Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QuadTone RIP questions  (Read 3749 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
QuadTone RIP questions
« on: May 25, 2014, 03:08:39 pm »

I am experimenting with this program on my 7900 - I learned of it from the mention in Jeff's printing book - and there seem to be some inconsistencies between what Jeff says and the say the program works. For one, Jeff says that QTR installs like a printer driver and you select it from Lightroom or Photoshop like any other printer. What I see is that it is a totally independent program and you must export your image as a TIFF and then load it into QTR for printing. Also, Jeff mentions printing 16 bit tiffs while the QTR docs seem quite clear that it is 8 bit only - that a 16 bit tiff can be loaded into QTR but will be converted to 8 bits.

Also (not related to Jeff's book) I see no way to preview on-screen that your print will look like. Really?

Please let me know what, if anything, I am missing.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: QuadTone RIP questions
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 05:39:52 pm »

Well, if you read the section in the book talking about the QTR, you see how it can be configured to exist as an installed print driver...I did it on an R3000 Epson on Mac. I never tested QTR on Windows. Is that what you are using?

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 05:45:42 pm »

Yes, Windows. Could that be the difference?

Some Guy

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 06:00:25 pm »

I've been playing around with QTR in Windows and really don't like QTR as it is too unsharp or blurry to other software programs using the same image, especially Qimage Ultimate.  Put those two side-by-side and print sharpness increase is really evident in QU.  I can see individual hairs in QU, but not so in QTR for some reason.

Then QU doesn't do so well on blending the inks as needed for piezo printing (Whites become washed out compared to QTR, and entire tonal range is shifted from white and less contrast too.) if one uses different inks as it relies on the printer's OEM driver too.

Can't have both it seems.

SG

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 07:17:21 pm »

The version that Jeff shows in the book, is the MAC version, which seems much more user friendly than the Windows version.  The Window version is a stand alone product and acts as a true RIP.  I liked the way the MAC version works enough that I am going to try it. 

The single biggest issue I found with QTR, besides the lack of info on it's use, is the development of the curves.  Everything is  pretty driven by the curves and if you can develop a good one, for a paper type, then you can get excellent results.  There is a large user base and forum and you can find a lot more info in the QTR forum.  I tried QTR with my 9880 with the Epson inkset.  I got some good prints, but I also found the Epson ABW driver does a very good job and moved to it.  As Jeff points out in the book Epson does not give much feedback, so it's a bit of trial and error to find the correct settings for a print. 

The Windows version loads with some paper curves you can try, but most of them are for older paper types.  I have not looked at the code for windows for about 1 year, so newer versions may have some newer curves.

You can also do a lot of web searching about the soft proofing options, by converting the curve to a ICC profile.  Eric Chan did a lot of work for the 3880 and I believe most of this info is still out there and some will cross over to the 7900.  I believe you still can softproof the B &W profiles in windows, but on the MAC this is no longer possible.  At least a lot has been written about this for the MAC.

I would also recommend you try the Epson AWB driver, as the results can be very good.  I use it on Canon Arches, and Platine and get excellent prints.  Epson sadly will not let you use the Media setting "Canvas" when the AWB drive is selected.  Not sure why this is and it should be a simple firmware fix.  You have to use WCRW and that will of course cause the canvas to print short (on the running length), which is why Epson improved the "canvas" media setting for the 7900/9900 series of printers to allow for the RL issues.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 08:05:50 am »

You can also do a lot of web searching about the soft proofing options, by converting the curve to a ICC profile.  Eric Chan did a lot of work for the 3880 and I believe most of this info is still out there and some will cross over to the 7900.  I believe you still can softproof the B &W profiles in windows, but on the MAC this is no longer possible.  At least a lot has been written about this for the MAC.
There is a fair amount in the LuLa archives on this.  You can still prepare ICC profiles and it's relatively easy using the scripting tools that QTR provides.  There are some nuanced changes that are observable in prints but the real value is the ability to use the ABW driver and soft proof which means less wasted paper because one doesn't need to do as many test prints.

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 10:13:25 am »

You might want to sign up for the Yahoo Group for Quad Tone Rip, QuadtoneRIP@yahoogroups.com. Lots of expertise there - Roy Harrington sometimes posts and responds. 
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 08:55:42 am »

Actually, the user forum to me seems to just add confusion in many cases, as no one has the exact same configuration.  What really needs to be done, is Roy, should create a user's manual for the software.  The manual should not be freeware, and anyone familiar with the software would gladly pay for it.

The setup is easy enough, it's the curve's creation that really make or break the use of the software.  I would gladly pay for this as I understand the time involved with creating such a manual.  Something like this could also be done like the LuLa instructional video's.  

For example, even with as much time as I have spent on the forum, I didn't realize that the MAC version loaded like it did, i.e. not a separate program, and could be used from LR.  Plus is seems that a lot more pre-made curves exist for the MAC version.  

Output can be excellent.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:09:07 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 11:58:00 am »

Also (not related to Jeff's book) I see no way to preview on-screen that your print will look like. Really?

Please let me know what, if anything, I am missing.

If you are working in the recommended and supplied space, Lab gray, and your monitor is calibrated anyway, you'll pretty much get what you see on the monitor. Output is calibrated to LAB. Or you can convert to the supplied LAB profiles for matte or photo surfaces. Even better, you can build your own softproof profiles with the tools that come with this free software and use them for softproofing, they will also reflect the hue of the curves you have selected for printing. You can use them for excellent output profiles, obviously, as well.
If you are using QTR for a Cone setup, it's a different workflow, in depth instructions are available from him.
Pages: [1]   Go Up