Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Merging a panorama in photoshop  (Read 1583 times)

BarbaraArmstrong

Merging a panorama in photoshop
« on: May 22, 2014, 04:33:30 pm »

Help!  I don't understand the message I get in "Automate" in PS, when I go to create a panorama, that the files need to be saved before they can be merged.  What am I supposed to do?  The files are already in a folder together on my hard drive.  They have been saved from the memory card.  What to do?  Help will be greatly appreciated.  --Barbara

Dave Ellis

Re: Merging a panorama in photoshop
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 02:17:39 am »

Barbara

I have received this message before but only if I've done any editing on the files since opening them. You just need to re-save them, preferably as separate copies without replacing the originals on your hard drive.

Dave

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 03:15:08 am »

Thanks Dave.  I will try it.  I went back to working on some panoramas from a different folder, and didn't encounter this problem.  I'll try your suggestion when I encounter it again -- hope it works.  This isn't the first time I've seen this message.  Mystifying...  Thanks again, Barbara

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 03:38:49 am »

Thanks Dave.  I will try it.  I went back to working on some panoramas from a different folder, and didn't encounter this problem.  I'll try your suggestion when I encounter it again -- hope it works.  This isn't the first time I've seen this message.  Mystifying...  Thanks again, Barbara

Hi Barbara,

Maybe there was a Profile conversion without asking for permission? Check your Color preferences settings.

Anyway, in such a case where you're asked to first save, just close the images you have opened, and select them directly with the automate plugin.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 05:44:55 pm »

Bart, many thanks for your response to my dilemma.  I had previously paid no attention to the "Browse" button in Photomerge, as I have always previously selected the photos I want to work on.  I take it that is how you suggest I open images if I am having trouble with the "save" message.  Also, I capture images in sRGB in-camera, but process them in ProPhoto.  Is that what you meant by the profile conversion?  Funny that sometimes I run into the "save" message problem, and other times not.  I do really appreciate the help with this.  --Barbara

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 08:30:54 am »

Bart, many thanks for your response to my dilemma.  I had previously paid no attention to the "Browse" button in Photomerge, as I have always previously selected the photos I want to work on.  I take it that is how you suggest I open images if I am having trouble with the "save" message.

Yes, that's what I meant.

Also, I capture images in sRGB in-camera, but process them in ProPhoto.  Is that what you meant by the profile conversion?

Do you shoot JPEGs, or Raw? The JPEG settings only apply to the Camera JPEGs. When you process Raw images, you may have assigned a different colorspace than your default Working space. When you later open those files, there will be a profile conflict, which can be settled automatically, or by asking for approval (these are preferences in Color Settings). When the colorspace was changed from the saved file's colorspace, then the Photomerge gets 'confused' and asks to first resave the open files, or use the originals as stored.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 04:03:58 pm »

Bart, thank you for your clear and detailed answer to my questions.  I think you have hit upon my problem.  First of all, I shoot raw.  I actually shoot raw plus jpg, but only use the raws for processing.  In ACR, I have set ProPhoto as my color space.  I had not, however, realized that I needed to independently set the color space in PS.  So I have just gone into the color settings and set my working space to ProPhoto (from the default sRGB!).  I did this in both PS6 and for the Cloud software.  If I go to files that are already on my hard drive, to work them, will I need to resave them in the larger color space first?  Many of these are not raws now, but Sigma files saved to 16-bit tiffs, which I often open first in ACR.  I am self-taught in Photoshop, but have read a tremendous amount, including most of Martin Evening's tomes, but there is too much to readily absorb -- I say this in some defense of my ignorance in some areas.  Thank you for your help. --Barbara
Pages: [1]   Go Up