Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad focus tips?  (Read 9369 times)

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
Hasselblad focus tips?
« on: May 19, 2014, 08:50:17 pm »

So I've been shooting with the h1 since January, and can't seem to consistently nail focus. I'm shooting with a tripod for most of it (now) and seem to struggle anytime I'm wider than f/8. I'm using mostly the 50 and 80. Tips? Or just more practice? Thanks!

NickT

Re: Hasselblad focus tips?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 11:25:30 pm »

You may already be doing this but...

Set the Camera to Manual focus. Set the user button to "AF Drive". Frame for focus (i.e. put the focus brackets on the eyes) and press the user button, then re-compose and shoot. Once you get used to it the AF is very good (granted it is only single point).

There is a margin of error when doing this depending on degree of movement, focal length, technique etc. These issues are mostly corrected by Hasselblad's True Focus system (which you don't get on an H1 alas).

douglevy

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 11:43:43 pm »

Thanks, and yes, I do that, holdover from shooting that way on my Nikons. There may be a h4x in my future, but I'm kinda hoping for an h6x with even 10-15 focus points.

epines

• ethan pines photography
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 07:08:21 pm »

You might want to get that checked out. I use an H3DII (no True Focus, as with your H1), and I find the focus to be very good. Even with only one central focus point, even with focusing and recomposing.

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 10:19:42 pm »

I´ve been shooting Contax 645 with mfdb for a couple of years either on a tripod with cable release or on a monopod and still have more trouble nailing focus than I ever did with any DSLR... for many reasons one of which is what is out of focus is much easier to pixel peep on an mfdb file, and another is to be rich enough to play with mfdb rather than dslr I had to wait until I was old enough my eyes don´t work so good... though your problem more likely can be blamed on the camera and buying a more expensive one with gizmos like true focus is sure to fix it.

douglevy

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 10:22:28 pm »

I'm not sure I follow your point. I'm conceding the problem is likely user error, not the camera.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 12:40:00 am »

Hi,

Checking out if your AF works correctly is a good idea. The lens align target would be good for that.

Best regards
Erik

So I've been shooting with the h1 since January, and can't seem to consistently nail focus. I'm shooting with a tripod for most of it (now) and seem to struggle anytime I'm wider than f/8. I'm using mostly the 50 and 80. Tips? Or just more practice? Thanks!
Erik Kaffehr

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 02:57:48 am »

Thanks, and yes, I do that, holdover from shooting that way on my Nikons. There may be a h4x in my future, but I'm kinda hoping for an h6x with even 10-15 focus points.

I use H4 and H5 and would certainly not want that! TF works like a charm. Just concentrate on 1 focuspoin, focus and recompose to the desired composition. Sharpness is almost always where I want it. This works much more precise than any system that has even a lot of focus points. These points always seem to be in the wrong place for me no matter how many points I have.

If you get the hang of using TF you realize that having more than 1 focus point kind of defeats the purpose.

douglevy

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 12:34:03 pm »

Interesting. Thanks! I did some more testing, I really think it's just user error. I need to shoot slower, maybe at faster shutter speeds than I'm used to, and really slow my process down.

leifhurst

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 12:40:27 pm »

I've found with the much larger viewfinder that I can usually spot focus problems in camera. If you're shooting at really shallow DOF though, I would definitely tell you to slow down and have your subject slow down in there too.

Go Go

• New York Editorial Photographer
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 12:43:57 pm »

Hey Doug,

Check and test your diopter adjustment. You might find like I have that a plus diopter adjustment will help you focus the lens more accurately.

Good luck,
Giorgio

NickT

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 04:10:42 pm »

What Giorgio said. Adjust the diopter until the LCDs in the viewfinder are sharpest.

Also consider experimenting with the mirror delay as you might be seeing vibration induced softness?

Nick-T

douglevy

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 04:18:31 pm »

Hmmm. Did some more testing. Did some more testing. I think it might actually be the camera (very frustrating). 40+ photos of one of my dogs sitting still, ISO 50 and 100. When I look at them in C1 with focus mask turned on, it's consistently front focusing. (See attached screen shot with focus mask turned on). These are all at 2.8, yes, but I'm reactivating focus each time, and she's not moving. True, I was shooting handheld, but with 1/500 (80mm lens), I'd think these should be sharp. My technique isn't THAT bad. This is even more annoying because the camera was cleaned and checked by a local Hassy authorized repair place in February.

Thoughts? Thanks for the continued help.

-Doug

NickT

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 05:13:06 pm »

Hi Doug
I'm not a C! user but seems to me the sharp bits are in line with the dog's eyes?

I would set up a controlled test. Camera on tripod, decent shutter speed and point 45 degrees down at a ruler and see if it's focussing where you think it is. This will confirm if the camera is front focussing.  You could also test various mirror delay settings.

HTH
Nick-T

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 05:26:52 pm »

I think 50ms mirror delay is the default. I have always set that to 100ms. As Nick suggested, try a controlled setup to find out whether your HB is front or back focussing. A matter of deduction, if the body is not front or back focussing, it might be user error.

Gel

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 05:58:03 pm »

Definitely up that mirror delay to at least 100ms. The mirror packs a hell of a whallop.

The Hasselblad always seemed a bit poor at getting correct focus when you have to recompose. The H4 with True Focus though, mindblowing.

douglevy

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 07:56:30 pm »

Thanks everyone, will do a test here shortly. How does true focus work if you do more than focus and recompose, but change the distance to the subject slightly? Seem inevitable? Maybe a different topic, but just wondering.

NickT

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 09:32:22 pm »

That's a good point Doug and yes if you move when re-composing then you are going to effect the plain of focus. I was a beta tester for True Focus and we looked at this, in my case and for whatever reason I don't move back and forth much when re-composing but this probably varies with the individual.

As others have said True Focus works very well.

Nick-T

douglevy

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 10:45:39 pm »

Well now I'm just as confused as before. The shot of my wife, focus point on her eye, is definitely out, the shot of the colorchecker/ruler looks in (focus point was put on the 6). Both shot from tripod, shot of Jes sis at F/4 and still looks out.

NickT

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2014, 11:04:17 pm »

(focus point was put on the 6).

Looks focussed in front of the 6 (@ 5.5) no?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up