm »

It seems pretty simple to me. If it's posted in the "Critiques" section, it's reasonable to suppose that a critique is requested.
If it's posed anywhere else (such as in "Landscape & Nature Photography," for example), then a critique should not be given unless one is specifically asked for.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2014, 03:42:11 pm »

I think it's worth noting that the person who posted the photograph welcomed all the comments with good grace.

Duly noted, but that doesn't mean he ASKED for the comments. 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2014, 04:32:59 pm »

There was a very prolific writer many years ago named Corey Ford.  He wrote a lot of different things, history, journalism, humor.  He was a screenwriter during the 1930s.  He was commissioned in the Army during World War II and wrote a book called War Below Zero about the Japanese in the Aleutian Islands.  Anyway, he is probably best remembered for writing a monthly humorous column in Field and Stream Magazine called The Lower Forty.  In one of the columns he described a purist;  A purist is someone who goes to great lengths to deny themselves a little pleasure.

Right On!
To borrow from Farley Mowatt - Never let a few twigs get in the way of a good picture

rhynetc

• Tom Rhyne Photography
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2014, 09:45:42 am »

You and your ilk who are driven to demonstrate, at all costs, your superior knowledge and skill are why this forum is useless as a learning forum. 

Isaac

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2014, 11:08:43 am »

You and your ilk who are driven to demonstrate, at all costs, your superior knowledge and skill are why this forum is useless as a learning forum.

I frequently see much that I could learn about photography in this forum; most of which simply adds to my awareness of things I really don't know about, although occasionally a crumb of information sticks.

I never see much to like about bad-mouthing those who aren't present in this forum to defend themselves, whether they be deceased photographers or magazine photo-editors.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2014, 08:52:21 pm »

As photographs (without cloning) taken on successive days would demonstrate that nature was not static, your "ideologues who believe nature is static" remark is pure bombast.

Even if some photographers were "ideologues who believe nature is static" that's no reason to think that those hypothetical individuals would not consider themselves to be artists, or that others would not consider them to be artists.

Once you accept breaking the speed limit, then you must accept murder?

Sorry Terry, photography is a big big world and you're being just as self-righteous as the hypothetical nameless faceless individuals you choose to mock.

Gee, I wondered what was up. I think I've posted about a dozen comments lately without Isaac jumping all over me.

I can always count on Isaac for setting me straight. I honestly can't believe I wrote such drivel. Pity me!

You are right Isaac. Always right!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Rand47

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2014, 08:59:57 am »

Terry,

The Ignore User function is your friend.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2014, 02:14:39 pm »

Perhaps you posted a dozen comments without bad-mouthing anyone.

Not a criticism which could be levelled at you, that's for sure.

Jeremy

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2014, 03:05:09 pm »

I LOVE the "Ignore User" function!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Isaac

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2014, 12:10:40 pm »

Not a criticism which could be levelled at you, that's for sure.

It's easy enough to make insinuations but criticism doesn't really work until you show examples.

Arizona Highways magazine's explanation of one cover image is somewhat interesting ("The Right Touch" pdf page 9).

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2014, 10:54:16 pm »

Perhaps you posted a dozen comments without bad-mouthing anyone.

Isaac, I've said a lot things on this forum, but I have never bad-mouthed anyone - ever! Constructive criticism of the type I've provided is done tactfully and with only good intentions, and, from what I'm reading, it is appreciated.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2014, 11:13:10 pm »

My finger is itching on the Lock Thread button - or should I split it off at the top of page 2 and re-title it the Wailing Wall and transfer it to the nether regions of the CoffeeCorner?

Please move on.

Isaac

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2014, 01:34:31 pm »

I've now heard how someone could feel they have "never bad-mouthed anyone" and also denounce "What bunch of hypocrites!"

All that matters is that it might have been true.

There's no acceptance of the responsibility to find out if it is true, and so nothing to correct or apologize for. That isn't how I'd like to be treated and I don't believe it's how Terry would like to be treated.

Moving on.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up