Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating monitor profile for soft proofing - switching monitor profiles  (Read 1669 times)

The View

I would like to create a monitor profile specifically for soft proofing/printing.

1. Spectraview recommends for the profile "Print Standard" the settings: D50, gamma 1.8, 80 cd/m2

I get the 80cd/m2. But for photo editing I use D65 gamma 2.2 - is it useful to change to a lower gamma and a different white point for printing?

2. How do you switch monitor profiles? Let's say I stop editing and start printing. So I'd like to switch from the calibrated monitor profile for editing to the one for printing. Do I have to go to system preferences/monitor/color/ and switch profiles there?  

Hardware: MacBook Pro retina 10.8.5
                NEC Multiysnc pa 271W calibrated by i1 display pro and Spectraview II with the newest upgrade

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 07:08:57 pm by The View »
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Tony Jay

It makes no sense at all to talk of different monitor profiles for editing/softproofing and then printing!

Whatever the appropriate setup is for editing/softproofing is the correct profile when printing.
I can only think that your desire to have another monitor profile for printing is based on a misunderstanding of the whole post-processing workflow...

The correct monitor profile settings, especially the luminance, is specifically guided by how closely one's prints match the same image on screen.
In my case the luminance is set at 90 cd/m2 but depending on the environment in which you are editing that may be either too dim or too bright. There is no "automatic" setting here. It is all trial-and-error.

Tony Jay
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 08:39:26 pm by Tony Jay »

howardm

I'm not sure it 'makes no sense at all'.  The 'print standard' target simply sets up a set of aim points for the calibration that reflect what they think are average/standard/common parameters to reach good print matching.  I personally use 5500/2.2/85 so it's not that far off in an incandescent PAR30 living room.  I'm imagining you could get the image to how you like it and then switch over to that print stnadard monitor profile & softproof paper and create a layer group to get the print to 'look right' in the mock environment.  I just leave my NEC PA at those aim points all the time

You have to use Spectraview (or Multiprofiler I think) to switch profiles because it's all held in the memory of the display and Spectraview files.  The actual color profile that SV generates for your computer is just a dummy linear profile.

The View

I'm not sure it 'makes no sense at all'.  The 'print standard' target simply sets up a set of aim points for the calibration that reflect what they think are average/standard/common parameters to reach good print matching.  I personally use 5500/2.2/85 so it's not that far off in an incandescent PAR30 living room.  I'm imagining you could get the image to how you like it and then switch over to that print stnadard monitor profile & softproof paper and create a layer group to get the print to 'look right' in the mock environment.  I just leave my NEC PA at those aim points all the time

You have to use Spectraview (or Multiprofiler I think) to switch profiles because it's all held in the memory of the display and Spectraview files.  The actual color profile that SV generates for your computer is just a dummy linear profile.

Thanks, Howard!

I thought it would be great to dim the monitor so I get a more realistic image for soft proofing - but I can't dim the monitor for editing, as the images come out fine for the web.

I have Spectraview II - how do I switch profiles?
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

howardm

Just use the pulldown at the top of the SV window.  You'll see a list of all the saved targets; select the one you want and SV will load it.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs

1) Set the target and other parameters in Spectraview as you want them for general web editing.
2) Run the calibration.
3) Change the target and other parameters in Spectraview as you want them for print editing.
4) Run another calibration.
5) In SV, select File, Load Previous Calibration and select the one you want to use.

The View

So I do the switch in Spectraview, going from "photo editing" to "print", and it will automatically swap the monitor profiles?

Thanks.

howardm

So I do the switch in Spectraview, going from "photo editing" to "print", and it will automatically swap the monitor profiles?

Thanks.

Well, conceptually, yes but as I said previously, there is NO magic to whatever some NEC engineer deemed the correct aim points for
their pre-canned target(s) 'photo editing' or 'print'.  they're just starting points.  make/determine on your own what works best for you and
then you can simply switch between them.  You'll see the monitor flash and tweak itself for 20 seconds while it does the switch; just try it.
If you haven't read through the Spectraview software manual, I'd suggest doing so.

When I was coming up w/ my solution, I ended up making a bunch of targets from 6500->5000 and from 80cd/m2 to 120

The View

I'll probably start out with D65 for printing as well, only with a lower illumination, and then try out other white points for the best print screen.

The colors of my prints work out well, it's the brightness that's sometimes off.
Pages: [1]   Go Up