Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Print size problems  (Read 1724 times)

douvidl

Print size problems
« on: May 29, 2014, 02:00:57 pm »

I am attempting to print a 14in X 18in. image on a 17in x 21in canvas. First I set the size of the image, 14 x 18 on PScc, then set the canvas.  The image/canvas size are confirmed on the PScc scales.  Moving over to the print screen (Ep 3880), i set the media at 17 x 21, center, scale  to match media etc.  I even proof the product as a pdf.  (The media is gloss canvas)

The final product is always about 3/8 short on each dimension (length & width) of the image.  Never prints to the full 14 x 18. And the amount "short" on each side is NOT equal.

I am baffled.  Any wisdom, insights magic incantations would be appreciated.

David

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Re: Print size problems
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 03:30:03 pm »

I am attempting to print a 14in X 18in. image on a 17in x 21in canvas. First I set the size of the image, 14 x 18 on PScc, then set the canvas.  The image/canvas size are confirmed on the PScc scales.  Moving over to the print screen (Ep 3880), i set the media at 17 x 21, center, scale  to match media etc.  I even proof the product as a pdf.  (The media is gloss canvas)

The final product is always about 3/8 short on each dimension (length & width) of the image.  Never prints to the full 14 x 18. And the amount "short" on each side is NOT equal.

I am baffled.  Any wisdom, insights magic incantations would be appreciated.

David

Try setting the canvas size to the same as the image size: 14x18. Let the printer driver center that. I don't think the 3880 can do a full bleed print. Are you sure you don't mean 17x22 for the canvas size? That's C-size.

Jim
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 03:33:48 pm by Jim Kasson »

douvidl

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 04:08:58 pm »

I want the image to have an 1.5 boarder, hence the smaller image size.  The canvas size is not the issue.  The issue is the size of the image on the canvas. The canvas size meets the framing requirements for an illusion frame.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 06:41:38 pm »

The canvas size is not the issue.  The issue is the size of the image on the canvas.

So it prints small if you leave the canvas size in Ps at 14x18 and tell the driver the print size is 17x21?

Jim

douvidl

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 06:58:57 pm »

but that is mathematically not possible.  The canvas can not be smaller that the image.  Else you clip, clip clip.
David

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 07:45:02 pm »

but that is mathematically not possible.  The canvas can not be smaller that the image.  Else you clip, clip clip.
David

The image is 14x18, right. Make the canvas in Ps the same size as the image, 14x18. No border in Ps. Now print it, and tell the Epson driver the paper size is 17x21. Is the image 14x18?

Jim

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 11:21:04 pm »

Some screen shots of your different setups ... paper setup, printer dialog, photoshop size dialog may be helpful.  I'm trying to picture what setting might be wrong.

The canvas isn't shrinking is it?

heheapa

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 11:49:38 pm »

That's likely due to the media type that you select.
Are you doing manual load with the correct media type selected?
If you do the borderless printing (17") with the mirror borders, will you see the shrinkage in the printout?

mjrichardson

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 02:34:03 am »

Douvidi

If I'm reading you right then Jim is correct, what you are doing is creating the entire image size including the border you want in PS and then sending it to the printer, the canvas size you are creating in PS is 17"x21" with the image centred at 14"x18". If you are doing that then you would require the printer to be able to print full bleed on canvas which it can't do so it's reducing the size slightly which is why you are ending up with a smaller image, it doesn't know that the border you are creating is white, it just knows that the image size is 17"x21" which it knows it can't print because it would need to be full bleed.

As Jim says, the only thing you should be doing in PS is resizing the physical image to 14"x18" then sending just that to the printer, forget making the canvas size in PS to equal the physical canvas size in the machine.

Once you have the image at the correct 14"x18", in the print dialog box, tell the printer that the media is 17"x21" and that you want the image centred within that space, it will then print the image at the correct size within the 17"x21" media size.

Mat

douvidl

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 11:42:42 am »

I will try. Thanks

Manoli

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 11:52:17 am »

The image is 14x18, right. Make the canvas in Ps the same size as the image, 14x18. No border in Ps. Now print it, and tell the Epson driver the paper size is 17x21. Is the image 14x18?

Jim

You're running two parallel threads on the same issue.
Jim, has given you excellent advice above - would strongly suggest you follow his checklist above as a first step. It's either a 'yes' or a 'no'.

douvidl

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 12:21:58 pm »

I am aware of the two threads.  Didn't know which would work.

I do not know what "full bleeds" mean. 

I am approaching this the same way I've always set a margin around an image.  This is the first occasion where the set up, establish image, than establish canvas, then print, did not work.
Jim is suggesting establish image, send to to printer, establish media size and center, then print.
I will try but remain baffled.
Thanks again for the help.
David

Manoli

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 12:37:53 pm »

David,

Do try Jim's suggestion - is it a 'yes' or a 'no' ?
Debugging problems requires a 'one step at a time' approach until you eliminate all the potential causes.

douvidl

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 12:41:16 pm »

Jim;
I have done as you suggested.  The epson print driver accepts the 14 x 18 image.  However once the media size is changed the image prints on the MEDIA size not the original size of the image.
THanks again,
David

Manoli,  gee, I didn't know about debugging?  Really?

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 01:10:44 pm »

I have done as you suggested.  The epson print driver accepts the 14 x 18 image.  However once the media size is changed the image prints on the MEDIA size not the original size of the image.

Are you sure you don't have scaling (reduce/enlarge) set in the driver?

Some screen shots of your driver settings would help.

"Full bleed" means that the printer can print up to the very edge of the paper.

Jim
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 01:13:01 pm by Jim Kasson »

Pete Berry

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 01:56:59 pm »

I am aware of the two threads.  Didn't know which would work.

I do not know what "full bleeds" mean.  

I am approaching this the same way I've always set a margin around an image.  This is the first occasion where the set up, establish image, than establish canvas, then print, did not work.
Jim is suggesting establish image, send to to printer, establish media size and center, then print.
Thanks again for the help.
David

Trying to "set" a margin using 'canvas" set to media size confuses the printer, as it treats any canvas setting as printable area, even if left white, and it can't print to the media edge. Even with borderless settings, things have to be fudged a bit, and the image size will rarely be exact.

You've already established the margins by simply choosing an image size and media size that yields 1.5"  margins with "center image" checked, I presume. Trying to manually set margins in any other way for a centered image of specific size is fraught with pitfalls, and I'm amazed that your method has yielded exact image sizes in the past.

With scaling selected to "fit to paper size", the printer will shrink the blank canvas border (and it's image) to accommodate it's minimal printable margin setting, which in most printers is at least 1/8" on each border.

Pete
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 02:09:50 pm by Pete Berry »
Pages: [1]   Go Up