Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mt Diablo tree  (Read 865 times)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Mt Diablo tree
« on: May 27, 2014, 10:10:26 pm »

No, I wasn't drunk or afflicted with vertigo! I was struck by this dead tree rising up in front of an oddly curved background on Mt Diablo California. I cropped in pretty tight so the left and right branches run off the frame. Comments on composition?

Harald L

Re: Mt Diablo tree
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 02:41:12 am »

Really a nice tree, I would have made a photograph, too. Like the perspective and the colors. But the tight crop doesn't please me. I assume the original picture lacks of head space so you've tried to cope with that. Would you please post an uncropped version?

Harald

PS: A B/W would be a good idea anyway.
Glad to be an amateur

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 03:49:53 am »

Nice tree and nice sky behind it. If you'd been just a fraction lower, the descending branch wouldn't appear to be connecting with the ground, and the branch on the right wouldn't be touching the tree; I think that would have improved the shot. I too would like to see an uncropped version.

Jeremy

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 08:55:00 am »

It was a three part vertical pano from the attached raw files (only corrected for CA here). I tried to get lower but then the sticker bushes started getting to me and in the way and I couldn't get the framing right even though I was using 10 mm on a Nikon 1 v2. Anyway, Jeremy, there you have the whole sad story  ;) I tried B/W but couldn't get enough contrast between the tree and the bkg. I suppose I could doctor it up in PS, but really it was more of an experiment than anything else; may go back and shoot it again on my next visit.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 02:05:00 pm »

It was a three part vertical pano from the attached raw files (only corrected for CA here). I tried to get lower but then the sticker bushes started getting to me and in the way and I couldn't get the framing right even though I was using 10 mm on a Nikon 1 v2. Anyway, Jeremy, there you have the whole sad story  ;)

I think you should go back - it has promise. Wear tougher trousers next time!

Jeremy

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 08:56:30 pm »

Yes, isolating the tree and it's many limbs would be difficult, but is necessary for ultimate success, it would seem. I do like the three dimensionality of the tree limbs reaching out toward us which is only possible with a wide angle.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up