Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question to experts  (Read 941 times)

teebe

Question to experts
« on: May 26, 2014, 08:50:26 pm »

May be I am wrong, surely I can't find any similar post in this forum, I spent long time testing the proper photo print workflow wasting kg's of glossy paper, hundred of ml's of expensive inks and possibly steering my Photo R3000 future to b/w only and finally I saw the light.
I made the usual steps using the 6.71/6.75 Epson driver and many app's, PS LR QU CAPTURE GIMP SILKYPIX obtaining always unsatisfactory results. I did not step to scientific environment, meaning I just used the Epson paper-printer icc but I calibrated repetitively my monitor using X-Rite and Argille.
Results are poor, not justified by the paper quality alone: dark overall, cast shade, limited saturation, weak and dirty reds and too much different from display rendering. Testing (both on or off) application and printer driver as color manager makes similar worse result, suggesting  there was already a phantom color management in normal situation or the os did not link to driver/app output.
However the solution using Epson Easy Photo Print are good.
Nothing compares to this, even pre-correcting in the opposite direction into mentioned app's could not achieve the wanted results.
As side note, Epson made some app plugins to print using Epson CMM (I.e, instead of using Adobe ACE) giving a better result however largely surpassed by EEPP alone.
Can anyone confirm?

hugowolf

Re: Question to experts
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 09:01:20 pm »

With what operating system: Mac, Win, Linux?

Brian A

teebe

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 09:39:31 pm »

win7 Utimate 64b sp1
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 11:51:59 pm by teebe »

hugowolf

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 10:33:13 pm »

Have you tried using other papers? There are plenty better than Epson papers out there with available profiles.

How much of these prints were out of the printer's gamut?

Brian A

teebe

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 11:48:11 pm »

The margin given by using different paper and their icc is minimal compared to error.
Also, as said is not a problem of setting up the proper icc/paper or icc/paper-ink as EEPP prints all the way through with optimal results, regardless of paper brand, ink brand, glossy/premium glossy/premium semi-glossy setup into EEPP app. As for my waste of time and materials I have now enough experience in saying that.
The problem is related to app to printer driver or printer driver output to os or who knows what.
I suggest to have trial with EEPP, the uncomfortable raw basic Epson printing app that (in my opinion) gives on a Photo R3000 the best results overall and then possibly compare your results with mine. My aim is to find what is wrong with mentioned app printing module, when using Epson driver and printer.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 12:02:24 am by teebe »
Pages: [1]   Go Up