Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad focus tips?  (Read 9366 times)

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
Re: Hasselblad focus tips?
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2014, 11:05:08 pm »

my point is I have found nailing focus with legacy mfdb is harder than dslr and concluded there may be no technical solution

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 11:06:08 pm »

Probably. It's tough ton tell but it seems or be consistently front focusing. Focus in shots of Jess is on her hair.

douglevy

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014, 11:07:08 pm »

That's the thing. It's a brand new credo40. Old h1.

jerome_m

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2014, 02:12:47 am »

The H1/H3 focus can be extremely accurate, but is not perfect. There are two things that bug me about it:
  • it is a bit slower than it appears. Often, it first locks but not quite on the spot and, if you wait a few tenths of second longer, will then adjust a bit. If you don't wait these tenths of second, your focus will be a bit off.
  • indeed sometimes it simply front focus a little bit and stays there. This happens more often in poorer light or when the patch of subject has less contrast or has some extension in depth.

Fortunately, the viewfinder on the H line is gorgeous. When I pay attention to the focus on the ground glass or focus manually, I can catch the occasional front focus error.

Then, if your camera consistently front focusses, the back may be at the wrong distance. The back resides on 4 metal patches around the sensor area. These surfaces are machined at a very precise height. You may want to clean them and mount/unmount your back a few times to make sure it is correctly set.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 02:17:40 am by jerome_m »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2014, 05:30:10 am »

Focus looks to be on 5.5 (as Nick said) and not on the 6. If 6 was what you were aiming for than the combination is definitely front focussing. Your image of the face seems to confirm that. It looks like the eyebrows are in focus and not the eyes.

If you can get hold of another body to try, it would be good to find out if this issue is in the body or back.

douglevy

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2014, 09:35:57 am »

I emailed hasselblad service yesterday and they recommended updating my firmware, I wonder if old fw/new back could be it. Will also try cleaning contacts. Thanks!

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2014, 01:14:50 pm »

It seems if your focusing is consistent in the same amount in front with 40 shots of your dogs, and you do get sharp shots,  then you can rule out mirror shake, diopters, eyesight, and all that stuff and concentrate on a camera adjustment issue.  Reading that you have a new Credo on an H1, I'd be looking at the sensor spacing as the culprit. A small difference in the sensor placement will cause this kind of consistent error. If your shots are consistently front focusing then the sensor spacing is too big - too far away from the camera.  Ideally you'd get your sensor spacing adjusted by Leaf via your dealer, but its also possible to fix this issue by adjusting your camera - focusing screen and whatever tuning is required for the HB autofocus.    And its also possible that your camera focus screen is out of adjustment.  To rule that out you could check the following - see if your autofocus consistently focuses to the same spot your eye does, and also shoot some film with a film back to see if the focus manually by eye is accurate on film.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 01:16:23 pm by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

douglevy

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2014, 01:33:12 pm »

Actually, good idea, I have an older back, will do a few more tests.

jerome_m

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2014, 03:23:38 pm »

I did a few calculation to find out what error would be necessary on the back adjustment to get the kind of error you seem to have. Let us say that you have a 100 mm lens, focus 2 m away and get a front focus of 2 cm. Using Descartes formula ( 1/p+1/p'=1/f ), I find that the back is 50 µm too far. That is about half the size of a human hair.

If you talk to a machinist, you will find that milling the contact surfaces between your camera and the back with a precision of 10 µm is an achievement and that temperature drift will probably mean your surfaces are not at the 10 µm position that is necessary. Maybe the camera AF electronics take temperature drift into account, I don't know.

Anyway, the message here is that AF accuracy is dependent on the four shining metal squares around the sensor on your back and on your camera are positioned with an accuracy of 10 µm or better. Obviously, any dirt on these pads will have some thickness, move your back away from where it should be and cause some front focus error. You don't need much dirt to be 10-20 µm thick, 10 µm is a tenth of a human hair size.

If everything is clean and you have mounted and dismounted your back a few times to insure that these 4 surfaces are correctly mated and you still get front focus, I would ask the back manufacturer, since you said that your camera has been adjusted recently. In the back, there are positioning screws to move the sensor a tiny bit forward. With the right equipment, this is a trivial adjustment.

douglevy

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2014, 03:24:20 pm »

Same setup as last night, P25+. Tack sharp. Looks like a back issue.

NickT

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2014, 04:13:32 pm »

She looks pretty focussed to me...

douglevy

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2014, 04:15:39 pm »

That's my point. I shot that with the p25+ not the new credo that is apparently chasing the issues. Going to capture integration tmrw.

douglevy

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2014, 03:17:38 pm »

Thanks for all the help everyone. Spent the morning with Louis and Dave at Capture Integration and the camera's going to Hasseblad for repair.

douglevy

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2014, 12:07:33 pm »

Update, camera went off to Hasselblad to fix, $600 in repairs.

Chris Livsey

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2014, 02:34:18 am »

Update, camera went off to Hasselblad to fix, $600 in repairs.
Thank you, but what was the issue? Autofocus or the spacing studs?
Sounds more serious than either as fixed price autofocus calibration is £162 UK pds +VAT + carriage, contact pins (? spacers or electrical) £203, here in he UK, well not here exactly when done in Sweden  ;)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 04:19:31 am by Chris Livsey »

douglevy

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2014, 09:12:02 am »

All new lens mounts, new focusing screen, new mirror, full cleaning, firmware update

Chris Livsey

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2014, 03:29:30 pm »

All new lens mounts, new focusing screen, new mirror, full cleaning, firmware update

A wonder it was working  ;D
Appreciated.
I have just sent a H1 off for focus check, no issues but is early firmware as well and only a film back available. Cheaper to send to Sweden than rent a back for a day. Hoping they don't come back with that kind of bill.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up