Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: G1X MkII report  (Read 2681 times)

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
G1X MkII report
« on: May 26, 2014, 05:47:15 am »

Just spent this morning taking my first shots with it. Very happy! My requirements are possibly not typical -

I did NOT want an interchangeable lens camera (if I wanted to change lenses I'd use my 1Dx).

I wanted the largest possible sensor in a 'compact' body (I've had a couple of earlier G series).

Need to provide at least A4 300dpi magazine quality images.

It did not have to be 'pocketable' (I have a S95 for that).

A decent zoom range/fast lens.

Only shoot in RAW.

I tested the only other camera that seems to meet all of the above, the Sony RX10, but wasn't really impressed with the quality of the file. The lens is a beauty though. Also as a long time Canon user, it's interface etc was very foreign. Reports on Sony's RAW implementation ( http://diglloyd.com/blog/2014/20140214_1-SonyA7-artifacts-star-trails.html ) also turned me off.

I bought the EVF, large grip, filter attachment & a spare battery - just over AUD$1200 all up. The EVF (first one I've used) is excellent. It is truly a joy to be able to shoot with a compact camera up to my eye instead of being held at arm's length!

Yes the shadows are a tad noisy, but only a tad. Far worse at 100% on the monitor than printed (where they are perfectly fine). Otherwise the only two minor gripes are I wish the Exp Comp (set to the front ring) worked with the shutter button half depressed and that the EVF took more effort to move from the horizontal to vertical orientation. I wear glasses and found that the EVF's rubber eye piece "grabbed" my glasses and moved as I moved my head.

With 70 RAW images taken, all with the EVF, the battery indicator has not moved from Full.

As I said, very happy with it.

capital

• Website
Re: G1X MkII report
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 02:53:49 pm »

Hi Phila,

This camera sounded like an interesting follow up to the first one and improved in close focusing ability, but I find it strange that Canon did away with the unique vari-angle monitor.

A few questions, if you don't mind fielding them...

Does this camera have a built-in 3 stop ND filter?

One other area of the G1X I found a little weak was in the sun star reproduction, how does the G1X MII fare in this regard?

Have you made use of the two different native aspect ratios?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 02:55:44 pm by capital »

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 02:34:30 am »

Does this camera have a built-in 3 stop ND filter? Yes.

One other area of the G1X I found a little weak was in the sun star reproduction, how does the G1X MII fare in this regard? I haven't included the sun in anything I've shot yet so I can't say.

Have you made use of the two different native aspect ratios? Not yet. The EVF only displays the 4:3 view unfortunately so I've stuck with that ratio so far.

capital

• Website
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 09:14:36 pm »

Phila, Thanks for the report.

Well, I guess the sun star rendition also applies to street lights etc.

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 04:23:51 am »

Just a few test shots if they tell you anything (perhaps I should make them larger?). I did include a very deliberate sun flare pic!

www.philaphoto.com/images/G1XMkII_test

Fixed, thanks.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 07:30:09 am by phila »

capital

• Website
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 07:55:40 pm »

#14 shows a nice rendering of the sun w/ minimal ghosting.

Thank you for showing us some samples.

Now that Sony will release a RX100 Version 3, at a similar price point will be interesting to see how the 1inch sensor performs versus this 1.5 inch sensor.

I found a link to one such comparison: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-rx100m3-test-roundup/

Still thinking about cameras in this category, tough choices especially since they are not exactly pocket money prices.
Pages: [1]   Go Up