Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metallic Pearl  (Read 1855 times)

douvidl

Metallic Pearl
« on: May 24, 2014, 09:12:30 am »

I have been using the Moab metallic pearl and would like to try the metallic silver.  Before I ordered, I thought I would check and see if there are any other recommendations for metallic papers that I should think about.  The images to be printed are high, high color, contrasty and not at all bright.  Sort of other worldly.  see attached.
Thanks
David

shadowblade

Re: Metallic Pearl
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 09:31:44 am »

Moab Slickrock metallic pearl/silver are pretty much the best ones out there. Even dye-sub metal prints aren't metallic or pearlescent in look - they're more ultra-glossy.

I just wish someone would put the metallic surface on a more permanent and durable, non-RC, less OBA-loaded base - it would be really nice on a cotton paper base, like a metallic version of Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl.

Some Guy

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 11:28:21 am »

I tend to favor the Inkpress Metallic papers.  Theirs seems to be more like a pearl textured surface where some others call it that, but theirs looks more like a glossy or satin finish than having a pebbled textured surface.

Red River metallic comes to mind as it appears more of a gloss to me.  Perhaps they feel the metallic look is more satin-like than the surface itself?  Wish they'd come to an agreement on the surface's "textured finish" rather than looks or appearance of the image or coating.

SG

feckman

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 01:11:42 pm »

I just got a roll of the metallic silver and I'm none too impressed.  The metallic properties are definitely there, but it's really, REALLY dark stuff and I can't find a profile to give me great results on a Canon ipf8300, just "okay" which isn't what I was hoping for.

Regardless, the paper seems like it would be to be better suited to high-contrast and/or black and white images.  I'll keep searching for the right profile, but in the meantime I'm sticking with my tried-and-true Lexjet Sunset Metallic.

EDIT: If you'd like, I can print that image and post a photo to show the results on Slickrock Silver 300.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 01:17:10 pm by feckman »

douvidl

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 01:57:50 pm »

I would really appreciate the post.  Thanks
David

feckman

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 07:32:20 pm »

Sounds good.  I'll print and post a photo tomorrow.  Stay tuned...

feckman

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 08:20:58 pm »

Not the best photos, but hopefully they give you an idea of how your stuff would print on this paper.  This is from Photoshop using the Slickrock Silver ICC profile through the Canon Photoshop plugin to an ipf8300.  I had to boost the levels a bit in Photoshop because the original was so dark it looked nearly black.  The first two photos are indoors and the second is in bright sunlight.  The photos were taken with an Olympus Stylus 1 and have had no post processing.

Honestly, the more I test with this paper, the less I like it.  I called Moab for help with their profile on the 8300, but I never got a call back.

Hope this helps.

douvidl

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 07:05:27 pm »

Feckman;
Thanks for all your efforts.  I can see that the "metallic silver"  is silver, much more so than metallic pearl.  Me thinks the silver would compete with the image.
Thanks again.
David

tektrader

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 06:57:32 pm »

I have been using red river 80 pound metallic and love it using the HP 3100. ATM it's my preferred gloss paper.

the results are great
Pages: [1]   Go Up