Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: RawTherapee 4.1 is out, with greatly improved medium format support.  (Read 23515 times)

torger

Re: RawTherapee 4.1 is out, with greatly improved medium format support.
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 09:54:59 am »

It's a bit slow to publish new builds on the main web. I make the OS X builds, so here's a preview OS X build which contains the latest fixes:

http://torger.dyndns.org/rt-bugs/RawTherapee_OSX_10.7_64_4.1.26.zip

I will remove that link when the build is available on the main web. I don't make the windows builds so you'll have to wait for someone else to build that, or compile yourself  ;)

This build should work with IR modified cameras and other monochrome cameras like Leica M Monochrom and Phase One Achromatic. If you are going to use a monochrome file, be sure to read the docs:
http://50.87.144.65/~rt/w/index.php?title=Demosaicing#Monochrome_Cameras

There's also support for H5D-50c and IQ250 and a bunch of other Hasselblad and Leaf Credo and etc, and all the previous Phase Ones of course.

ondebanks

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 09:50:37 am »

Hi Torger,

Thanks, I tried out that new build - seems to work great!

Ray

haplo602

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 02:16:56 am »

This software is quite frustrating ... I need to convert a few Samsung NX raw files on my windows laptop (win7 64 bit), downloaded 4.1.38, can't get it to start up (crashes every single time). Tried 4.1.1 as the latest stable version, I cannot even close the "What's new" window. Crashes every single time on startup.

The only time it loads properly is when I ask it to open a file directly (however I want to convert all of them as a batch). So something is hosed up in default startup. I even tried to start it in the directory with the raw files (51 files total), same story.

It works much better under Linux and I got an earlier version to work on Windows, but 4.1 is unusable for me. Is there an option to start it CLEAN, like no action is taken unless I tell it to ?

torger

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 11:22:54 am »

This software is quite frustrating ... I need to convert a few Samsung NX raw files on my windows laptop (win7 64 bit), downloaded 4.1.38, can't get it to start up (crashes every single time). Tried 4.1.1 as the latest stable version, I cannot even close the "What's new" window. Crashes every single time on startup.

The only time it loads properly is when I ask it to open a file directly (however I want to convert all of them as a batch). So something is hosed up in default startup. I even tried to start it in the directory with the raw files (51 files total), same story.

It works much better under Linux and I got an earlier version to work on Windows, but 4.1 is unusable for me. Is there an option to start it CLEAN, like no action is taken unless I tell it to ?

Probably it crashes because it gets some problem with a file in the start directory.

Look in your user's system dir AppData\Local\RawTherapee4.1 and edit the options file with notepad. Change "StartupPath" to something else. If you want to start real clean remove the RawTherapee4.1 directory

haplo602

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 04:16:53 am »

Probably it crashes because it gets some problem with a file in the start directory.

Look in your user's system dir AppData\Local\RawTherapee4.1 and edit the options file with notepad. Change "StartupPath" to something else. If you want to start real clean remove the RawTherapee4.1 directory

I figured that out after 3 crashes (and a bit of googling around) .... However I had to point it to an empty directory and then change to the raw directory .... if I point it into the raw directory at start, it crashes ...

The main problem is, there should be a safe mode startup available without editing config files.

Mike in Kansas

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 10:21:59 pm »

Hi torger-

I was hanging out on dpreview and the Rawtherapee forums and it was suggested that I reach out to you.  I am looking for an OSX compiled version of the most recent Rawtherapee, which has the ability to process Fuji X-trans RAW files.  Have you compiled one yet, and if so, can I get a version?   Thanks so much!

torger

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 10:07:43 am »

Hi torger-

I was hanging out on dpreview and the Rawtherapee forums and it was suggested that I reach out to you.  I am looking for an OSX compiled version of the most recent Rawtherapee, which has the ability to process Fuji X-trans RAW files.  Have you compiled one yet, and if so, can I get a version?   Thanks so much!

Hello, yes I'm the guy that usually makes the OSX builds. I mostly run the Linux and Windows versions myself though.

Unfortunately I'm on vacation now not able to reach my OSX build box. But I'll see what I can do...

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 10:10:41 am »

In the meanwhile I can speak from personal experience that capture one pro does a fantastic job with color and detail out of the fuji x-pro 1, and have via client experience heard it does well on the other xtrans files.

The trial is free for 60 days.

(Note my bias - see my signature)

torger

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 10:28:21 am »

Via three SSH tunnels and two remote desktop systems I finally reached my build box on a slow remote link. Here you have an OS X build made minutes ago, if you can't wait for it apperaing on the official site:

http://torger.dyndns.org/rt-bugs/RawTherapee_OSX_10.7_64_4.1.42.zip

I haven't tried to run it, but hopefully it works. Don't worry that it's built on 10.7, it's compatible with the latest OSX.

torger

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 10:44:35 am »

I have no idea of the status of the X-trans demosaicing quality in RT, haven't tested it myself. It's probably not as on-the-frontline-of-quality as RT's Amaze demosacier is for normal bayer arrays. Anyway, it's a start. Do compare with the competition.

Most that use RT use other tools too. I'm myself a multi-tool user. From a look perspective it can be nice to use a toolchain that not everyone else is using.

Mike in Kansas

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2014, 12:24:57 pm »

Via three SSH tunnels and two remote desktop systems I finally reached my build box on a slow remote link. Here you have an OS X build made minutes ago, if you can't wait for it apperaing on the official site:

http://torger.dyndns.org/rt-bugs/RawTherapee_OSX_10.7_64_4.1.42.zip

I haven't tried to run it, but hopefully it works. Don't worry that it's built on 10.7, it's compatible with the latest OSX.

