Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Print size problems  (Read 4033 times)

douvidl

Print size problems
« on: May 29, 2014, 02:00:07 pm »

I am attempting to print a 14in X 18in. image on a 17in x 21in canvas. First I set the size of the image, 14 x 18 on PScc, then set the canvas.  The image/canvas size are confirmed on the PScc scales.  Moving over to the print screen (Ep 3880), i set the media at 17 x 21, center, scale  to match media etc.  I even proof the product as a pdf.  (The media is gloss canvas)

The final product is always about 3/8 short on each dimension (length & width) of the image.  Never prints to the full 14 x 18. And the amount "short" on each side is NOT equal.

I am baffled.  Any wisdom, insights magic incantations would be appreciated.

David

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Print size problems
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 05:18:54 pm »

... scale  to match media...

If you are scaling, aren't you effectively resempling, i.e., changing image size? Also, is there a discrepancy between ppi of the image and ppi of the printing engine?

douvidl

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 05:47:35 pm »

The pppi is set at 360ppi, which is native for the R3880.   I 'm not sure what you mean by resempling.  This image size is confirmed, it just prints 3/8 shy on each dimension.  The must be a goblin.
Thanks for responding

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 06:08:07 pm »

If "Scale to Fit Media" is checked, it WILL change print dimensions.

Can you post a screen shot of your Photoshop Print Settings?

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 06:19:24 pm »

I'm fairly new at printing with the 3880 (I just got mine recently), so this is just a question: if you specify borderless printing, doesn't the software trim a small bit off the print (even when talking into account the overspray). I don't know if is it possible to specify borderless and have a larger sized media than the image but it might be worth checking?
Jay W Page

douvidl

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 06:50:22 pm »

Slobadan,

You are correct.  But in this instance, the media was 17 x 21 canvas.  Check the scaling wouldn't effect the image ON the canvas.  The image is what/where I'm having a problem obtaining the correct size, printed. Thanks for thinking.  I remain baffled.

David

douvidl

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 06:55:15 pm »

JayW;
I think you are correct.  But this issue was not "timming" the canvas.  That size that fixed and is what I fed into the printer.  Again, it is the image on the canvas. Imaging an 8 x 10 print on a 10 x 12 canvas. The image will have a 1 in boarder of white all around.  My problem is getting the 8 x 10 print corrected printed at 8 x 10. It comes out 7 5/8 x 9 5/8 on a 10 x 12 canvas/media.  The boarder is now greater than 1 in.
Thanks for thinking.
David

Redcrown

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 07:26:55 pm »

Why "set the canvas" ?

Just print the 14x18 image on 17x21 paper and the image will appear centered at the correct dimensions.

Sounds like you are expanding the canvas in Photoshop to 17x21 (adding a white border) and then printing that 17x21 image on 17x21 paper. In that case the software thinks you are printing border to border. Scale to match media and other borderless options get invoked and can cause confusion.

Pete Berry

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 10:52:13 pm »

Why "set the canvas" ?

Just print the 14x18 image on 17x21 paper and the image will appear centered at the correct dimensions.

Sounds like you are expanding the canvas in Photoshop to 17x21 (adding a white border) and then printing that 17x21 image on 17x21 paper. In that case the software thinks you are printing border to border. Scale to match media and other borderless options get invoked and can cause confusion.

+1 You nailed the problem!

The canvas becomes part of the printable image, even if blank, and in non-borderless printing mode, the printer has obligatory minimal margins.

So: No canvas (which is needed for border strokes, colored margin, etc), center image, and NO SCALING, as this gives the printer leeway to change the precise image size you have set.

PB

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 04:49:30 am »

Get Mirage Print and stop printing from applications. All of your Epson print woes go away.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

douvidl

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 11:02:24 am »

Redcrown & Pete
I did as you suggested.  First off, the image was not centered, second the image was shy by the same amount. As to the first, I don't think you can mess with the intent of the epson driver, and as to the second, I remain baffled.
Thanks
David

Redcrown

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 12:51:28 pm »

Douvidl,

I suspect you have some settings wrong. I do this all the time, printing 16x20 on A3 (17x22) paper with an Epson 3880. Images come out exactly 16x20 and centered. Don't know where you get 17x21 paper, but I can't imagine that printing 14x18 on 17x21 would be any different.

Hope this helps. Here are all the controling windows for printing a 14x18 image on a 17x21 page using Win7 and Epson 3880.

douvidl

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 01:38:31 pm »

Red;
Thanks for the support.  I am running a Mac.  I get the 17x21 from a roll and use that size because if fits a particular frame that I have used in the past. I am convinced there is a goblin at work.
This should be a straight forward job that has blossomed into a dreadful thing.
Thanks again
David

Pete Berry

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 02:07:44 pm »

Redcrown & Pete
I did as you suggested.  First off, the image was not centered, second the image was shy by the same amount. As to the first, I don't think you can mess with the intent of the epson driver, and as to the second, I remain baffled.
Thanks
David

With no canvas setting at all, scaling unchecked, and "center image" checked, with your image left at 14x18" on 17x21" media size, which should automatically produce 1.5" margins all round? If that's truly the case, something very weird going on.

Pete

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 03:33:27 pm »

If you check "Scale to Fit Media," it will change the resolution AND printing dimensions, both for canvas AND the original image, as you can see in the screen shots below.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 03:35:47 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

douvidl

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 10:21:58 am »

If you check "Scale to Fit Media," it will change the resolution AND printing dimensions, both for canvas AND the original image, as you can see in the screen shots below.

No screen shot

Manoli

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 11:15:29 am »

No screen shot

You need to be logged in to see the attachments (screen shots).

Pete Berry

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2014, 05:43:04 pm »

No screen shot

To see for yourself what a confusing and unnecessary step it is to add a canvas to your workflow, set up a smaller version, say on 8.5x11 paper with canvas the same size as the paper. Select a color for the canvas so it becomes visible. Then print, with and without "scale to fit media" checked.

With scaling to fit media, you will see an unprinted small border around the canvas, which represents your printer's minimum border size, and the image itself inside the canvas will be reduced in size relative to original image sizing. Next, print with scaling unchecked. It should still have the same white border, as it can't print the canvas to the edge, but the canvas will be narrower than the first, with the image within the same size as you set up. Here it simply crops the canvas to preserve 100% image scale, whereas in the first case, scaling preserves all the canvas/image, but shrinks it to fit inside the minimum borders.

The utility of the "canvas" option is simply to activate an area you designate outside the image for a printed stroke around the image, colored border, or other manipulations, as long as it doesn't extend past the printer's minimum border width, which is where your problem started, it seems. It has no role in sizing borders at all, which you established with the relationship of image to paper size, with centered image.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 07:55:57 pm by Pete Berry »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2014, 06:13:03 pm »

... Next, print with scaling unchecked....

You do not even have to print to see it (save some paper), just checking and unchecking the "scale to fit" will visually demonstrate the effect, i.e., you will see that your original image (14x18) is shrinking too, not just canvas.

Btw, it shall be noted that, once you set the canvas size (say to 17x21), your image size (originally set as 14x18) becomes also 17x21, as Photoshop now treats the whole thing as one image.
Pages: [1]   Go Up