Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: folding camera precision for digital sensor  (Read 888 times)

EinstStein

folding camera precision for digital sensor
« on: May 26, 2014, 11:11:55 am »

I had several classical folding camdras, including Zeiss Super Ikonta and Voigtlander Bessa Ii. I snjoy them very much.
There is A weakness inthe folding structure that my Kodak Medalist II outperforms them significantly. Yes, partly also due to the lens construction, since I can control the Medalist to match the focus, and confirm the lens quality but in real usage, it is the focusing  error and the lens to film squareness that causing the major difference.

Nevertheless, they work fine with me since i used them mostly for landscape, especially when putting on tripod, and set to small aperture and infinite distance. yss, the advantage of the portability of folding camera was lost.

Moving into digital changes the equation. I have given up Fujifilm GX680 on any digital usage. Even with 22mp digital back, it requires geared focusing system to appreaciate the digital image. 

In reponse to the digital medkum format  rangefinder camera announcement, I doubt if any folding structure makes a
ny sense.

siebel

• Bryan Siebel Photographer
Re: folding camera precision for digital sensor
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 05:40:23 am »

I have given up Fujifilm GX680 on any digital usage. Even with 22mp digital back, it requires geared focusing system to appreciate the digital image.  

I'm curious about your basis for this rather sweeping claim. I have been shooting MF digital backs on a GX680II system since 1995 (using Leaf DCB1, DCBII, Phase P25, P45+, P65+, Leaf Aptus12 and now Phase IQ180). It's not my primary system any longer, not because it is any less capable a camera but because I am these days shooting mostly architecture and the lack of wide lenses is obviously a major limitation(I am a pro). When I shoot tabletop still life or food (see my website for examples), this is the camera I reach for. I also often use it for people work when I want to use tilt. It's the most versatile system in MF for using mid-to-long focal length lenses in conjunction with a reflex viewing system that I know of. Also, the Fujinon lenses rock (Ask any H system user about the lenses they use). For food shots, I very much prefer it to my Phase DF system or a monorail camera, due mostly to the availability of true TTL reflex viewing and tilt/shift with ALL lenses. The need to use the KG control box is a little cumbersome but well worth the payoff.
I am also not the only one here to use this system with digital backs.
Needless to say, this brown cow doesn't agree with your conclusion.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 10:54:45 am by siebel »
Bryan Siebel

In the end, it's all about the image.
www.bryansiebel.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up