Thanks so much, and sorry to disturb your vacation!!  Hope you are someplace nice with awesome photography subjects...

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2014, 04:15:56 pm »

There's also native support for Adobe (Lightroom/Camera Raw) DCP profiles and Capture One ICC profiles, so if you own any of those programs you can use profiles from there if you want to.
Stupid question before I download (I did look at the manual): does the product support my converted DNG's? The manual doesn't appear to outright state it can.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

torger

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2014, 04:31:05 pm »

Stupid question before I download (I did look at the manual): does the product support my converted DNG's? The manual doesn't appear to outright state it can.

Yes it should... I use DNGs with it all the time. It should support even floating point DNGs these days. The best way is to test though, and be nice if it doesn't work ;). There are many types of DNGs and not all are supported. I don't think linear DNGs are supported, and maybe not all B&W types (Leica's should work though) or odd mosaic arrangements.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2014, 04:33:48 pm »

Thanks, will now download! I'm not using Linear DNG's at all, so not a concern. But 99% of my raw library files are converted to DNG and I'm always looking at other raw converters besides my standby, Lightroom that supports them.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2014, 05:39:30 pm »

Downloaded, no issues with DNGs. Wow, a lot going on in this pup, could take awhile to uncover all the functionality. But so far, pretty impressive.

ppmax2

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2014, 07:49:49 pm »

Doh--no more white point adjustments in the Raw tab. I heard that this would likely be removed but it was useful.

Just discovered that white point adjustment is now in it's own section.

Downloaded, no issues with DNGs. Wow, a lot going on in this pup, could take awhile to uncover all the functionality. But so far, pretty impressive.

Compared to the last Mac build of 4.1.26, what else new are you seeing? I just installed the new version and don't see anything new besides this plus the X-trans sensor support.

Thanks Torger for the new build!

thx
PP

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2014, 08:55:12 pm »

Compared to the last Mac build of 4.1.26, what else new are you seeing?
For me, everything, first time I've download it.

ppmax2

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2014, 01:00:32 am »

Then welcome to the club. I'm a relatively new member of the RT club myself. Lots to like in RT (noise reduction, sharpening, Lab space tone curves) but also lots to bang your elbows on (the myriad ways to adjust tones/color, lots of clicks to do simple things...can't anyone make a simple block of controls to adjust hue, saturation, value, and range one one place?)

Overall it's impressive with a somewhat steep learning curve but definitely worth getting to know. Currently I'm gouging my eyes out trying to reproduce a render of an image I did in C1...just can't get it to look right in RT. It's an interesting challenge to try and reproduce a print you like in a completely different tool, and the effort required is certainly partially due to knowing one tool better than the other...but also illuminates how different design decisions and UIs can ultimately enable and/or hinder the user in achieving their goal.

Good luck
PP

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2014, 03:49:46 am »

I'm a little late to the news of the RT upgrade but does the latest version work with the old Mamiya ZD files? The previous vesrion opened them but they were all green and 'orrible.

torger

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2014, 05:35:30 am »

but also illuminates how different design decisions and UIs can ultimately enable and/or hinder the user in achieving their goal.

RT is more of an experiment box for interested image algorithm developers and digital photography interested users rather than a fast to learn efficient production tool.

Personally I find it to be a great tool for artistic low volume work and I do all my medium format landscape work in it (with some aid of other post-processing tools when needed), but I fire up Lightroom when I have 1500 images from the latest sports shoot to deal with.

We in the developer group know about the issue that RT allows to do things in multiple ways, RT is not at all as user-friendly as Lightroom. We do strive to make it more user-friendly and take one step at a time, but it will never be as stream-lined as say Lightroom. Developers come and go based on time and interest, each developer has typically interest in some smaller subset functionality and put an effort into that.

Simply put we don't have the resources and continuity to make it a streamlined application as user-friendly as the commercial apps.

I also find it quite interesting from an educational perspective to for example have four different curve types. Few actually know how a contrast curve affects color, but RT can demonstrate this really well. We have standard RGB curve (ie Capture One way), we have Adobe's film-like curve (close but not same to RGB), a more color-neutral weigthed curve and the theoretically neutral luminance curve (but will actually produce a perceptually desaturated result). Likewise we allow selecting different demosaicers, which in a streamlined user-friendly app would be an auto-choice of course.

So if you ask me I actually prefer if we don't make it too user-friendly but instead leave options for the user to experiment with various processing methods. User-friendly means cutting away all but one tool for making a specific task, reduce slider ranges to not include "crazy range", and make many settings automatic. While this would make it more competitive with Lightroom and C1, it would also rob the user of understanding of how digital photography works. RT is "rawer", while commercial tools try to immitate film behaviour.

That said RT can be used quite efficiently, with your own custom profiles and reducing the number of tools you use.

My own pet hate of RT is the default profile which enables auto-levels ("auto tone"), typically works well for high contrast landscape images but sucks for everything else (there's an ongoing debate of replacing it). You can replace that default profile with your own though, which is what I have done, with just a DCP and a curve.

As a Lightroom and C1 owner I enjoy the possibilty to use both Lightroom DCPs and C1 ICCs in RT. For my MF back I use a custom DCP, but when I casually process files from my compact I generally use ICCs from C1 (which I think has better color than Adobe). Note that C1 ICC are designed to be used with a standard (RGB) curve, and Lightroom DCPs with a film-curve if you want to replicate their looks.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:40:58 am by torger »
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up